GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sport Mode Switching Upshift and Downshift

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Doing a little further reading, i suggest this mod be put out as near-impossible for average joes. We don't have a microswitch selector for our gear selector in tiptronic. It utilizes a hall effect sensor to detect direction and motion, and through the board logic figures out if we wanted + or -.

DSG readthrough self-study: http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NATEFMedia/VW Files/DSG-SSP.pdf Of particular interest is page 47.As the fed suggested earlier, controlled via canbus in J587 in the drivetrain portion of the CAN.

In short, no easier solution to date. They've had the setup since the mk5 days and people have been asking the same question since then with no firm answers other than "unlikely". I'll change my opinion from earlier to "best left alone and accept"

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Doing a little further reading, i suggest this mod be put out as near-impossible for average joes. We don't have a microswitch selector for our gear selector in tiptronic. It utilizes a hall effect sensor to detect direction and motion, and through the board logic figures out if we wanted + or -.

DSG readthrough self-study: http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NATEFMedia/VW Files/DSG-SSP.pdf Of particular interest is page 47.As the fed suggested earlier, controlled via canbus in J587 in the drivetrain portion of the CAN.

In short, no easier solution to date. They've had the setup since the mk5 days and people have been asking the same question since then with no firm answers other than "unlikely". I'll change my opinion from earlier to "best left alone and accept"

That part I didn't know. I figured it was a single serial wire with different resistance microswitches like other functions.

EXEA189

Ready to race!
What if I want to switch the paddles so that my left paddle unshifts and my right paddle downshifts? LOL! Nevermind, after reading these post, I have to think about whether I push forward or pull back - whatever. Just kidding ...

yo_marc

Ready to race!
the forward-to-upshift/back-to-downshift is completely counterintuitive when it comes to sequential gear boxes (which is why you see it the other way in racing cars like you said) and i can't figure out when/why most manufacturers decided to do it that way :confused:

I think it depends on your background...

I think forward-to-upshift is a byproduct of the old PRND321 automatic shift pattern from the 50's and 60's. Assuming you had a floor or console shifter, you'd pull it all the way back for 1st gear. Bump it forward to 2nd, etc. It's what I cut my teeth on, so that's whats ingrained in me.

I had a BMW E46 for a while... found it hard to get used to the forward-to-downshift pattern and embarrassed myself more than once :)

euroglx

I was in the same boat when I bought my Sportwagen 4Motion, I was used to push forward for downshift and backward for upshift. But eventually, i got used to it, and has become second nature.

Canadian models don't have paddle shifters.

irace27

use paddles. period

Sometimes the paddles are difficult to use with steering input more than 3 or 9 o clock positions. Not that this happens often on track (but it does depending on the track) on the street some corners require a shift mid corner and if it requires more steering input it would be nice to use the shifter vs the paddles and with the wacky reverse pattern VW uses is frustrating. I can't think of anything with a sequential gearbox that you push to upshift it's always push to downshift. Just think if they reversed the paddles :eek:

My last car was an EVO X MR. The paddles was huge and it was mounted on the steering column, you always knew where the paddles are doesn't matter how you turned the wheel. Also the gear shift was Up downshift and Down Upshift. This is the only complaint I have about the Golf R.