Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Says it’s no longer available :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots available from China if you don't mind waiting:

Xuji: link

MeWant: link

My first one (perf/regular leather) was Xuji and my second one (all suede) was MeWant and they're identical other than the logos on the boxes. Just write in the comments what you want, ie all suede with x colour threads for DSG/Manual.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Alcantara is nice, but for something like a steering wheel, durable it ain't. (I have one on my M3.) Same for Ultrasuede - both are brands of generally similar microfiber product.

The vaunted BMW E46 ZHP coupe & sedan came with alcantara upholstery and steering wheel as standard - leather seating was an upgrade option. But after 2 years of the alcantara wheel, they switched to a perforated leather wheel for the final 2 model years (2005-06) because they were doing so many warranty replacements of the alcantara model. Definitely not a durable material on a steering wheel.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
The vaunted BMW E46 ZHP coupe & sedan came with alcantara upholstery and steering wheel as standard - leather seating was an upgrade option. But after 2 years of the alcantara wheel, they switched to a perforated leather wheel for the final 2 model years (2005-06) because they were doing so many warranty replacements of the alcantara model. Definitely not a durable material on a steering wheel.

It honestly is what makes it great as a wrap. You use it until it starts to fade and then either throw it out or replace it. For the $35 USD it cost i'll be fine if it only lasts a year or two.

Mattism78

Ready to race!
It's funny how alcantara "feels" premium to people, when in reality...it is one of the cheapest materials on the planet and usually wears very quickly.

Cheapest? It's actually one of the most expensive synthetic materials you can buy. It might not be durable but that doesn't make it cheap. I use the material regularly on VERY high end products and it's anything but cheap.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Agreed. I remember seeing the CS wheel originally and wanting that. Then reviewing alcantara and seeing many points about wear. As a wrap, it's a best-of solution. With minimal upkeep (i clean it maybe once a month?) i'll get a expect solid 2 years easy before considering replacement.

This looks good. I've seen some very poor Xuji wraps, and some VERY clean Xuji installs. This tells me that installation has a huge impact on whether or not it looks like a quality piece or cheap. Are you able to confirm whether or not the AIT really is that much different from the Xuji?
I have yet to be impressed with the majority of xuji wraps. Unsure if that's because of poor install or what. I have got more compliments on this wrap than any other small detail i've added to the car. The minor price premium and quick shipping from stateside was more than enough for me to justify. Not to mention that i can opt for ultrasuede v. actual branded alcantara with an appropriate price jump sold me.

Last edited: