GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Kev's GTI PP DSG

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Yeah im interested in the part number. :)

Hate having to "hang" the wheel on and accidentley chip the paint on the caliper.

Thanks for the updated jacking point pics

kevinm1

Ready to race!
Part number for the aluminium wheel guide is 7L0 012 223

kevinm1

Ready to race!
So here's a bit more detail on the door warning light mod. Again, I didn't intend on doing a how-to so I don't have pics for every step. Also note some pictures are of the drivers side and others are of the passanger side in case you notice that the 32 pin plug has extra wires in some pics. The driver's side has more wires in it.

This mod was easier to do on mk5 and mk6 as there were empty positions in the door controller to accept the wiring for the door warning lights. If your car has illuminated door sills, this is fed from the door warning light position on the door controller. This makes sense as the sills only illuminated when the door is open, and only the side with the open door illuminates. This makes the wiring more difficult as you have to somehow tap into this feed but on the other hand the door controller already has door warning lights activated (to power the sills), so no vcds coding is necessary.

The power for the sills and lights comes from pin 16 on the blue 32 pin plug in the door controller. I could not find an empty ground pin in the plug on the door controller so i decided to tap into the ground already at pin 5 in the 32 pin plug.

If you dont mind damaging the car's wiring then you can just get tap connectors and take your power and ground from the wires going to the pins mentioned above. I avoid doing this if possible. My solution is to build a loom that plugs in between the car's loom and the 32 pin plug. I then spilt the power and ground in my loom. The advantage of this is that the home-made loom can be removed and the wiring returned to factory spec without any signs of modification.

Parts needed:
Light:..............1K0 947 411 A......1 per door
Plug:...............1J0 971 972.........1 per door
Repair wire:.....000 979 019 E......1 per door
Repair wire:.....000 979 009 E......1 per door
Repair wire:.....000 979 012 E......1 per door
Door card clip:..7L6 868 243.........3 per door
0.5mm2 Thin Wall wire:...............3m per door
VW loom tape
Shrink tubing
Solder

* The A3 wiring diagram shows 0.35mm2 wire but I'm fairly sure the A3 uses leds for the door warning lights. As we are using a regular bulb, 0.5mm2 is safer.

Here is a quick sketch of the wiring loom you need to make. The 019 repair wires go in the plug. The 009's go at the far right end of the loom and the 012's are used on the little spurs off. Note that the drivers (right side) needs a slightly longer loom. This is because the 32 pin plug is closer to the door hinge on the right door.

Use a ring spanner to turn the plastic clip at the bottom of the door card 90 degrees:

Pop off the cover to the grab handle:

Remove the one bolt behind the cover an dthe other below the grab handle:

The next bit requires brute strength and care. Pop all of the clips holding the door card on. You are pretty much guaranteed to break some so do get spares.

Remove the door card and unplug the wires. Note 2 light fittings have the same plug so you could plug them back in the wrong way round. They are a black 2 pin plug. Mark which ones goes to each light. I didnt do this and it took trial and error to figure out which went where! I didnt remove the cable from the door handle to door lock as I was worried I would break it so I just let the door card lean up against the door while I worked.

This is the right side door controller with blue 32 pin plug:

Remove the plug, cut the cable tie holding the cables to it and release the white plastic piece from the blue cover.

The 2 wires we are interested in are the brown at pin 5 and the purple at pin 16:

Remove these pins from the plug and lie them back along the loom towards the rear of the door and plug in the ends of the new loom in their place:

Next join the purple and brown wires from the car loom to the spurs in the new loom. These pins will plug securely and easily hold themselves together. Put some heat shrink tubing around them to hold them together and insulate.

Now tape the loom to the existing car loom, put the 32 pin plug back together and fit a new cable tie.

Here is a picture showing the left side with the plug back in but the wiring not yet taped up and secured. You can see the 2 new grey wires coming from the 32 pin plug. These are the terminals to the far right in my diagram. You can also see the purple and brown wires that used to be plugged into the 32 pin plug. The shrink tubing on the brown wire covers where it plugs into the spur on the new loom. The purple wire wire is also joined in the same way but it's obscured by the thick bundle of cables.

