GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer blows turbo during while car in for alignment

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
That very well may be the case. Not sure if I want to spend money on a lawyer letter right now. It’s NoVA so anything is going to be $300-$500. Not that the amount is all that much but it would require a whole lot more energy and time. Both of which I value highly.

Now if they toy around and refuse to give me my original turbo back (they said I could have it back) then that may be enough motivation.

At least in California, or is it federal law (?) all parts replaced must be returned to the customer if you ask for them.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
At least in California, or is it federal law (?) all parts replaced must be returned to the customer if you ask for them.

Here (In New Jersey) you have the right to take the parts also, but you can sign it away while approving the repair if you're not paying attention.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^ Not really related to this case, but warrantied parts typically go back to the manufacturer (or the trash, depending on the part)....they definitely don't go back to the customer

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
^^^ Not really related to this case, but warrantied parts typically go back to the manufacturer (or the trash, depending on the part)....they definitely don't go back to the customer

I think you're only entitled to them if you pay for the replacement, with warranty work i assume the manufacturer has a right to get them back so that they can determine why it failed.. If they return all the failed parts they'll never now why it failed. My best guess.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
I think you're only entitled to them if you pay for the replacement, with warranty work i assume the manufacturer has a right to get them back so that they can determine why it failed.. If they return all the failed parts they'll never now why it failed. My best guess.

Well I’m paying for the replacement and the dealer is good willing a portion of it.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Correct

And to the OP, yeah it's your turbo then (the bad one)

Amiroquai

Does the car keep internal track (logs) of RPMs and speeds, which can be viewed at a later time via VCDS? I'm talking at all times, not just when a mechanically fatal event occurs.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Does the car keep internal track (logs) of RPMs and speeds, which can be viewed at a later time via VCDS? I'm talking at all times, not just when a mechanically fatal event occurs.

Good question

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie

My wife is a warrantee admin. They automatically send some to the manufacturer and some are held for 6 months if the manufacturer requests it or the manufacturers zone manager asks to inspect it.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Damn.. Sorry OP. Any updates?

Yes, have the car back and has been running great. About 2 quarts of oil went into the intake path....intercooler, charge pipes, etc. Took them about a day to get it all cleaned out. They warned me that it might smoke a bit for a couple days when I got it back but I didn't notice any at all. We ended up essentially splitting the cost.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yes, have the car back and has been running great. About 2 quarts of oil went into the intake path....intercooler, charge pipes, etc. Took them about a day to get it all cleaned out. They warned me that it might smoke a bit for a couple days when I got it back but I didn't notice any at all. We ended up essentially splitting the cost.

Glad it worked out to your satisfaction.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

Glad that worked out for ya!

What a hassle.