GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie looking for tips on buying a golf r

iain1987

Hi everyone

New here so go easy.

Been an owner of edition 30 for 3 year. Moving on and had my eye on a golf r for a while now.

Was out a test drive in one this week. Near the end of it and i was happy and was going to go for it.

But then the coolant light flashed up, dealership played it down. But been reading a few horror storys so should i stay well clear.

Also any other tips for me when looking for a golf r mk7

Cheers

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hi everyone

New here so go easy.

Been an owner of edition 30 for 3 year. Moving on and had my eye on a golf r for a while now.

Was out a test drive in one this week. Near the end of it and i was happy and was going to go for it.

But then the coolant light flashed up, dealership played it down. But been reading a few horror storys so should i stay well clear.

Also any other tips for me when looking for a golf r mk7

Cheers

New or used? Was the "overflow" bottle full? I would pass on anything this dealer is selling, because their mechanics obviously don't check their cars very well.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Wait for the 18s to come out. Tons of upgrades over the 17s. There's also a ton of used MK7 Rs for sale and that number will go up when the new ones come out with the new transmission, virtual dash, etc. You'll have a lot to choose from.

surfstar

Ready to race!
Been an owner of edition 30 for 3 year. Moving on

Who cares? 3 yrs of car ownership guarantees a monthly car payment and a warranty. "Move on" before the warranty expires.

Great way to spend a whole lot of cash on car ownership over your lifetime, also. But hey, at least you're not bored or out of warranty!

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Wait for the 18s to come out. Tons of upgrades over the 17s. There's also a ton of used MK7 Rs for sale and that number will go up when the new ones come out with the new transmission, virtual dash, etc. You'll have a lot to choose from.

Depends on the price, if you can get a good price on a 17 i'd go for that.

Personally i don't like the new headlight style or the digital dash, but I am very jealous of the extra gear in the DSG. If you're in the USA the extra warranty on the 2018s makes it worth it on its self.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Depends on the price, if you can get a good price on a 17 i'd go for that.

Personally i don't like the new headlight style or the digital dash, but I am very jealous of the extra gear in the DSG. If you're in the USA the extra warranty on the 2018s makes it worth it on its self.

Don't forget about the new infotainment screen that puts the old 6.5" to shame.

That's part of the reason for waiting for the 18s to come out. Any remaining 17s will be heavily discounted since they'll look so bad in comparison to the 18s to most buyers.