GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just went back to stock springs

howellinwolf

And am so much happier. I think the car actually has a lot more mechanical grip on iffy roads running stock. Glorious not to worry about every road imperfection.

Was on H&R springs before, previous owner did not have camber plates so now the car can receive a proper alignment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Proper alignment? How so? The car should be running within oem spec unless some insane offset doesn't matter if on stock or aftermarket springs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
From my understanding a reputable alignment shop that works with VWs and Audis should be able to correctly align the car within OEM spec even with lowering springs using the subframe itself (camber plates are only needed if you end up going REALLY low).

But, ride feel is different for everyone and what may seem stiff to one may be soft to another.

howellinwolf

You guys bring up good points. I believe there are also aftermarket wheel spacers (eyeballing is guess about a cm in width, and I'd like to get those off as well) that may be more of the culprit in this case.

It's been a bit tricky to guess at what previous owner did.

Regardless it is a lot more comfortable. Car feels a bit more springy and definitely not as weighted down but not in a confidence sapping sort of way.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Don't let this scare you away from all lowering springs out there. H&Rs are just known to be bouncy and harsh haha. Glad you're happy with your "new" car!

Across the board though, if you have bad roads lowering a car (and increasing spring rate) can be less than beneficial to handling. Stiffer can be better, but only if you've got the smooth roads to match, otherwise it's a compromise.

AR11

Ready to race!
From my understanding a reputable alignment shop that works with VWs and Audis should be able to correctly align the car within OEM spec even with lowering springs using the subframe itself (camber plates are only needed if you end up going REALLY low).

But, ride feel is different for everyone and what may seem stiff to one may be soft to another.

Moving the subframe side to side just takes camber from one side and adds to the other. If both sides are out of spec you need to lessen total camber, not shift it from side to side.

Most lowering springs won't leave you with insane camber but to clarify, moving the subframe only changes the L/R balance, not total camber (L+R)

howellinwolf

I may consider a complete suspension kit someday in the future but I doubt it.

Even if I end up tracking the car it would take me some time to really learn to drive it at its limits stock. Might go for some better tires as many suggest.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
The problem is more in people keeping the factory shocks when going with springs. They might be OK for a while but after 10-15k or so the ride quality goes to shhhhh.
That depends on what springs you use. Average on the mk6 was 40k-50k before replacement.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
People don't give the stock suspension enough credit, it's actually pretty good. Handling isn't bad at all on it and unless you are spending over $2k you are really not improving its performance much.

Most of the just spring setups I see actually hurt the performance in return for looks.

I much rather have a stock height car than loose performance by lowering it

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Moving the subframe side to side just takes camber from one side and adds to the other. If both sides are out of spec you need to lessen total camber, not shift it from side to side.

Most lowering springs won't leave you with insane camber but to clarify, moving the subframe only changes the L/R balance, not total camber (L+R)

Now I'm a little worried because the HPA SHS coilovers I got do not have any camber plates on them. I was told that an experienced alignment shop should have no problem dialing in the camber back to OEM spec (or at least close to it, with a little extra negative camber in there for handling)?!?! I am planning on lowering my car about .5 - 1.0 inch lower than the VWR springs would have done, and wanted a spring&shock combo to save myself from the stock shocks giving up after putting on lowering springs (read about this on many posts).

Is there something else I have to purchase now?!?!

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Now I'm a little worried because the HPA SHS coilovers I got do not have any camber plates on them. I was told that an experienced alignment shop should have no problem dialing in the camber back to OEM spec (or at least close to it, with a little extra negative camber in there for handling)?!?! I am planning on lowering my car about .5 - 1.0 inch lower than the VWR springs would have done, and wanted a spring&shock combo to save myself from the stock shocks giving up after putting on lowering springs (read about this on many posts).

Is there something else I have to purchase now?!?!

I'm running Bilstein PSS at about 1.25" lower than stock and was able to get the camber within spec. You just have to find a decent shop. Some places only know about shifting the subframe.

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
That depends on what springs you use. Average on the mk6 was 40k-50k before replacement.

this. i had eibach pro-kit springs (stock shocks) on both a mk5 and mk6 and had 50k+ on both with no issues. put the mk6 back on stock springs when i sold it and there was no difference in ride quality. granted the pro-kits are one of the more mild drops.

that being said my 15 GTI is staying on the stock suspension. i like it...