GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MSS Adjustable Street kit-what do you guys think?

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Settling?
I would think a good spring and good design would not settle that much.
This is why I went with Eibach Pro Kit.
Many call the progressive but in use and design they are not.
The upper closer springs touch under load. This gives a controlled lowering amount that over time settles less than linear springs. The bottom portion then rides like a linear spring.
Eibach has been making springs a long time but few on the Forum use them. Odd to me.

Yes settling was the term used but I assume the springs are jsur not weighted correctly. True. Eibach has kits for more cars than any other manufacturer. I had them on my mk2 gti and loved them. These MSS spring are custom wound by Eibach for MSS but I guess, as with any part, defects happen. If these dont work out I will probabley try H&R OE Sports wirh Bilstein B8s. Looking for a minimal drop.

Last edited:

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Settling?
The upper closer springs touch under load. This gives a controlled lowering amount that over time settles less than linear springs. The bottom portion then rides like a linear spring.
Eibach has been making springs a long time but few on the Forum use them. Odd to me.
Yes settling was the term used but I assume the springs are jsur not weighted correctly. True. Eibach has kits for more cars than any other manufacturer. I had them on my mk2 gti and loved them. These MSS spring are custom wound by Eibach for MSS but I guess, as with any part, defects happen. If these dont work out I will probabley try H&R OE Sports wirh Bilstein B8s. Looking for a minimal drop.
To give you another perspective, the following pictures are of my heavily used MSS Sports Rear kit:

The only wear is on the top 1/2 and bottom 1/2 coil sections of the springs.

No observed rubbing/wear on the full coils.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Why not use insulators!
Even the heavy used spring has rust wear through the coating.

On the OP issue.
If all windings are touching this means bad bottoming out I would think.
Should the bump stop not prevent this?
Was bump stop receiving move or cut to far down?
These might lower more than I am familiar with.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
To give you another perspective, the following pictures are of my heavily used MSS Sports Rear kit:

The only wear is on the top 1/2 and bottom 1/2 coil sections of the springs.

No observed rubbing/wear on the full coils.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wow! Interesting that yours look so different than the Streets I have installed. Mine look like 10 bags of concrete were in the hatch when the previous owner was running them. This has really got me down at this point. I am probably going to get a new set of rears as well based on what I am seeing on your springs. hardly any wear at all on the coils compared to mine. How do the Sports ride for a daily driver?

I suspected something was off on the rears as well, even though they have been quiet and perform well. At max height adjustment these dropped the car at least 20mm compared to the advertised 10mm. Sigh! I am pretty bummed at this point. This is costing me way too much. $500 for the defective MSS kit on ebay, $150 for the new taller springs, $75 for bolts and bearings, $35 for spring compressor, $30 for strut spreader and top nut socket to torque it properly, and possibly another $xxx.xx for new rears if I decide. Hopefully it all works out, but I could have just got some coil-overs if I knew I would be spending this much.

I think I may need to go outside and scream at the squirrels:mad:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Wow! Interesting that yours look so different than the Streets I have installed. Mine look like 10 bags of concrete were in the hatch when the previous owner was running them. This has really got me down at this point. I am probably going to get a new set of rears as well based on what I am seeing on your springs. hardly any wear at all on the coils compared to mine. How do the Sports ride for a daily driver?

I suspected something was off on the rears as well, even though they have been quiet and perform well. At max height adjustment these dropped the car at least 20mm compared to the advertised 10mm. Sigh! I am pretty bummed at this point. This is costing me way too much. $500 for the defective MSS kit on ebay, $150 for the new taller springs, $75 for bolts and bearings, $35 for spring compressor, $30 for strut spreader and top nut socket to torque it properly, and possibly another $xxx.xx for new rears if I decide. Hopefully it all works out, but I could have just got some coil-overs if I knew I would be spending this much.

I think I may need to go outside and scream at the squirrels:mad:

Hang on there OP.
We have all been there at sometime.
The mod life!
I would contact the makers of the spring for help.
There is a vendor who posts on the Forum.
Look for him and maybe talk some on the side.

Be nice to the squirrels.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Hang on there OP.
The mod life!

