GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED Headlight Coding?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Reggie: Very good question and if true OEM HID fittings were retrofitted, I would think - yes!!.
But anything is possible for third party fittings, so I'm not sure!!

Setting the software switches to HID, makes the BCM correctly support AFS (Advanced Front-lighting System, or FLA (Main beam assist) in OEM installations. But, I'm not aware that 3rd party headlight fittings have these facilities (albeit, some fittings may have these capabilities).

As I said previously, the more pertinent question is how the Leuchte-sets for the lamps are programmed. And more importantly, how the cross-wiring looms that are sometimes used in the retrofitted headlights change the operation of these Leuchte-sets. Cross wiring looms have the effect of changing the pin assignments on the BCM and Leuchte-sets are specific to these pin assignments.

I've played with many 3rd party headlight assemblies and the only truth is that they are ALL different!!

Don

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking more about the voltage/wattage being sent to the headlights and not the adaptive lighting and other settings that you mentioned.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking more about the voltage/wattage being sent to the headlights and not the adaptive lighting and other settings that you mentioned.

Reggie: Ok - that's a question regarding the nature of the power supply source that comes from the BCM to each lamp. In a mk7, there are no direct-in-line fuses to individual lamps and each lamp effectively has its own little power supply by virtue of the Leuchte-set that is a associated with the connector pin on the BCM - to which each lamp is wired.

The actual supply signal that the BCM makes available to each lamp uses what engineers call "Pulse-Wide-Modulation", which is just a fancy name for chopping-up the DC battery voltage into ON times and OFF times.

Below is a typical supply to an exterior lamp on a mk7. I took this picture from the BCM on my "virtual mk7" (my test bench) using a dimmwert value of 50% and an incandescent lasttyp setting). It shows thw PWM wave-shape that I describe abovce

So, the nature of this signal is determined by the "Lasttyp" setting. If you look at the list of allowable settings for these adapation channels, you will see that they distinguish between LED and incandescent and they also distinguish lamp wattage. In effect, when choosing the setting for these channel, you tell the BCM what manner of lamp is connected to the fitting socket and how this lamp is to be supplied.

Dpn

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The OP doesn't even know what headlights he has. He says he has aftermarket double U headlights. While the U's may be lit by LED's, aren't there multiple different versions, even ones that still use halogen bulbs?

OP, What actual headlights do you have? What bulbs do you have in the headlights? What Ballast's do you have on the headlights?

From your first few post's you said you "don't know what headlights you have and what does it matter"... For real????? That is all that matters. There is so much that goes on with a halogen to HID or LED conversion that you need to know what you have.

Trying to help in a situation like this is no different then the blind leading the blind.

Pretty sure I remember that you had a shop order and install these headlights for you, and then had all sorts of wiring and electric issues that the shop couldn't figure out, even though you spent "a good amount of money on them so they are quality parts" even though you don't know the brand. Sounds more like you got ripped off and are chasing your tail then anything else.

Last edited:

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
OP has a set of headlights identical to the RFBs. I bought them from the same place he did but I installed elsewhere.
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Ligh...ts/RFB-MK7-GTI-Golf-Projector-Headlights.html

I'd throw away the led main beams and use a set of HID's - that will fix all his lighting issues.
He also needs to do a proper adjustment to make sure his beam pattern is even and not too high.

I would suggest doing it all at once, as driving with a bad adjustment would potentially blind other drivers.

ofektal12

Ready to race!
OP has a set of headlights identical to the RFBs. I bought them from the same place he did but I installed elsewhere.
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Ligh...ts/RFB-MK7-GTI-Golf-Projector-Headlights.html

I'd throw away the led main beams and use a set of HID's - that will fix all his lighting issues.
He also needs to do a proper adjustment to make sure his beam pattern is even and not too high.

I would suggest doing it all at once, as driving with a bad adjustment would potentially blind other drivers.

i saw there is a place under the headlights for 3 modules, do you think that i should have modules there? and my lights are adjusted, we went to the dealership and they did it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
The OP doesn't even know what headlights he has.

OP, What actual headlights do you have? What bulbs do you have in the headlights? What Ballast's do you have on the headlights?

From your first few post's you said you "don't know what headlights you have and what does it matter"... For real????? That is all that matters. There is so much that goes on with a halogen to HID or LED conversion that you need to know what you have.

Pretty much this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
i saw there is a place under the headlights for 3 modules, do you think that i should have modules there? and my lights are adjusted, we went to the dealership and they did it

OEM HID headlights have three modules:
1. AFS control
2. LED driver (DRL)
3. HID driver (main beam/high beam)

But you don't have OEM HIDs, so the above is irrelevant.

You need to ditch the led bulbs and put in a set of D2H HID bulbs.
If you do some research, you'll find that led bulbs don't work too well in HID projectors.

ofektal12

Ready to race!
OEM HID headlights have three modules:
1. AFS control
2. LED driver (DRL)
3. HID driver (main beam/high beam)

But you don't have OEM HIDs, so the above is irrelevant.

You need to ditch the led bulbs and put in a set of D2H HID bulbs.
If you do some research, you'll find that led bulbs don't work too well in HID projectors.

yep thats what i wanted to buy, ill check with my dealership on a price.

yea i did sone research too and thats what i found out, ill try hid hope it provides more light

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
yep thats what i wanted to buy, ill check with my dealership on a price.

yea i did sone research too and thats what i found out, ill try hid hope it provides more light

PM me if you would like to see my light output. I'm using 35w 5000k bulbs.
I live near Raanana if you can make it out there.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
The Leuchte-sets for the two low-beam lights are:
Left-side = Leuchte6ABL LC5
Right-side = Leuchte7ABL RB1

The lasttyp setting should be 5 LED Abblendlicht (i.e. 5 LED low beam)
Don
Thank you.

all of a sudden my aftermarket AKD (aliexpress) headlights driver side started flickers 3 to 6 times after start up between 10 secs to 3 mins time frame. then it's good, even with it all lights on and off.

let's see if this solves the issue, if not then it maybe the bulb itself but it's new... like under 1 year old and installed before winter.

Slow24

Car(s)
Golf gti mk7
Thank you.

all of a sudden my aftermarket AKD (aliexpress) headlights driver side started flickers 3 to 6 times after start up between 10 secs to 3 mins time frame. then it's good, even with it all lights on and off.

let's see if this solves the issue, if not then it maybe the bulb itself but it's new... like under 1 year old and installed before winter.
Hi

I’ve just bought a set of AKD 7.5 headlights everything seems to be working well except for the high beam. It flashes once then stop working. Do you have that issues?

SG$ 812.20 20% Off | AKD-Car Model Parts For Golk7 Golf 7 MK7 2013-2017 Head lamps LED or Xenon Headlight LED Dual Projector FACELIFT
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK8ZQP2

Thanks

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
I would do the coding for the headlights as well. which I did and my previous post issues is gone
Hi

I’ve just bought a set of AKD 7.5 headlights everything seems to be working well except for the high beam. It flashes once then stop working. Do you have that issues?

SG$ 812.20 20% Off | AKD-Car Model Parts For Golk7 Golf 7 MK7 2013-2017 Head lamps LED or Xenon Headlight LED Dual Projector FACELIFT
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK8ZQP2

Thanks