GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wear?

tknj99

Ready to race!
I know dudes who idle their newish cars for 30-40 minutes at a time.

Now I know this increases fuel but does it damage an engine in the long run? Or is it just a myth.

Whenever I want to park up and leave my music and stuff running I just turn on the stop start and until it won't stop start anymore (because of battery) I just turn it off. usually gives me 30 minutes on start stop whether I'm in "D" or "P".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With regard to idling: the engine won't work at its most efficient capability in which fuel combustion is incomplete. That leads to glazing of combustion chamber and reducing effectiveness of spark plugs in petrol engines (plugs with heavy deposits can foul, and that can reduce fuel consumption by 4 to 5%). Also petrol can contaminate the motor oil which reduces its lubricating qualities (that could mean more frequent oil changes and/or increased wear on the engine).

With regard to to listening to music with the car not running for extended times, that will probably just lead to the battery failing earlier than it normally would have and will also stress the alternator more than usual as it will need to charge the battery from a more drained level than normal once started.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
With regard to idling: the engine won't work at its most efficient capability in which fuel combustion is incomplete. That leads to glazing of combustion chamber and reducing effectiveness of spark plugs in petrol engines (plugs with heavy deposits can foul, and that can reduce fuel consumption by 4 to 5%). Also petrol can contaminate the motor oil which reduces its lubricating qualities (that could mean more frequent oil changes and/or increased wear on the engine).

With regard to to listening to music with the car not running for extended times, that will probably just lead to the battery failing earlier than it normally would have and will also stress the alternator more than usual as it will need to charge the battery from a more drained level than normal once started.

This sounds like the advice that was given back when we had carburetors.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Oh dear judging by the first reply it doesn't sound too good

He's talking more about cold idle warm up. I only idle for 10-30 seconds tops cold usually.

Enderwaves1

I work in Construction, and I see pickups idle all day long. I've heard guys say it can lead to wear on crank seals on big V8s, but most of our fleet runs to either 150k or 180k, and it's rare to see any unusual trouble due to idling. I'm not saying it's great, but I wouldn't be super concerned about it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Now that gas supplies seem to back to normal in my area I can finally blow out some of supposed deposits. At $3.19 per gallon. I don't know if it still is, but we were paying the highest gas prices in the country last week. I needed to pay $3.80 at one point.

LFTMON

Ready to race!
Now that gas supplies seem to back to normal in my area I can finally blow out some of supposed deposits. At $3.19 per gallon. I don't know if it still is, but we were paying the highest gas prices in the country last week. I needed to pay $3.80 at one point.

In the UK we pay $8.50 a gallon and that’s like “normal” [emoji102]

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion

Although cheaper as you leave Manhattan, this are today's prices nearby