GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much do you LOVE your Golf R? HELP!

Duhg

I love my ‘17 Golf R. No creeks or rattles at all. I think you’ll have fun tossing it around winding roads and darting through traffic. It’s surprisingly powerful and rewarding. Mine is stock and will be until the warranty period is up and it still makes me smile every time I drive it. Where I live, the hi-ways are generally congested and the towns have low speed limits with lots of stop lights. But the secondary roads are typically hilly and twisty and I find myself taking those routes more often than the hi-ways because it’s fun to drive on them. I don’t think you’ll regret getting one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where in CT do you live? I'm always looking for twisty roads near my home in Southington.

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
I can say the only thing I would miss about my GTI would be the sunroof, but first world problems. I would love to keep the Vette and get an R, but I have the option to sell my Vette to a close friend for a fair price. (If I regretted that decision, he would sell it back, no questions asked.) That money would clear up some minor lingering debt and be a nice down payment on an R. Looking to get into a DSG, what would you guys recommend a year to look into for the MK7 R? I am not a fan of buying brand new, figure let the depreciation hit the first buyer.

Bvstp

Passed Driver's Ed
Where in CT do you live? I'm always looking for twisty roads near my home in Southington.

I’m in Bolton. Just east of Manchester. Your best roads may be in Southbury, Roxbury areas. There are good ones here in my town, Vernon, Storrs and Coventry if you’re ever up this way.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I can say the only thing I would miss about my GTI would be the sunroof, but first world problems. I would love to keep the Vette and get an R, but I have the option to sell my Vette to a close friend for a fair price. (If I regretted that decision, he would sell it back, no questions asked.) That money would clear up some minor lingering debt and be a nice down payment on an R. Looking to get into a DSG, what would you guys recommend a year to look into for the MK7 R? I am not a fan of buying brand new, figure let the depreciation hit the first buyer.

I'd never contemplate selling my car to a friend. Too much emotion and brain damage. Not to mention the strain on our relationship!

Duhg

I’m in Bolton. Just east of Manchester. Your best roads may be in Southbury, Roxbury areas. There are good ones here in my town, Vernon, Storrs and Coventry if you’re ever up this way.

If I am ever able to buy an '18 I will definitely check it out. I have 3 college-bound boys. One is likely to end up at Storrs.

Bvstp

Passed Driver's Ed
If I am ever able to buy an '18 I will definitely check it out. I have 3 college-bound boys. One is likely to end up at Storrs.

I can see where that will put a damper on your fun. I can tell you about my favorite road to take if you head up here in the future.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I’m kicking around the thought of getting an R maybe MK6 but most likely MK7, but am on the fence about a few things. I have been lusting after an R for a couple years.

I currently own a 2011 GTI and love it. The versatility and practicality of it is awesome. I’m not making a ton of power but the traction is limited even now.The hatch aspect is perfect for what I need for camping, biking, dog, people hauling, active lifestyle etc.

I also own a 1999 Corvette C5 that resides in the garage most of the time. I have moved to Austin and rarely drive the Vette seeing how everything is so close. I work from home so “enjoying” the commute to work is nonexistent. I have had my Vette for 11 years and feel like it’s time to move on.
I am debating selling my Vette and trading in/selling my GTI to have one Golf R.

The question is, will the R fill the performance aspect void that I will have if I sell my Vette? (Different animals, I know) After a few mods, I’m sure the speed and handling will be more than enough. What do you love/hate about your R??

A stock DSG R should be faster than a 1999 Corvette, and a lot more practical.

lostru

Ready to race!
I’m kicking around the thought of getting an R maybe MK6 but most likely MK7, but am on the fence about a few things. I have been lusting after an R for a couple years.

I currently own a 2011 GTI and love it. The versatility and practicality of it is awesome. I’m not making a ton of power but the traction is limited even now.The hatch aspect is perfect for what I need for camping, biking, dog, people hauling, active lifestyle etc.

I also own a 1999 Corvette C5 that resides in the garage most of the time. I have moved to Austin and rarely drive the Vette seeing how everything is so close. I work from home so “enjoying” the commute to work is nonexistent. I have had my Vette for 11 years and feel like it’s time to move on.
I am debating selling my Vette and trading in/selling my GTI to have one Golf R.

The question is, will the R fill the performance aspect void that I will have if I sell my Vette? (Different animals, I know) After a few mods, I’m sure the speed and handling will be more than enough. What do you love/hate about your R??

Even in its stock form the R will out perform a 1999 Vette or a 2011 GTI in all aspects of any day to day driving. Very little needs to be done to get this car to perform way beyond its weight class. Our kids are grown and gone so my wife and I decided to have our mid life crisis together. We now have two 2016 R's, DSG and 6Speed, and love them. We take 10+ hour trips in them and don't feel beat to death and can pull up to red lights and embarrass 3/4 of the cars out on the road "within the speed limits of course". I personally like that its not flashy but down to business. Most don't realize what it is until its too late. With a good set of summer tires the car will, 8 out of 10 times, out perform the driver in stock form. Curvy back roads with posted speeds turn out to be a suggestion since you can easily double them with the blip of the throttle. Off the showroom floor it will truly get you into "under the jail" speeds without knowing it. I did have a 2015 GTI and traded for the 16 R. Great car that is really nimble but it still lacks in the day to day compared to the R. I did do a Unitronic 1+ on my DSG. There is a hidden personality under the hood. Kind of like Jekle and Hyde. Good luck on your decision.

madmanmatt

I was in a similar boat last year. I had a 99 c5 convertible with a t56 and a fiat for the city. I was originally looking at a s3, but a used r came up for sell here and i ended up getting it. The r i bought ending up have a apr tune on it, so my r is faster then stock. I have not driven hard, pedal all the way down, a stock r or a s3.
Here is way i can tell you coming from a c5. The Visceral feel of the vette is not what you will get out of the r. The r feels almost german lux/hot hatch to me. The difference with the gti, my parents had a mk6 gti, and the difference with the MQB chassis is much nicer. The chassis on the mk7 is just brilliant in my opinion.
What you will get with the r, is a car that is much more confidence inspiring then the c5. My vette gave me pucker factors much easier and at a lower speeds. You can be a good bit more lax on proper driving techniques in the r, but it also handles better then my c5. If you get DCC, its completely comfy when you want, and a little monster when you want. With a tune acceleration is just stupid. Its pretty silly actually.
I would ask yourself what it is you want. If you like the visceral experience of a analog sports car, the r won't be for you. If thats is not a big deal, the r won't disappoint. The golf r is faster, more practical and comfortable then it has any right being. I do feel that it has fill both rolls with me as a comfy city car and back roading monster.
I would also keep in mind with the decision making process. They don't make steering wheel positions sensors or pcm computer modules for that year c5 any more.

Last edited:

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the insight everyone, I think I will pull the trigger on a '16 R here in the next 6 months. I want to enjoy a car I actually drive and not have the occasional garage queen. Offhand, does anyone know if the brake lines for the MK6 and MK7 are interchangeable? I have SS brake lines on my GTI and will probably pull them before I sell it.

KO7

Ready to race!
I came from a Stage 2 MK6 GTI to the 7R and haven’t regretted it one bit.
More than two years into ownership, and I’m still having a blast on stock power.