Be nice to the squirrels.[/QUOTE

Thanks Sandman! Yeah, Excelerate the NA MSS dealer sold me new front springs at cost. They are being very helpful, short of replacing them for free. I might try to appeal to the ebay sellers sympathy and see if he will refund part of the cost. Doubtful though.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Just an update. It seems the used MSS kit I purchased included front spring with date stamp 2/17 which according to EXcelerate have been problematic with settling too much on some cars. So they cut me a deal on new revised taller springs.
Nothing was mentioned about the rears, but I have seen one other forum member getting new taller rear springs. Not,sure if this means anything.

I will be redoing the install with new bearings and bolts when I get them this week. Hopefully I wont be bottoming out anymore.

I cant say enough good things about Excelerate standing by their product as well as they have. I did not purchase from them, but they were still very interested in making sure I was satisfied with the MSS product.

Will update further once the fronts are dialed in.

Thank you :eek: We are always willing to help.

Settling?

There is common misconception. The MSS Spring was designed with this in mind. The main reason behind this is that... the OE Springs take roughly 2,000 miles to settle. There are a lot of factors involved with this though.

Many people will also agree with you. The Pro Kit is a nice suspension choice. I have nothing bad to say about it. its just not comparable.

The upper closer springs touch under load. This gives a controlled lowering amount that over time settles less than linear springs.

OE Springs touch in the same fashion, so do MSS Springs.

This is why MSS chose Eibach UK as a partner!

Hang on there OP.
The mod life!

Be nice to the squirrels.

We are on it!

Thanks Sandman! Yeah, Excelerate the NA MSS dealer sold me new front springs at cost. They are being very helpful, short of replacing them for free. I might try to appeal to the ebay sellers sympathy and see if he will refund part of the cost. Doubtful though.

If you need assistance with the rears, let me know. Ill talk with William on this. I have yet to see the rears show this kind of wear. Teck who commented and posted his photos in this has been testing some products for us/MSS and if he hasn't seen it, no one will. I am curious now.

Ill try to follow up via e-mail in the coming days.

Thanks,

Greg

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
I will be putting in the new fronts on Wednesday, and will post my feedack. The ebay seller will take all or nothing, for a full refund. At this point I am hooked on the overall feel of the suspension, so I am inclined to keep them. Just need the fronts to not be so soft. The other option would be to return the ebay mss kit, and the new front springs for refunds. Start from scratch again. I dont know, but hope all will be well based on the stated attributes of the MSS kit and other users experience.

Evidently the springs were installed by Excelerate for the sellers Golf R. He stated no heavy loads were ever carried in the car so it is hard to account for the worn rear orange springs.

I will let you know Greg how it works out on the fronts and if it seems necessary to replace the orange rears.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Got the new fronts installed, and no more bottoming out. Of course there is a great deal of positive rake until they settle. I discovered that the right side strut bearing groove and tab on the strut mount were not aligned perfectly so that is probably why I was hearing more noise on the right. Does not account for bottoming out though.

Anyway, I am glad I can drive normally again, and get after it if I feel like it. I will post some pics once settled. Stay tuned for updates on the rear springs which may need to be swapped.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Update- after corresponding with Excelerate extensively, we discovered that the rears were installed by the previous owner incorrectly. He put the orange springs in updside down, and ran them like that for a bit. Upon hearing all the noise he took the car into Excelerate to fix the issue. So that is why the rears look so trashed. I have no idea how one might make this mistake, as they obviously only go in one way, otherwise they wont fit the lower spring seat properly or sit flat at the spring coupler.

They should be fine to run like this. No noise, and they are sitting at a the proper height. But it will eat away at me a little bit, knowing they have that cosmetic damage on them. Lesson learned- don't buy a used suspension product unless you have direct knowledge of how it was installed and used. This was an expensive mistake.

Here is the car as it sits now before the fronts have settled. Everything feels good and solid now with no noise at all. OE+ type ride quality. It does feel a little unblanced withe fronts up so high though. I will give it a full 2000 miles before making final adjustments upfront-

Attachments

• IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 506

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
Here is the car as it sits now before the fronts have settled. Everything feels good and solid now with no noise at all. OE+ type ride quality. It does feel a little unblanced withe fronts up so high though. I will give it a full 2000 miles before making final adjustments upfront-
What are your front and rear adjusters set on?

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
What are your front and rear adjusters set on?

The broken in (used) rears are at max height. 30mm gap on adjusters. The new fronts i set to 25mm gap. We will see where it settles to, and adjust down from there to get the fronts 5mm lower than the rears.