GOLFMKV

Intake insulation, heat deflection

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Not much benefit to be had since the intake is pre turbo, before the turbo compresses the air and heats it up. You need an intercooler to help with that. When under boost is when it really matters.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
That's what I mean, temps will usually drop to within 10-15 degrees of ambient under boost. It would be nice if wrapping the pipe and box would reject 50% of the heat soak.

I'm going to try it if nobody speaks up

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
You cannot reliably measure pre-turbo intake temps accurately using only the IAT sensor. The sensor is located in the intake manifold. You would need to mount another thermometer in the intake tract before the turbo to do any scientific measurements, and ambient air temp would have to be static. The IAT temps are dependent on too many other factors (turbo air compression heat, intercooler, piping, manifold temp etc.).

Go for it, but seriously you are wasting your time IMO. Any benefits would be so small, they won’t make a difference.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
You cannot reliably measure pre-turbo intake temps accurately using only the IAT sensor. The sensor is located in the intake manifold. You would need to mount another thermometer in the intake tract before the turbo to do any scientific measurements, and ambient air temp would have to be static. The IAT temps are dependent on too many other factors (turbo air compression heat, intercooler, piping, manifold temp etc.).

Go for it, but seriously you are wasting your time IMO. Any benefits would be so small, they won’t make a difference.
$20 for 30 feet...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Get 3-4 drives recorded with the present setup, maybe around 30 minutes of varying conditions such as cruising and stop and go. Make it a route that you can repeat so when comparing the results differences in temps will be apparent for similar conditions.

Best thing to do would be to buy a couple of RTD sensors and a data logger so you can measure temperature right before the turbo and then right before the IC, along with IAT, and note the ambient temp when you drive.

Then apply that wrap and measure the same locations under the same conditions another 3-4 times.

That should give some indication if your effort to wrap the pipes was productive.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Heat wrapping the intake won't make a noticeable difference, as said before. Get a bigger Intercooler if you're interested in reducing IAT

emanon

Ready to race!
One thing to keep in mind, thermal transfer from tubing is very minimal, especially high speed air. If you're really concerned get an IC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Sold by Shaman Equipment because it's a sham man. The only way this could be useful is if you had poor quality metal intake piping, and is more to make up for poor design rather then improve performance, and that is assuming that metal intake piping is heat soaking like nobodies business and increasing the air to way higher temps then ambient. As others have said the IAT's are measure in the manifold and not the intake piping.