GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Break In Service?

texan engineer

OK so I'm new to the VW world, but I couldn't find anything on the subject on Google or the forum. Is it a good idea or recommended to do a break-in service on the DSG? Or the VAQ LSD for that matter?

For those of you who have done BMW's, you'll know that Mike Miller (our resident long-term durability expert) still recommends full fluid exchange after a 1200 mi break-in (oil, diff, transmission).

Obviously the manual doesn't say anything beyond the 3 yr/30k mi interval (or something like that), but has anyone here done that? I figured these cars still run-in like everything else, but data seems scarce around here...

My first DGS on an '09 JSW TDI had its first maint at 40k miles. It continued to do just fine until I sold it back to VW at 110k miles. The new one, 2015 has almost 12k miles on it and is going strong. I'll have the fluid changed at 40k miles, as the manual recommends.

adam1991

Banned
Just change all fluids every day. You can never be too sure.

Does this Mike Miller change his foil hat regularly? Seriously, I would like to see his engineering degree and his employment papers from BMW. Absent that, "some dude says" is meaningless.

lostru

Ready to race!
I asked the same of our local VW expert "O'Hara Automotive" since I am tuned. He said there is no reason. They have seen zero issues and they are more robust than the amount of power that is being put down. Same for the AWD. I change my oil at 5K due to the driving conditions I commute in daily.

adam1991

Banned
yes. Driving conditions are paramount. Short trips? Short trips in cold weather? Either go on blowout drives regularly to evaporate the moisture, or change early.

The best thing to do if you're concerned is at your next oil change, grab a sample and send it to Blackstone. At least then you'll have the facts, even if you choose not to believe them.

SRoads

Ready to race!
yes. Driving conditions are paramount. Short trips? Short trips in cold weather? Either go on blowout drives regularly to evaporate the moisture, or change early.

The best thing to do if you're concerned is at your next oil change, grab a sample and send it to Blackstone. At least then you'll have the facts, even if you choose not to believe them.

There is no combustion....for moisture to get into DSG fluid.

adam1991

Banned
not DSG fluid, no. I was talking oil.

Again, the safest thing is to change the oil every day. You can't be too careful.