GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel repair shop in the DC area?

itsstan

Passed Driver's Ed
Can anybody recommend a shop? I emailed two shops, Wheel Ding King and the Annapolis branch of Alloy Wheel Repair, at noon on Friday for an estimate but neither have gotten back to me. Two of the wheels have minor curb rash, and one has curb rash and minor dent from a pothole.

Anywhere within an hours drive of DC would work for me.

Attachments

• DSC_0858.jpeg
    DSC_0858.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC_0859.jpeg
    DSC_0859.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC_0862.jpeg
    DSC_0862.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC_0864.jpeg
    DSC_0864.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 331

armedferret

Ready to race!
In fairness it's a weekend, and some businesses just aren't open on weekends. Give 'em a couple days and follow up with a phone call maybe Tuesday.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Google maps allows you to search for "wheel repair".

Lots of reviews to verify the shops work as well. You could also cross reference yelp.

I'm interested in who you find since I too nailed a pothole on the highway. Bubbles the site and dented the wheel :mad:

itsstan

Passed Driver's Ed
I ignored multiple red flags and went with Wheel Ding King. To my astonishment, the wheels come out looking pretty good, but they aren't perfect. It seems like there's overspray on some parts of the wheels, they feel rough in spots when you rub your fingers over them.

The owner looked at the pics I emailed him and quoted me a price of $80 per wheel over the phone. That price was contingent on me giving them a positive review on Yelp. After driving 40 min out to their shop the employee says $80 is way too low, says he'll do all 3 for something like $330. Don't know why, but I agreed. They were done that same day, I didn't want to deal with the traffic, so I picked them up the following day. While picking the wheels up I asked if the owner was coming in that day. The guys says something like, he might come in later today. Turns out he was behind me in the parking lot working with a customer. They didn't get that positive review from me.

Alloy Wheel Repair quoted me $160 for each of the curb rashed wheels and $210 for the bent wheel with curb rash. Something tells me they would have repaired it properly and stuck to their quote.

If you're broke and need a wheel repaired to "ok" standards, Wheel Ding King may be your place, otherwise I would steer clear.

Here's the best part. I later had new tires put on the car at Costco. They nicked two of my rims.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
I ended up taking two of my wheels over to Ye Olde Wheel Shop in Elkridge...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ye-old-wheel-shop-elkridge

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Y...84e5906634f289!8m2!3d39.2038582!4d-76.7306989

Judging from the reviews I went ahead and dropped them off.
I'm having the curbed wheel polished and the bent wheel put back into round.
I believe it was $125 for the bent wheel and $60 to polish the other curbed wheel.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

These guys have been around forever.
Back in my BMW days they were the most recognized shop in the DMV area.

Glad to see that they are still at it.

terp_man

Passed Driver's Ed
Bump for before/after pics

Interested to know how your wheels came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Bump for before/after pics

Interested to know how your wheels came out.

Thanks for the reminder!
Here's the before and after pictures

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8qUzyN3X60phDNdj1

I decided to simply have them polish the curbed scuff vs redoing the entire wheel. I decided that I would sell the wheels as well since I wanted to go with some lightweight and or smaller wheels for my second set of wheels.

terp_man

Passed Driver's Ed
[emoji33][emoji1303][emoji91]Awesome!

Will definitely keep YOWS in mind for the future.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Damn. Thats the best repair ive seen on vw wheels.

I should also note that the wheel that nailed a pothole at 65mph was also repaired there. It was bent both side to side as well as the barrel on the inner rim of the wheel.

They repaired it as if it never happened. Seeing the before and after on the wheel balancer was remarkable :)

AJ15

Ready to race!
Looks good. Glad you got them fixed up!

FWIW, if anyone else in Baltimore/DC area stumbles across this thread, throwing another name into the mix. I've had wheels from multiple cars repaired here (from scuffs to bends):
Rim Renew
6431 Baltimore National Pike Catonsville, MD 21228

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
never used them myself but my friends always used Ye Olde Wheel Shop and they do amazing work. Friend of mine curbed and bent the hell out of 3 of his 19's on his 350Z a couple years back and they repaired them to look like new and the pricing wasn't bad considering the work involved....I think he paid about $450 and 2 were bent and all 3 were curbed in multiple spots. They were some kind of expensive OZ wheels and I helped him pick them up at that shop using my JSW TDI.