GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Buy Back or Replace

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Don't get a 2015, go with the replacement if the terms are as you think they are.

2015's have the MIB1 system which is terrible and a few 2015's have been having issues. I wouldn't go backwards unless what VW decides to do is way off from making you whole again.

Just my .o2c

Nrappa

Ready to race!
Don't get a 2015, go with the replacement if the terms are as you think they are.

2015's have the MIB1 system which is terrible and a few 2015's have been having issues. I wouldn't go backwards unless what VW decides to do is way off from making you whole again.

Just my .o2c

Didn’t know that, thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Alright guys I’m looking for some advice/experience. After over a year of consistent problems witch my car, finally ending with me not having it for almost two months straight VW decided to enroll me into a “Replace or Repurchase” program (I’m leasing my GTI). As far as I know (which isn’t much) they will either buy back my car, giving me my down payment and all of my lease payments back. Or they will take my car back and put me in a brand new GTI of the same trim level and packages, or better if I can swindle my way into it, and I will just resume my Lease where it’s at.

Any of you ever have this happen to you, or know anyone who has? I’m totally in the dark here, I keep getting “sorry I don’t know how this program works” from almost everyone. Without any info it’s gonna be a long 7 days to hear back from VW. Any info will help, thanks!!

I had this happen with my Abarth when the transmission failed, among many issues. It sat for 51 days waiting for a transmission from Italy which would never come. My lawyer got me damages plus all of my money back and I asked him what I should do if it ever happens again. He told me if I ever got another lemon that I should play the lottery. I say take a new GTI, but make them give you a 2018 when they are out.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Just my .o2c

agreed, i hate the MIB1 in my 2015. The lack of a USB/Aux is so irritating. it has a million bugs. my S model didn't come with a backup camera like the 2016+

Nrappa

Ready to race!
I had this happen with my Abarth when the transmission failed, among many issues. It sat for 51 days waiting for a transmission from Italy which would never come. My lawyer got me damages plus all of my money back and I asked him what I should do if it ever happens again. He told me if I ever got another lemon that I should play the lottery. I say take a new GTI, but make them give you a 2018 when they are out.

One of my thoughts exactly lol, do you know when they’re to be released?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
So, all of you "leasing is not stupid" posters...

When the OP says he can't afford the payment to purchase a car, how does my sentiment not ring true?

It seems quite obvious that if you can't afford a payment to purchase a car, you are not a business owner who will be writing off your lease (the one major instance of a lease making fiscal sense - and as a fellow taxpayer, you're welcome) Other times a lease makes sense, are quite rare.

So yes, my post gives solid financial advice that 95% of the population could use. Sadly, they don't teach this in K-12 schools, so why not share a bit of helpful advice on a car forum?

Allow me to retort: think of a car payment as part of your monthly transportation budget. If you live in a major city, you may not own a car, so that budget is Uber rides, taxi fares, MTA card, whatever. If you own your car outright, your car is probably old enough that you're earmarking some money every month for the inevitable repairs and high-mileage maintenance services.

If your average mileage is 12,000 or less, it makes sense to lease a car, since you're spending less per month for transportation, and you aren't buying something that costs many thousands of dollars, but is guaranteed to depreciate. Several companies are offering $0 down sign-and-drive specials this month, which eliminates the upfront cost. When your lease is reaching maturity, they'll offer you a loyalty bonus to lease another car from them, and you'll have another new car that's always under warranty, never needs costly repairs, and won't cost you a cent in depreciation. Which brings me to my next point: if you're interested in a car that experiences greater/steeper depreciation than average (e.g. anything made by Ford/GM/Chrysler that isn't a Corvette, Wrangler, or truck), leasing is always the better option.

While I am aware that many people use leasing as a way of driving a nicer car than they could afford to purchase outright, it's not always the financial blunder that some people seem to think it is, provided you're smart about it. In my case, I average roughly 10,000 miles a year, yet I chose to purchase my car, because the lease offers on the 2017 GTI weren't all that great compared to what they were offering for a cash/3rd-party sale. Plus, I can't rule out the possibility of modifying the car at some point. So, it all comes down to your own personal circumstances.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
This^^. Sums up my situation quite well. 17 months in I'm at 9,000ish miles, don't use the car for work (heck no) but try to drive it daily. Been driving quite a bit this week transporting relatives to hospital and back, either remaining in car or returning home; hospital car parks are a huge nope for me. I'm an '(almost) anything for a quiet life with minumum hassle' person and so leasing works great for me. Like I said before 'yer takes yer choice then pays yer money'....

Last edited: