GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Accessport and Stage 1, Stage 1+, and Stage 2 Power Packages!

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
If you own a 2017 Golf R DSG and are using an Accessport, READ THIS!!

COBB has just released a firmware update that will correct a condition in which the car will not enter factory Launch Control as expected. A simple firmware update using Accessport Manager will provide updated v103 OTS maps for the 2017 Golf R DSG ONLY. Once the Accessport has been updated, simply flash the v103 map to your car and you are good to go.

Those using a custom tune will need to have your Protuner open and re-save your current map to get the fix.

Marshall@COBB

USA

Ready to race!
any type of tune whether it's a piggy back or ECU flash will jeapordize the long-term reliability. No one can tell you how your car will react to the tunes and it's a risk (albeit a low one) that we take
LOL. Driving your car will affect long term longevity. :)

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Nice update. Looking forward to people testing this out.

vento14

Question: is this similar to the jb4 in the sense that you can buy a used one from a gti owner and use it with the R? I understand the maps are different and would need to be changed but other than that is the hardware compatible? My plan was to buy a used one and purchase and upload a protune map for the R if possible. Would this work or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy brand new?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mak_Attack

Passed Driver's Ed
Question: is this similar to the jb4 in the sense that you can buy a used one from a gti owner and use it with the R? I understand the maps are different and would need to be changed but other than that is the hardware compatible? My plan was to buy a used one and purchase and upload a protune map for the R if possible. Would this work or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy brand new?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The AP can only be loaded on one car at a time. You can't use a used AP on your car unless it has been unmarried from the original car it was installed on. I'm not sure if the gti and R AP's are the same either. Probably better off to buy a new one.

Loonster

Ready to race!
I wish COBB and APR would enter into a joint agreement and be done with it. I wanted an APR tune but living in a small town makes it difficult to do. The nearest tune shop is 1.5hrs away from me. If I go have an APR tune done I can't go back to stock without going back to the tune shop. If I take my VW in for service with a APR tune on it and the dealership technician flashes my VW back to stock, which would happen if VW orders updates to the ECU, then back to the tune shop I go.

Having a COBB AP allows me to keep the OTS map (which isn't bad and actually has better AFR's and KR's than stock) as well as keeping my custom stage 1 e-tune. If I need to flash back to stock so that I can take it in for service, I can. Mind you, the dealership will know that the ECU has been reflashed and they may try to give me a hard time about warranty repairs, but without knowing what tune I had on the car they'd have difficulty blaming the tune. As I said, they would try and make the argument that warranty doesn't cover repairs on a modified car but they'd have to prove the tune was the issue. Without the tune actually being visible to them, it just makes it that much harder for them to prove.

It would be great if COBB and APR could get together and sell the COBB with OTS maps, then for an additional price be able to load the APR map on the COBB. Having the ability to flash to a different tune is important not just from a dealership service point of view but from a longevity point of view as well. When it snows a lot I flash back to stock, I simply don't want 365wtq on the ground with 4" of snow. On days when I just commute to work I sometimes flash to stock or use an intermediate COBB OTS tune. Why? Less stress on the components because I'm not going to use that much power anyway. If the temperatures soar into the 90's with 80% humidity here in Minnesota, I'll be driving on the stock tune on those days, again for the same reasons, to not put additional stress on components.

A joint agreement between COBB and APR would be the magic bullet that many people would benefit from. It's a win-win for both COBB and APR. APR would end up selling more maps and COBB would end up selling more AP's. The end user would have two really great products that would allow the owner to dial it back when needed or remove it outright when necessary without the trip to the tune shop which charges you every time you go.

Mak_Attack

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats easy just get a protune/etune on the AP. Then you can switch back and forth between the ots map and protune if you need. A protune from a good tuner should outperform the apr map anyway.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Thats easy just get a protune/etune on the AP. Then you can switch back and forth between the ots map and protune if you need. A protune from a good tuner should outperform the apr map anyway.

This. Why do people make it sound as though APR is the best tune known to man? Get a Pro tune from a proven COBB Tuner like 5150 Racing or Stratified which I’m pretty sure will give you more power and remain safe as opposed to a one size fits all canned tune. I know APR makes a great tune, but it’s still a one size fits all system as opposed to being tuned for your specific mods and your specific region. Loonster lives in Minnesota. Do you think someone like me living in Florida or someone living in AZ are going to benefit the same as someone in Minnesota or Canada by having the same tune, or someone living in Colorado that has to deal with much less dense air due to elevation? APR is good , but I’ll atick with a Cobb Protune. My .02. Also, I see that Loonster is Freektuned. Are you not happy with your Protune? There are other options out there as I’m sure you know.

Loonster

Ready to race!
This. Why do people make it sound as though APR is the best tune known to man? Get a Pro tune from a proven COBB Tuner like 5150 Racing or Stratified which I’m pretty sure will give you more power and remain safe as opposed to a one size fits all canned tune. I know APR makes a great tune, but it’s still a one size fits all system as opposed to being tuned for your specific mods and your specific region. Loonster lives in Minnesota. Do you think someone like me living in Florida or someone living in AZ are going to benefit the same as someone in Minnesota or Canada by having the same tune, or someone living in Colorado that has to deal with much less dense air due to elevation? APR is good , but I’ll atick with a Cobb Protune. My .02. Also, I see that Loonster is Freektuned. Are you not happy with your Protune? There are other options out there as I’m sure you know.

I agree with you. I have a COBB AP with a stage 1 Freektune. A custom tune is a great way to go, that's why I did it. I'm simply saying is that if COBB and APR got together, it would open up a completely new market for both companies.

Loonster

Ready to race!

Very happy with my Freektune.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
I agree with you. I have a COBB AP with a stage 1 Freektune. A custom tune is a great way to go, that's why I did it. I'm simply saying is that if COBB and APR got together, it would open up a completely new market for both companies.

Not to seem argumentative, but why would to competing companies join forces? It would almost be like Pepsi and Coke joining forces to make one cola. They both offer tunes, and all the other basic bolt ons. APR Has the means to in able flashing of their software by the individual just like uniTronic, Eurodyne Maestro and Cobb afford their users, but I’m sure they make a nice chunk of change with their licensing fees that they charge all of the APR certified dealers/shops out their. So I don’t ever see APR going that route. And just for arguments sake, let’s say Cobb and APR did join forces and you could get a Cobb AP with APR maps on it. What do you think that Accessport would now cost you seeing as its &650 new and an APR Stage 1 flash is $600? Hmmm doesn’t seem all that appealing anymore does it.

Last edited: