GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Morimoto D2H HID issue

Pez

So I got a D2H HID kit like I've seen so many others get, but they are not like I expected, not like any morimoto XB D2H I can find.. the bulb is hard wired onto the connector so the leads cannot be disconnected to pass through the headlight housing that you drill

to fit it through a hole it would have to be at least 1.2 inches which is the size where it connects to the ballast (smaller than the bulb), when the grommet is ~0.8 inches wide, leaving a large gap for moisture to seep in. It also seems too difficult to mount into the headlight..

am I missing something or ???

Last edited:

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
That is strange how you can't unplug from the back of the bulb. You should be able to take the 9006 piece apart and have the metal prongs go through the dust cap then re assemble the 9006.

Pez

Thanks, that's what the shop told me to do too, apparently these are new style bulbs from morimoto.. unpined it and got it to fit :D

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
From my understanding the D2H is hard wired whereas the D2S can be disconnected. I just got mk7.5 reps for my mk7 and have been doing way too much research into lighting crap the past few days.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
From my understanding the D2H is hard wired whereas the D2S can be disconnected. I just got mk7.5 reps for my mk7 and have been doing way too much research into lighting crap the past few days.

Interesting, my D2H were not hard wired, must have been the older bulb type. Did you order your headlights from Aliexpress? Curious what they look like on the MK7, I hope you bought the correct ones as the 7.5 ones will not fit on the 7.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, my D2H were not hard wired, must have been the older bulb type. Did you order your headlights from Aliexpress? Curious what they look like on the MK7, I hope you bought the correct ones as the 7.5 ones will not fit on the 7.

Yes, I am the genius who's being the test mule for the rest of us. I purchased the mk7.5 style intended to be used on the mk7 cars. Still trying to get answers from the company on the wiring setup. I have ordered the HID kit which is due in later this week. I know one pin in the headlight harness needs to be moved but still unsure of the operation for the one bulb. initially they said it was a "position light" (parking light???) but then they said its a high beam. It's a single LED in a halogen housing. idk we'll see.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, my D2H were not hard wired, must have been the older bulb type.

"What exactly is D2H? D2S components too big/bulky behind the projector for your application? D2H to the rescue! The D2H bulbs use the same D2S base, but with wires coming out of them rather than the push-and-turn D2S ballast head required for installation. The D2H size can free up to 1" of depth or more from the back of the bulb. Save the frustration--go D2H!"

source: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/d2h-morimoto-elite.html

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Yes, I am the genius who's being the test mule for the rest of us. I purchased the mk7.5 style intended to be used on the mk7 cars. Still trying to get answers from the company on the wiring setup. I have ordered the HID kit which is due in later this week. I know one pin in the headlight harness needs to be moved but still unsure of the operation for the one bulb. initially they said it was a "position light" (parking light???) but then they said its a high beam. It's a single LED in a halogen housing. idk we'll see.

Haha I feel you, I was the test mule for the 7.5 one. We'll see how they hold up long term.

If your headlights are anything like mine, that one LED is the "high-beam" since the projector is bi-xenon and doesn't do anything except run 24/7 as a sort of DRL I guess. The headlights should be plug and play, have you tried to run it as-is?

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Haha I feel you, I was the test mule for the 7.5 one. We'll see how they hold up long term.

If your headlights are anything like mine, that one LED is the "high-beam" since the projector is bi-xenon and doesn't do anything except run 24/7 as a sort of DRL I guess. The headlights should be plug and play, have you tried to run it as-is?

sent you a PM. This is more helpful than the past 7 days of correspondence with the manufacturer!

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
We have a brand new D2H model coming out and a few members testing them. They detach from the back so we will keep you updated. We have nothing against competitors or this brand and not our point in posting. We just receive many emails and want to come up with something better.

We also offer the H7 that you can remove from the base for an easier install - the H7 is basically the same as the D2H in terms of style/brightness:
http://deautokey.com/product/h7-hid...7-including-but-not-limited-helix-ed-s-spyder

DIY - only difference in video it is a H7rc (smaller/shorter bulb) vs the FULL size H7 in link above.

Many are running with great success.

Pez

I’ll be installing my 7.5 onto my 2018 this weekend hopefully, got all the lighting stuff settled out now ��

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I suspect morimoto was having arcing issues with the detachable model. I had some h1 that did that. Trs promptly replaced, but likely got tired of it and sealed them up.