GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
No, but given that they're marketed as Ultra High Performance All-seasons and made by a company that barely qualifies as name-brand, I wouldn't trust them to get me home in the snow, especially if you live in a hilly area.

I disagree. General tires is owned by Continental for quite a long time. I know people who have been using it for a very long time and are really happy about the performance / tire life.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
I just need a tire that can operate in the cold, once it starts snowing I won't be driving my GTI anymore. So really I just want something to fill the gap in late fall and early winter and then also early spring. When there's no snow but still too cold to run summer's. For that I think AS would be my best bet, but you're right probably not the best thread to post about AS.

Daument

Ready to race!
Winter mode .. on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I have the 2015 GTI w/ Performance Pack. These came off a 2011 GLI:

Size - 17" x 7.5"
Bolt Pattern - 5-112
Offeset (ET) - 45
Lugbolts and center caps/rings are included.

here is the original CL post: https://worcester.craigslist.org/wto/6365500968.html

I would check Tire Rack; they're pretty good about only recommending wheels that will fit on your car, provided you put in the details before searching. I think they were recommended for my car (same brakes), but I can't be totally sure.

Those do not look like they've aged well, though.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Finally took a picture with the winter setup; the tires are 1.2" taller than stock, so I'll have to get some rally mudflaps to complete the look. Oh, and the clearance between the front calipers and the stick-on weights can be measured in millimeters, and not even that many.

guitargator6

Ready to race!
Hoping someone can help me out as I'm not too well versed on wheel fitment. Found a set of passat wheels, the salamancas, and hoping I could use these for a winter setup. I learned there was both a golf version and a passat version with different specs, and these are the passat version.

The specs are 17x7 ET43 and tires are 215/55R17. I have PP brakes as well. Appreciate any help, thanks!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Hoping someone can help me out as I'm not too well versed on wheel fitment. Found a set of passat wheels, the salamancas, and hoping I could use these for a winter setup. I learned there was both a golf version and a passat version with different specs, and these are the passat version.

The specs are 17x7 ET43 and tires are 215/55R17. I have PP brakes as well. Appreciate any help, thanks!

They'll clear and will look just like Shane's setup above (red GTI Sport)
You just have to watch the wheel weight placement and/or run super thin weights on the wheels

On that note...do you know which year Passat they're off of?
Or have a pic of the wheel? I've never heard of Salamancas "for a Passat"

guitargator6

Ready to race!
They'll clear and will look just like Shane's setup above (red GTI Sport)
You just have to watch the wheel weight placement and/or run super thin weights on the wheels

On that note...do you know which year Passat they're off of?
Or have a pic of the wheel? I've never heard of Salamancas "for a Passat"

I didn’t realize there was more than one version either. Not sure if the year, but here’s a pic and the part number:
7Jx17H2 ET43
Part Number 561 601 025F

Attachments

• 71BB13EA-33B0-4A61-B5C3-D41C6487813C.jpeg
    71BB13EA-33B0-4A61-B5C3-D41C6487813C.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,181

guitargator6

Ready to race!
I found them, finally, in the order guide....they were available on the 2013 Passats briefly. Maybe the 2012's too?
Page 4: https://www.emichvw.com/assets/misc/9890/PDF/2013Passat.pdf

The tires will be slightly taller, again, just like Shane's pic above

But yeah they'll fit.
Pics of the fitment with the similar spec Passat "Sonoma" wheel...just watch the wheel weights when they get balanced:

Awesome. Thanks so much!

I used to have an MKV a while ago and forgot how helpful the community here is. Nice to be back!

hypergti1

17 vs 18

I just upgraded from my 2012 GTI S to a 2017 GTI SE. I used to run the 205/55/16's in the winter. Since the SE has the PP, I believe the smallest I can run is the 225/45/17's?? If this is the case, is it worth it to purchase the 17's or should I just go with winter tires that are 225/40/18 on the OE rims? I live in upstate NY and we generally do not get storms with deep snow most of the time.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
215/55/16 steelies with pirelli sotozero normals

They've done amazing this summer. The lean from 16" sucks but I ate up 4-5inches of snow and was never stuck. Sure spinning and eating snow but moving and no stuck SUV and never a feeling of 'oh crap I'm gonna get stuck"

Wet is great

Ice is ice. Not great but never stuck and spinning.

I like these tires cuz they eat snow up

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Verichai

Passed Driver's Ed
I was considering Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT on Platinum Flux black-painted wheels. Will this work? Do other owners recommend a package or getting a set of OEM wheels and putting winter tires on?

year: 2017
make: VW
model:GTI
tires only or winter package: Winter tires and painted wheels that will clear the larger brake calipers of the Performance Pack.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I was considering Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT on Platinum Flux black-painted wheels. Will this work? Do other owners recommend a package or getting a set of OEM wheels and putting winter tires on?

year: 2017
make: VW
model:GTI
tires only or winter package: Winter tires and painted wheels that will clear the larger brake calipers of the Performance Pack.

I have had bad experiences with aftermarket wheels during winter in my previous cars so i prefer OEM wheels. Stock Austin wheels take the abuse very well and you can find them for a great deal in the forum.