GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fluid Extractor (Oil Change Question)

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
Modern engines do not get sludge at the top end unless neglected. The sump is the lowest part of the engine and everything the filter misses will collect there including swarf on a new engine. Each to their own but I prefer to be sure I have drained everything out when changing oil.

Not to be a silly cynic, but can you point out any source where this has happen from using an extractor?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Not to be a silly cynic, but can you point out any source where this has happen from using an extractor?

I don't have a source, it is experience of working on engines for years and physics dictates things will go to the lowest point of the engine. Pumping out oil without removing the plug will miss something every time. If it was that good garages would be using it instead of draining the oil from the sump plug.

TheMantelope

Start about 1:30 in. Not all drain plugs are at the lowest point, and even if they are the plug opening does not always reach the lowest point. Even the drain plug can leave oil in the pan. This obviously depends on design and what car you are working with, but I don't think an extractor will make much of a difference on engine longevity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65MMnubY4DA

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
Easiest way to test is to use the extractor, get all you can, then pull the plug and see what comes out. I did this on my 06 Jetta PD TDI, and more oil came out. I had a guy with me who is a mechanic, does all kinds of work, has his own lift, etc., and we went to lengths to get every drop with the extractor. Then lifted the car and pulled the drain plug. Upon inspection we realized there was a depression in the pan lower then where the extractor tube would hit the pan. The amount of additional oil that drained looked about right for that depression.

This is the method I will do with my first GTI oil change. Then based on what comes out, I'll have a level of comfort with the extractor, or know to go the drain plug route.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
Performed the oil change yesterday, pretty easy indeed.
We use the Pela to start, got all we could, then put it on the lift and drained it dry.
@ 150ml drained out after the Pela...not much, but still something.

The drain plug is fool proof btw...

TheMantelope

I used the topsider oil extractor a few weeks ago. Kept the car level and extracted the oil. Afterwards I jacked the car up, pulled the plug, and had roughly 8 ounces of oil that came out. Based on the angle of the dipstick tube I may raise the front end a bit next time I use the extractor, or utilize the slope of my driveway. I'll also let the car warm up a bit more. It was easy and mess free though.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
I used the topsider oil extractor a few weeks ago. Kept the car level and extracted the oil. Afterwards I jacked the car up, pulled the plug, and had roughly 8 ounces of oil that came out. Based on the angle of the dipstick tube I may raise the front end a bit next time I use the extractor, or utilize the slope of my driveway. I'll also let the car warm up a bit more. It was easy and mess free though.

So you had slightly more leftover then I did. Warming the car would definitely help. Looks like the extractors get the majority of oil out, and are probably OK to use. For me, I will probably continue to put on his lift and pull the drain plug...partly just to go hang out in his garage and get away for a day! I don't put a lot of miles on the GTI as my commute is less then 5 miles, so for right now I am changing oil once a year. Will also target those days for adding a mod or two as well.

But if I had to just go the Pela route, I'd be fine with that too.

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had and used an extractor for all of my DIY oil changes and love it. I recently had to replace the oil pan due to a small crack after a dump truck dropped landmines all over the road [emoji35] so I bought a pair of ramps. I had to do some trimming (ramps, not car!) and now it's super easy to just drive up the ramps and reach under to the drain plug. So much more convenient than dragging out my crappy floor jack and stands! I will probably use this method from now on and clean out my extractor to use for pushing new fluids into diffs and such.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk