GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine mounts

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Been there with several of my previous cars, just on springs this time around so my regular jack works hassle free

Looks good with the gold wheels on that color, I personally wouldn’t have thought that, but I like it!

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Is it safe to support via the oil pan when doing the engine mount?The plastic worries me. If so is there a specific spot that works best? How about for the trans? (although I'm not as concerned about the trans side)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Is it safe to support via the oil pan when doing the engine mount?The plastic worries me. If so is there a specific spot that works best? How about for the trans? (although I'm not as concerned about the trans side)

Never use the pan as a support. Unless you are meaning release engine weight by pushing up from below to swap out the mounts. If so, then yes you can lift at the pan. Just us a good sized 2x8 or something to spread load over the entire pan and slowly jack it up enough to remove the weight off the mount(s).

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
---> dang Diggs beat me to it

When I installed my mounts I used a 3/4" piece of plywood to spread the load on top of my jack's cradle. Dimension of the plywood are approx 18"x18". This works fine as long as you don't go crazy! :) I use these same plywood pieces under my jack stands as well to disburse their load and help the stands not dig into the pavement.

The trick is just to be slow and cautious when doing this you don't want to apply any more pressure than is really needed. Oh and make sure your car is on a level surface otherwise you're just asking for trouble.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Never use the pan as a support. Unless you are meaning release engine weight by pushing up from below to swap out the mounts. If so, then yes you can lift at the pan. Just us a good sized 2x8 or something to spread load over the entire pan and slowly jack it up enough to remove the weight off the mount(s).

That is what I meant, just to support while I swap the mounts out. That still makes me nervous as hell lol.

---> dang Diggs beat me to it

When I installed my mounts I used a 3/4" piece of plywood to spread the load on top of my jack's cradle. Dimension of the plywood are approx 18"x18". This works fine as long as you don't go crazy! :) I use these same plywood pieces under my jack stands as well to disburse their load and help the stands not dig into the pavement.

The trick is just to be slow and cautious when doing this you don't want to apply any more pressure than is really needed. Oh and make sure your car is on a level surface otherwise you're just asking for trouble.

This makes sense. Guess I'll take a peek around to see what I have. And that's smart, at this point my driveways full of jackstand marks :( I will have to put the car on all 4 jackstands to do this seeing that there's zero chance of me getting a jack underneath otherwise.