The pic below is of the right side with the plug back in but the brown and purple wires not yet joined to the new loom. If you are wondering where the other spur is, you can just see it to the left of the thick brown and red cables going into the door controller.

Tape up the loom and run it beside the existing loom through the 2 hooks. Then turn it down toward the bottom of the door. In the pic below, you can see that I taped it to the door to secure it.

Now plug in your light to test it works before you refit the door card. You may need to close the door lock with a screwdriver and open it again to get the door controller to power up the light. If the sill lights up but the door warning light does not, you more than likely have the polarity wrong. Swap the pins around on the plug going into the light and try again.

If it works remove the light again and refit the door card with the wire poking out through the hole where the reflector is located. And Voila! Door warning lights are done!

Last edited:

kevinm1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the kind words!

@Robert: sorry I don't know how to do the rear door lights.

kevinm1

Ready to race!
Hi Robert, I looked into doing the rear door lights today. It is not possible to do it the oem way in the Golf. A3's have dedicated rear door controllers that power the door warning lights. Golfs do not have rear door controllers. Their function is covered by the BCM and front door controller.

jjm51

Ready to race!
great thread kevin.

i have no clue what you are doing (lol), but i appreciate you teaching/showing us what you have been doing.

and! i am still bummed we don't get that seat option here in the states. argh!

god bless the irish! :D

Robert_gti

Hi Robert, I looked into doing the rear door lights today. It is not possible to do it the oem way in the Golf. A3's have dedicated rear door controllers that power the door warning lights. Golfs do not have rear door controllers. Their function is covered by the BCM and front door controller.

HI Kevin,

A lot of thanks for the info!

I saw in a forum of china that they do the connections with the lock of the rear doors.

Regards!

mono98

Ricardo
Car(s)
GTI MKv
:eek: This is the best GTI I have ever seen!! Freaking sexy! SO many options! Im in love.. Too bad we don't have many options to choose here at the US :confused:

James75

Go Kart Champion
Hi James,

If you search for vw dynamic light assist on youtube there are a few videos explaining how it works.

Couple of notes on how it works:

- It only works when the light sensor decides it's dark enough. If you move the light switch from auto to low beam, the DLA will not work until it gets dark.

- To activate it, push the indicator stalk forward once. The stalk in my car springs back to the central position. i'm not sure if it locks forward in mk7's without DLA. You have to do this every time you start the car. It always defaults to off. I changed the coding with vcds so it defaults to on so I no longer have to turn on DLA every time.

- If DLA is on, and you pull back on indicator stalk and quickly release, this disables DLA. If you pull back and hold, this flashes the high beams as you would expect but DLA stays on when you release.

- It only works above 60kmh (39mph). If you are going slower than that and DLA is activated, a second press forward activates manual high beams. These will not be turned off by the DLA. Now this is a cool point I only recently realised: If you are in manual high beam and pull the stalk back, high beams will turn off with DLA turned off. But if you push the stalk forward, it turns on DLA. The DLA will then decide to turn off high beams or keep them on. This is very handy on country roads as you may not be doing the 60kmh to get DLA to work. It also helps when you are accelerating away from a dark junction and want high beams staright away.

I hope this makes sense. If you have any other questions ask away!

Interestingly I can't get my DLA to work like this. If I am stationary and I put on manual high beam and push the stalk forward it just turns off the high beam and puts on DLA. If I'm driving and I put on manual high beam and I push the stalk forward the DLA comes on and the high beam stays on. I've not found a way to have the DLA on below 30mph. I'm not saying it can't be done, mine just behaves like the manual says. It comes on at about 38mph and comes off below 30mph if I slow down. It's a brilliant system, I'd really miss it if I had a car without it but I can't trick the system to come on below the stated speed and light. Dealer felt that it should, he said something about watching a simulator and it was on all the time but bearing in mind they barely new what it was when I enquired about it, it is a bit hard to believe them.

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nyanga

Ready to race!
Kev,

How did you get the logos on the radio?

kevinm1

Ready to race!

kevinm1

Ready to race!
There was a mistake in the part numbers for one of the jacking points. I have changed it and added an explanation.