GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subaru BRZ tS

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Just one? The GTI. It's just more practical. Mainly because I need a car that I can stuff 2 kids in the back, and occasionally carry 4 people's worth of junk for a weekend trip. The GTI is certainly more "refined" for a long trip and general build feels better.

Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses, and the differences are what makes each fun to drive.

nikpmd

Just one? The GTI. It's just more practical. Mainly because I need a car that I can stuff 2 kids in the back, and occasionally carry 4 people's worth of junk for a weekend trip. The GTI is certainly more "refined" for a long trip and general build feels better.

Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses, and the differences are what makes each fun to drive.

Great, thanks for the answer. I do not have kids and probably won’t in the near future. So, although that aspect doesn’t apply to me personally, I still plan to do long distant driving. Have you taken your BRZ on long trips? How much of a difference do you think the GTI would make ?

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I personally haven't done a road trip in the BRZ. I think after 4-6 hours, the BRZ would start to feel cramped. Lower seating position (legs more horizontal), lower eye height, tight seat bolsters, "coarse" engine sound/vibration, stiffer ride.

All of the above is great for spirited driving, but would get old on an interstate. That is unless you could plan a whole route on roads like I posted above...

nikpmd

I personally haven't done a road trip in the BRZ. I think after 4-6 hours, the BRZ would start to feel cramped. Lower seating position (legs more horizontal), lower eye height, tight seat bolsters, "coarse" engine sound/vibration, stiffer ride.

All of the above is great for spirited driving, but would get old on an interstate. That is unless you could plan a whole route on roads like I posted above...

Makes sense. I can imagine it getting old. Seems like GTI is best.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
With Subaru’s experience and history with turbos, what’s holding them back on adding one to this car? What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion

Again, I owned an FRS from debut until just recently.

For long drives it is very comfortable (driver and front passenger only).
Doesn't feel cramped at all.
Lower seating is really nice.
Seats are very comfortable. (I was happy when I sat in my GTI to discover that they felt almost the same as the FRS seats) (level of bolstering is practically identical)
Ride isn't much stiffer.
Engine does sound course with more NVH.
Getting out of the FRS made you feel like an old person.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
That's the question...everyone wants more power.

I've read that the engine compartment is just too tight to fit turbo paraphernalia. I'm not sure if I buy that argument, since there's aftermarket turbo kits available.

I think it's about maintaining a price point. Putting on my marketing hat, the car seems to be aimed for a younger crowd (first new car) or as a second fun car. With a turbo, price would probably be heading toward $40k. At that point, there's a lot of car options that open up.

nikpmd

That's the question...everyone wants more power.

I've read that the engine compartment is just too tight to fit turbo paraphernalia. I'm not sure if I buy that argument, since there's aftermarket turbo kits available.

I think it's about maintaining a price point. Putting on my marketing hat, the car seems to be aimed for a younger crowd (first new car) or as a second fun car. With a turbo, price would probably be heading toward $40k. At that point, there's a lot of car options that open up.

Also, I’ve heard Subaru engineers say this many times that if someone wants to learn proper driving for racing, a NA engine is what they should learn on and a turbo motor will spoil them. So it’s supposed to be a great starter sports car that people can take to the track and learn “proper driving”.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I drove my co-workers' 6MT BRZ recently. As a big-time 90's Honda fanboi, the BRZ struck me as a kindred spirit to a 4th gen Prelude, just felt the "same". Of course being RWD is what every Honda fanboi dreamed a Prelude would've become, so I thought his BRZ was amazing, and then the torque dip. Holy hell, it's true! It is so obvious and frustrating. Not only is my GTI making grin-inducing torque or my V8 truck is linearly pulling, but I am quite certain the 1995 Prelude had a more linear engine also. What a let-down!

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I drove my co-workers' 6MT BRZ recently. As a big-time 90's Honda fanboi, the BRZ struck me as a kindred spirit to a 4th gen Prelude, just felt the "same". Of course being RWD is what every Honda fanboi dreamed a Prelude would've become, so I thought his BRZ was amazing, and then the torque dip. Holy hell, it's true! It is so obvious and frustrating. Not only is my GTI making grin-inducing torque or my V8 truck is linearly pulling, but I am quite certain the 1995 Prelude had a more linear engine also. What a let-down!

Had that gen prelude. So good. 5 speed was always looking for 6 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Well, I guess it's not like Subaru is trying to "hide" the torque dip. They even give you a screen to make it painfully clear where it is.

I'll say, though, it's only irritating when driving mellow, and shifting at lower RPM's. With aggressive driving, and near redline shifts, the next gear engages above the dip, and all is well. In a sense, it encourages hoon-mode at all times. ;)

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
There is just no justification for the amount of money they charge in comparison to the level of performance you get. An ND Miata is faster with less HP, for about the same price. A fully optioned BRZ will cost the same as a base V8 mustang GT. With the Mustang, you don’t feel cheated by the price. With the BRZ or the 86(FRS) you feel ripped off of you pay anywhere near MSRP. The fact that mainstream minivans are faster to 60mph is just not acceptable and a big reason Sales numbers are so pathetic.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I drove a 2016 GT around an autocross setup a few times. It had plenty of power, and somewhat better better turn-in than my 4wd Dodge 2500. :p

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
A good header and tune can not only completely eliminate the torque dip it can make 200whp. Which is a significant seat of the pants jump.

And the car can't quite be compared to the nd miata. Let alone a mustang. Completely different handling/driving experience.

That said. The only way to truly enjoy the engine is shifting above 6750 rpm. Otherwise it's just a trecel (powerwise) that handles like a Cayman