GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Slick99

Ready to race!
I've downloaded both updates and installed successfully. I see files are first downloaded to the phone and then uploaded to JB4. Does that sound correct? If I delete files from Downloads folder on my phone after the update, does it impact JB4 in any way? The reason I ask is I see both files on JB4 app under Settings > Firmware. Once I upload them both and delete the files from my Downloads folder, files also disappear from JB4 app Settings > Firmware.

My other question, would JB4 let you install the same firmware update multiple times? The reason I ask, I installed the first update back in November and then again today and it didn't give any error or warning saying the firmware updtae already installed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Q1: yes, u have to download firmware then uploaded on the jb4 app.
Q2: No, once u uploaded on jb4 u can delete on the downloads folder.
Q3: if the firmware file is same no need to update again.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Q1: yes, u have to download firmware then uploaded on the jb4 app.
Q2: No, once u uploaded on jb4 u can delete on the downloads folder.
Q3: if the firmware file is same no need to update again.
Thank you! I thought so but wanted to double check.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Here is the latest acceleration run with my is20 sportwagen. I added a can of VP Octanium and running 23 psi. The timing is incredible. Hitting 9 degrees of advance by 4,000 rpms. 18 degrees total advance at 6,400. JB4 only
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pcwyaDGpMag

Both of your vids it appears to slip after you shift. Looks like it accelerates nicely though.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Both of your vids it appears to slip after you shift. Looks like it accelerates nicely though.
That's because it's an automatic with a torque converter. It's not locked up and it still has some slip in it. If there was a modified valve body made for this, it would help a lot with the shift. Could put more pressure on everything. In the old days we could just do a shift kit. Drill a couple of holes, change a spring And move a ball bearing. Lol

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Downpipe is installed! I took a baseline log a few days ago before I installed the downpipe and now that it is installed I will be taking another log with the same settings soon. It already feels like the car pulls stronger, so I can't wait to see the difference once I start messing with the boost. I'll post my logs once I've got them all in one place.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Downpipe is installed! I took a baseline log a few days ago before I installed the downpipe and now that it is installed I will be taking another log with the same settings soon. It already feels like the car pulls stronger, so I can't wait to see the difference once I start messing with the boost. I'll post my logs once I've got them all in one place.

Woo-hoo! Finally. Can't wait to see what you can get out of it. It definitely makes a big difference. To many people focus on the peak numbers. The downpipe really makes a difference across the range. Especially in the mid range, peak boost area

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
That's because it's an automatic with a torque converter. It's not locked up and it still has some slip in it. If there was a modified valve body made for this, it would help a lot with the shift. Could put more pressure on everything. In the old days we could just do a shift kit. Drill a couple of holes, change a spring And move a ball bearing. Lol

Load the 5A_3 firmware from n54tech and set autoshift boost reduction value to 100 and see if it still slips.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Some logs! I've noticed that I'm having some weird AFR issues, you can see on both the before downpipe and after downpipe passthrough logs below at one point my AFR suddenly drops to the 10's. This is weird, but the car was running smooth and making power so it doesn't concern me too much. I've also noticed that my trims are strangely high on all the logs, definitely higher than they have been in the past. The before downpipe log was taken a few days ago at about 15C ambient temperature, and before I installed the 5A_3 update. The last two logs were taken tonight at 5C ambient temperature and after I installed the update.

I was having a problem where during 3 of my 4 runs tonight, just before I hit 6000 rpm my car would begun to stutter and then go into limp mode with misfires in all cylinders. I freaked out a bit and that's why I took the log with all of the values in map 6 set to zero (for some reason map 4 doesn't seem to be working), but when I took that log it happened again. Just now I realized that it's probably because I did a bad job placing one of my new exhaust clamps and it's banging against the car's frame, and so the ECU is mistaking it for knock. I'll be fixing that issue soon and hopefully the limp mode shouldn't happen again.

Before downpipe map 6: https://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/pre-downpipe-baseline?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-21-25-26-27-28

After downpipe same map 6: https://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/post-downpipe-map-6?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-21-25-26-27-28

After downpipe map 6 set to all zeros: https://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/post-downpipe-passthrough?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-21-25-26-27-28

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Does that actually work for a regular automatic? i felt like before my shifts would lets say "slip" as in delayed shifting would this help?

Yes, the JB4 logic will detect the gear change and then it reduces boost in a more to less fashion. In logs you can press FF and it will show you have the boost is reduced.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Load the 5A_3 firmware from n54tech and set autoshift boost reduction value to 100 and see if it still slips.

I have the 5A_3 already. Swapped it over because I was getting the CEL even though I had future use set to 90. I'll try the boost reduction for sure though. It does spike high after the shift. I caused an EPC and flashing CEL tonight at the shift. I'm also running FOL 90 right now as well. Three days so far and only the one hiccup. Didn't know if it was that, but the boost reduction should help with that too

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
Mod list: is38,jb4, brisk spark plugs, rs3 coil pack, R fuel injector, downpipe, 93 gas. This link contains 3 logs, map 1, 2, and 6.
https://datazap.me/u/bigbearbigbutt/is38?log=0&data=1-4

On map 6, boost map was set:
2000: 19
2500: 21
3000: 22
3500:22.9
4000: 23.1
4500: 23.4
5000: 23
5500: 22
6000: 21.2
6500: 20.6
7000: 19.7
boost safety set at 25

On the map 6 log, why boost only went up to 19 around 4k rpm? The timing also took a big hit. Trim went up to 38. Any suggestion?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Mod list: is38,jb4, brisk spark plugs, rs3 coil pack, R fuel injector, downpipe, 93 gas. This link contains 3 logs, map 1, 2, and 6.
https://datazap.me/u/bigbearbigbutt/is38?log=0&data=1-4

On map 6, boost map was set:
2000: 19
2500: 21
3000: 22
3500:22.9
4000: 23.1
4500: 23.4
5000: 23
5500: 22
6000: 21.2
6500: 20.6
7000: 19.7
boost safety set at 25

On the map 6 log, why boost only went up to 19 around 4k rpm? The timing also took a big hit. Trim went up to 38. Any suggestion?

Did you set 6cyl timing to 1?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I went to go start some downpipe tuning tonight, but it had lightly misted a bit earlier so I couldn't get traction in 3rd, if you wanted an idea of the power level :D (for you non 5mt guys 3rd goes all the way to 117mph). It felt like the car didn't quite know how to handle the front wheels spinning at ~100mph with the rears at only 60mph. I even got the traction control light to flash despite having everything disabled, which is a first since going at it with OBD eleven. I guess I'll be tuning another night.

Traction control sounds crazy now. I never really thought about it before, but it sounds like the traction control works by decreasing timing. The violent farts every time it activates are great. I think my setup of the 1.8t muffler with no resonator and a downpipe is a bit unique, at least I've never heard of anyone else with it. It's still quiet but much louder than before, and very clearly the engine's raw sound. I think I like it, but I don't have much to compare other than a full turboback and just stock which are both very different..

Last edited: