GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Black Ice Warning

Msadlow

I have a north American (Canadian) MK7 golf, and every time the temp dips below 4 degrees C/38 degrees F, I get a little warning on the console. It also chimes quite loudly to draw your attention to it.

Does anyone know if you are able to turn it off? I park in an underground parking lot, so in the winter its warm inside and cold outside so it always goes off. Typically, when you start the car and its already cold there is no message/warning.

jerhu

Mine pops up too. I'm guessing it's part of "Show Tips" in the settings and you can turn that off. See if that works. I haven't tried it myself because I don't mind the tips but it's just a hunch.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
It always amazes me how many people want to turn off safety features because they say they are annoying. Would you have the same attitude if your car didn't give you a gentle warning and you crashed your car on some ice.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
It always amazes me how many people want to turn off safety features because they say they are annoying. Would you have the same attitude if your car didn't give you a gentle warning and you crashed your car on some ice.

to resurrect a dead thread - it seems like a feature created in a warmer climate for a colder one. I know its cold out. I don't need a bell to ring. Icy roads are a part of life in some places and don't need repeated warmings.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
to resurrect a dead thread - it seems like a feature created in a warmer climate for a colder one. I know its cold out. I don't need a bell to ring. Icy roads are a part of life in some places and don't need repeated warmings.

It's not a repeated warning, it chimes once.
I notice it alerts to remember to take the mobile phone out, doesn't mean I remember to on every occasion though.

sbarrett4

Ready to race!
It's not a repeated warning, it chimes once.
I notice it alerts to remember to take the mobile phone out, doesn't mean I remember to on every occasion though.

But it chimes every time the temp drops to 39 degrees. This time of year in my area of the country, the temp hovers in the low 40's for much of my drive. So it may chime three or four times as the temp fluctuates. Its annoying. Especially when its a clear sunny afternoon.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
It's a safety feature and no one has found a way to disable it.

There’s steps for disabling it in the vagcom thread. Been there ever since I picked up my GTI 2 years ago.

REDRUM_MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
I hear it every morning I pull out of my garage. Average temps is below zero here in Alaska. Kinda annoying but never thought about disabling it.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
But it chimes every time the temp drops to 39 degrees. This time of year in my area of the country, the temp hovers in the low 40's for much of my drive. So it may chime three or four times as the temp fluctuates. Its annoying. Especially when its a clear sunny afternoon.

It chimes once per journey or if it doesn't it certainley isn't every few minutes if the temperature fluctuates, chances are on my journeys, if it's around freezing it stays around freezing.

sbarrett4

Ready to race!
It chimes once per journey or if it doesn't it certainley isn't every few minutes if the temperature fluctuates, chances are on my journeys, if it's around freezing it stays around freezing.

We live in different parts of the world and with different ambient temperatures. 39 degrees F is not "around freezing". Its 7 degrees above freezing. And yes, it does sometimes alternate 3-4 times from 40 to 39 degrees on my daily commute. Just like you, my experience may not be the norm. I was merely pointing out my own experience with this "safety feature" over two years of ownership. I find it to be too sensitive and set too high. On my MY I cannot change it to a lower value closer to actual freezing point.

The fact that it is the same ding as every other warning is also part of my complaint. An engine issue or tire issue is something I need to know about on the road, that the temp is 39 degrees is not.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
We live in different parts of the world and with different ambient temperatures. 39 degrees F is not "around freezing". Its 7 degrees above freezing. And yes, it does sometimes alternate 3-4 times from 40 to 39 degrees on my daily commute. Just like you, my experience may not be the norm. I was merely pointing out my own experience with this "safety feature" over two years of ownership. I find it to be too sensitive and set too high. On my MY I cannot change it to a lower value closer to actual freezing point.

The fact that it is the same ding as every other warning is also part of my complaint. An engine issue or tire issue is something I need to know about on the road, that the temp is 39 degrees is not.

My MK5 had the feature too, I had the car nearly 9 years and this one 4 years, I honestly don't recall the chime ever more than once per journey.