GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Presenting the AWE AirGate™ Carbon Intake. Available Now.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Besides all the earlier info on variations posted, usually most are comparing a modified stock intake to an aftermarket intake, for performance on stage 1/2 power levels.
Damn you had to delete a lot of that post.

Seriously if anyone else thinks what I posted was serious y'all need glasses. Mercury in retrograde has never affected my Dyno numbers.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
It should be very obvious that a filter with a larger surface area will provide more airflow than one with a smaller airflow. Couple that with a larger opening for air to get into the airbox and an intake hose/pipe with a smoother internal surface as compared to the stock pipe. Then add in the weight difference and factor in the difference in thermal conductivity between materials (plastic vs aluminum vs carbon fibre). Those small differences add up to produce measurable differences.

A CAI or an IC won't "make" horsepower or torque. They make the engine more efficient. The engine produces the same amount of energy either way. The upgraded parts are more efficient, and therefore less energy is "lost" or "wasted" due to drag, temp, velocity, etc.

Think of it like trying to breathe through a straw vs a paper towel tube. You'll get enough air to live on either way, but it's much easier to breathe through the tube because the tube is less restrictive than the straw is. The same concept applies to the intake on a car. It will take less energy to suck air through a less restrictive intake than a restrictive one. That energy can then go to the wheels instead of being used to suck in air.

On top of that, more air can pass through the intake system since it is less restrictive. Since the engine can get more air in, it can add more fuel and make more power.

Carbon fibre intakes aren't really meant for people making a "budget" build or people who want something that's "good enough". Two main types of people buy them: people who are chasing performance/efficiency and people who are chasing looks/appearance.

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
You may want to read their web page again.

Obviously I was being sarcastic about the screws, but if you read their website you will see they sell it with and without the lid. Hence the roll eyes :rolleyes:

As for carbon Fibre, they could have easily made it from plastic and kept the cost down. Not everyone wants bling under their hood.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Obviously I was being sarcastic about the screws, but if you read their website you will see they sell it with and without the lid. Hence the roll eyes :rolleyes:

As for carbon Fibre, they could have easily made it from plastic and kept the cost down. Not everyone wants bling under their hood.

So what you're saying is you wouldn't purchase this because you're not interested in an intake made from the materials they used, or one with the price tag this has, correct?

If only they made it totally differently, changed their mind after months of R&D and development, then you'd be a potential customer? Let that be a lesson to you AWE!

/sarcasm :rolleyes:

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
That's exactly the lesson. If we keep purchasing overpriced products companies will keep producing them. We drive suped-up econoboxes, why do we need $500 intakes? My last vehicle ran on aftermarket sequential turbos with an extremely odd shaped air box, but my matched AFE intake only ran me $200 because it wasn't made from an expensive (and unnecessary) material.

That said: I have no disdain for AWE and intend to purchase an exhaust from them in the future, I'm just speaking of the trend I see as a whole on this platform.

Last edited:

Kopfjager

Passed Driver's Ed
IF...IF, you don’t like the available product options, from the different manufacturers out there, and think they’re too pricey, then open your own business and make products at what you feel is the proper cost. That or just make one off versions for yourself.

lowbeta

I'll throw my two cents in here and join the camp of carbon fiber confusion.. some of these intakes do look pretty sharp, including this one from AWE.

The problem is that they mount up to what is literally the most boring engine configuration ever produced.. turbo I4.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the performance on offer from my M7R, but I'm not trying to show off a butt ugly, boring ass motor by attaching a carbon fiber intake that looks like it belongs on a supercar and is priced as such.

More price efficiency and less young buck bling.. my vote.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
Ive had AWE CCB intake on my MKV. It was the best intake I have used (stock, APR, Evoms and nuespeed). I was lucky enough to pick up 2nd hand locally for $150, would I pay $500 on an intake system? No. But its a business, a biggest marekt probably to younger kids. They want a fancy intake that sounds and looks cool.
Cant knock theor hustle and wont be knocked.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
I don't see how it could make that much of a difference with the OEM intake tube. But, if you pay me $1,000 I will prove it flows more air, cures cancer and rolls back global warming. For an extra $500 I'll throw in multicolored graphs and an Excel spreadsheet with Pivot tables.

ETA: Oh, I see, it is Caron Fiber, saving 1.5 grams over FRP.

Last edited:

Mk7sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 golf R
I would like to see results on a stock engine done in SAE.
Unless maybe by not doing any results on a stock engine means no net gain?
Thanks.