GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

***MAPerformance MK7 GTI Catted/Catless Downpipe Group Buy!***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amko

I am happy with the downpipe except for the fact that I can not get rid of the CEL. I have the L-shaped spacer from Amazon and I tried a couple different configurations and still get the CEL.

I was getting downpipe rattle on cold starts and between 1-1.5k rmp as well similar to a couple people on here. Sent a video to Ian but never got a reply. It ended up being the midpipe and the clamp not tightening down on it. Inserted metalic shield between the midpipe and clamp to help with the void space. Rattle went away instantly.

Now the only issue is CEL :(

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
I am happy with the downpipe except for the fact that I can not get rid of the CEL. I have the L-shaped spacer from Amazon and I tried a couple different configurations and still get the CEL.

I was getting downpipe rattle on cold starts and between 1-1.5k rmp as well similar to a couple people on here. Sent a video to Ian but never got a reply. It ended up being the midpipe and the clamp not tightening down on it. Inserted metalic shield between the midpipe and clamp to help with the void space. Rattle went away instantly.

Now the only issue is CEL :(

Should've gone for the GESI cat.

Joel

Ready to race!
Tried it. Didn't work.
I have had the CEL pop on twice now since removing the spacer.
However I am getting a different code now.
P042000.

Hoping there is a balance point between the two codes, lol.
Not sure what I am going to try next... anyone want to buy a slightly use vibrant spacer, lol...

Edit: bought a 42DD spacer... will report back after it gets here.

Last edited:

HicBuda

Ready to race!
...I was getting downpipe rattle on cold starts and between 1-1.5k rmp as well similar to a couple people on here. Sent a video to Ian but never got a reply. It ended up being the midpipe and the clamp not tightening down on it. Inserted metalic shield between the midpipe and clamp to help with the void space. Rattle went away instantly.

What kind of metallic shield did you use? I have used heat wrap a couple of times and they work they're way out. Clamp can't definitely can't get any tighter. Always push exhaust forward when tightening as well.

EDIT: I screwed up the quote box

HicBuda

Ready to race!
I may just get exhaust tips to complete my exhaust setup. The Map DP/stock CB combo has gotten even better sounding and I heard my wife taking off in it yesterday and thought shit that sounds good. Folks at the auto cross last month also complimented on the sound as well. Afraid any catback will change that balance.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Surprisingly, I kind of agree. Really like the sound of the DP with stock exhaust. Loud enough, and still gets some DSG farts ;)

I may just get exhaust tips to complete my exhaust setup. The Map DP/stock CB combo has gotten even better sounding and I heard my wife taking off in it yesterday and thought shit that sounds good. Folks at the auto cross last month also complimented on the sound as well. Afraid any catback will change that balance.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Anyone come up with a permanent fix for the midpipe/reducer to stock CB section coming loose? I was on my second strip of heatwrap (it's lasted about 3-4 months now I believe) but I can tell it's loose down there again.

I see a couple references to exhaust sealant. How's that holding up? Could you provide a link to what you used? And is that the only thing you used to fill the space between the two pipes?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Anyone come up with a permanent fix for the midpipe/reducer to stock CB section coming loose? I was on my second strip of heatwrap (it's lasted about 3-4 months now I believe) but I can tell it's loose down there again.

I see a couple references to exhaust sealant. How's that holding up? Could you provide a link to what you used? And is that the only thing you used to fill the space between the two pipes?

Mine slipped loose but I think I didn't crank down the clamp far enough. Readjusted a few weeks ago and appears to be holding. You have to pull the whole resonator back forward and wedge a piece of wood under the muffler to keep it there while you clamp it down (or have someone hold it).

http://www.acehardware.com/product/...MImsuW7Z6M2AIVRJ7ACh0m9QwAEAQYASABEgLaa_D_BwE

penguinsgestapo

Passed Driver's Ed
HOW TO ELIMINATE THE CEL PERMANENTLY

Please note this has only been tested on the non GESI cat.

I'll start by saying that I have come over to MAP part from back in the DSM days. They have always been a great company for that platform and I was excited to continue to buy products for my DD. When the downpipe became available for the MK7 I jumped to buy it (the same day I purchased my car actually). However, like some people on here I have been frustrated with the constant CEL. I've tried three different spacers now all of them "better than the rest" and none of them have worked. I was stuck thinking that to get this CEL to go away I needed to spend money to buy the best product available. I was wrong.

I reached down in my bag of tricks and pulled out something that I thought maybe could work. And the past two months it hasn't failed me yet. Not one single CEL.

You need to purchase some spark plug spacers -> https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-42009-Spark-Plug-Non-Fouler/dp/B000CO91FY

You will also need 1 additional crush washer and a 5/8" drill bit.

Take the two spacers and drill them out with the drill bit. Stack them on top of each other and install just like any normal spacer. Be sure to have a good seal everywhere and install back on the car.

Continue driving with no orange helicopter on your dash and live happily.

Joel

Ready to race!
HOW TO ELIMINATE THE CEL PERMANENTLY

Please note this has only been tested on the non GESI cat.

I'll start by saying that I have come over to MAP part from back in the DSM days. They have always been a great company for that platform and I was excited to continue to buy products for my DD. When the downpipe became available for the MK7 I jumped to buy it (the same day I purchased my car actually). However, like some people on here I have been frustrated with the constant CEL. I've tried three different spacers now all of them "better than the rest" and none of them have worked. I was stuck thinking that to get this CEL to go away I needed to spend money to buy the best product available. I was wrong.

I reached down in my bag of tricks and pulled out something that I thought maybe could work. And the past two months it hasn't failed me yet. Not one single CEL.

You need to purchase some spark plug spacers -> https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-42009-Spark-Plug-Non-Fouler/dp/B000CO91FY

You will also need 1 additional crush washer and a 5/8" drill bit.

Take the two spacers and drill them out with the drill bit. Stack them on top of each other and install just like any normal spacer. Be sure to have a good seal everywhere and install back on the car.

Continue driving with no orange helicopter on your dash and live happily.
This solved my CEL, after much trial and error...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BZMDWM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Anyone have interior and exterior sound clips with the resonated/catless version?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.