GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Baun Performance FMIC Installation Guide

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Upon request I’m doing a written version of the install. Video version here https://youtu.be/v8GetCdt1Zw

This is for reference only, do this at your own risk!

Also, yes there are two different cars in these pictures. Some are mine, some are Shaggz from my install video/his install.

Anyway, here it goes:
READ THESE NOTES!!

-Anti seize or lubricant on all stainless mounting hardware

-Lift or jackstands (don’t use ramps)

-triple check all measurements BEFORE drilling

-low drill speed/high pressure and cobalt or carbide drill bits

Safely jack the car (DO NOT use ramps, I’m told bumper removal is near impossible) and put it on jackstands to allow access to the under side of the bumper and engine bay.

Remove (x2) T25 screws from the upper grille. Pull upward and forward firmly to release the clips.

Remove the belly pan, lower fender liner screws, and bumper screws (all are t25). Leaving the key in ACC will allow you to turn the wheels by hand from outside the car to allow access to bumper and fender liner screws are required.

BEFORE removing the bumper cover make sure you unplug the fog light harness so you don’t damage them. To release them, push inward (tight) and then use a small flathead to push the release lever/button. If it doesn’t “pop” loose start over and try again. If not you will break the clips. The other steps in this write up that require unplugging any wiring will follow this same procedure.

Next pull and remove the foam piece from the bumper rebar (not pictured)

Unplug the outside air temp sensor, and the rubber flappy deflection things

Next unclip and remove the air guide shrouds from the bumper cover, these will not be reused

Next bend or break the out side air temp sensor mounting tab. Grinding it completely smooth will give the best clearance for a step later in the install.

Unbolt, remove, flip and remount both horns (drivers & passengers side) so they sit on top of the OEM brackets

Now I didn’t take a before picture of this, so just look at your SAI pump. This step you’ll re route the wire harness using a factory hole to secure the factory wire clamp (removed from downward pointing bracket.

You can either cut and remove this bracket (as seen in the pics) or unbolt it, remove, bend the bracket horizontal, then re install. Either way you’re gaining clearance to install the charge piping

Zip tie the outside air temp sensor inboard of the drivers side horn. This is still in unobstructed airflow

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ok so now all the prep work is done, time to get going on the install itself.

Measure the total width of the bumper rebar (should be 45” around the front like this)

Mark the center line of the rebar as a visual reference.

Then mark the center line of the IC (I use tape to draw on so there’s no clean up after)

Install the “ez mount” brackets as Vibrant calls them. They come slightly wider than they need to be, so for better fitment we provide a flat washer per bracket to install between the bracket and the intercooler (as seen here)

-note- use anti seize on all mounting hardware (not required on clamps)

Next on what will be the lower, rear side of the IC mount our supplied spacers like this- (see new info note in post #4 if your car is 2017 or newer, additional spacers are required & provided in your hardware bag)

Pick a spot to drill the holes that’ll clear the curve the the bumper rebars rolled front edge plus the thickness of the rolled edge of the easy mount brackets, plus the wall thickness of our provided washers for the mount bolts (this is all shown best in the video btw)

I set the holes back 1” from the bumper front edge. I measured 9.25” around the front to land each hole an equal distance from the outside edge of the bumper. Please measure twice to avoid mistakes and verify these numbers will work for your car, landing the mount holes where they’ll line up with the ez mount brackets! I always place the intercooler with the brackets install up to its future mounted location to double check my marks before drilling

-Tech tip- buy brand new cobalt bits, they’re made for drilling extremely hard steel like the bumper rebar. You’ll need a smaller size to drill a pilot hole and a bigger size for the final hole. I choose 7/16 as my final hole size to allow some room for error, since the mount bolts are 8mm.

Use a slow drill speed so you don’t ruin your drill bits and very firm pressure. Slow and steady wins the race here (see video for example)

Once your holes are drilled in the bumper support the IC and line up your centerline marks. Then mark the ez mount brackets through the holes you drilled. Then remove, and drill the brackets in two steps (pilot hole, then larger final hole). You can use higher drill speeds here as the material is softer

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ok almost done, props to anyone who’s written full instructions like this before haha

Bolt the intercooler to the car with the supplied 8mm bolts with a washer under each head & nut. You’ll need 13mm socket and wrench (8mm is the threaded portion size)

Btw this is where removing that out side air temp bracket at the beginning comes into play. It needs to be flattened or removed to stick out .25” or less to allow the IC to sit level, otherwise washers will need to be stacked on the opposite side to space it down and sit level

Remove the stock charge pipes. (7mm socket or flat head)

Install the new Baun Performance charge pipes and silicon couplers with supplied T bolt clamps

-note- the HPS couplers reduce down to the factory size and have two slightly smaller t bolt clamps to match those connections perfectly. The other 6 supplied clamps fit the rest of the connections

That’s it! Install the bumper, belly fairing, fog light harnesses, and grille and lower the car off the jack stands.

Enjoy your consistent power and cooler temps!

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Update October 2018-

It’s come to my attention that 2017 and newer cars have a revised AC condenser that may require an additional 1/4” of clearance (L spacer at the passenger size bottom corner of the intercooler). This can be accomplished by simply installing 4-5 additional flat washers between the spacers and the intercooler.

Update September 2019. New aluminum spacers for 2017-19 cars vs originally stacking washers like pictured above

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Mk8 GTI differences;
Modify at your own risk.

These aluminum spacers go between the Mk8 crash bar & Vibrant EZ mounts. Just like the Mk7, you’ll drill your own holes in the EZ Mount to match the holes you drill in the crash bar.
IMG_2999.jpeg

Cut and remove the pointless ankle height lower crash bar.

Be sure to protect what you don’t intend to cut.

IMG_1619.jpeg

Cut the front lip of the crash bar as seen below.

IMG_1622.jpeg

Drill rebar 13 1/8 from centerline, 1/4” from front edge for mount holes. 3/8” holes.

Reference Mk7 guide for marking centerline on FMIC & transferring holes to EZ Mounts.

IMG_1634.jpeg
IMG_1633.jpeg
IMG_1636.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg
IMG_1642.jpeg

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Outstanding write-up!

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Question, for instructional purposes only. I'm planning to do this install tomorrow. I plan to take all day as its more advanced for me. My question is, can I do this on ramps? Do you need to turn the wheels alot to get the bumper off. I have 2 stands/jack but never have had good luck at all working with them and feel safer with the ramps. Thanks

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Question, for instructional purposes only. I'm planning to do this install tomorrow. I plan to take all day as its more advanced for me. My question is, can I do this on ramps? Do you need to turn the wheels alot to get the bumper off. I have 2 stands/jack but never have had good luck at all working with them and feel safer with the ramps. Thanks
Ramps definitely. You'll need access and leverage to drill

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
yeah watching the video on youtube it said u had to like move the wheel to take bumper off, not sure if thats doable on ramps lol
I think that refers to moving a wheel to get better access to the fender wheel well screws

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I just move the wheels for easier access to the fender liner screws using a 1/4 impact

I’m sure somebody’s done one on ramps, but I don’t own any so I’m no help there

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
For those with mk7.5 and acc the air temp sensor is tied into the acc sensor harness and doesn't reach the horn. I zip tied mine to the top loop of the driver side IC clamp and it worked great. I can take a pic if it is needed.