GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have 18x9 et45 wheels on their car.

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Are there any sites that show actual tread width? Would be nice to compare which tire will actually be the widest at any given size.

AR11

Ready to race!
Are there any sites that show actual tread width? Would be nice to compare which tire will actually be the widest at any given size.

A tire isn't a nice right-angled shape so it become very hard to get good measurements for cross comparison between tires. There is both an issue of how to measure the tire as well that of which dimension of the tire do you care most about. On one end of the spectrum you can measure the width of the outer most point of the sidewall and on the opposite side of that spectrum you could just measure the width of the flat contacting surface of the tire but neither of those numbers are ideal. Tire rack does an in-between measurement that they define but even that may not be exactly what you need based on your car/camber/ride height etc.

All that aside, the tire shape changes dramatically based on what wheel it is fitted to.

I agree that researching wheel fitment is frustrating but there is no obvious resource out there other than looking at what other people have done with the same tires and wheel specs and then taking some calculated risks on your own.

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
A tire isn't a nice right-angled shape so it become very hard to get good measurements for cross comparison between tires. There is both an issue of how to measure the tire as well that of which dimension of the tire do you care most about. On one end of the spectrum you can measure the width of the outer most point of the sidewall and on the opposite side of that spectrum you could just measure the width of the flat contacting surface of the tire but neither of those numbers are ideal. Tire rack does an in-between measurement that they define but even that may not be exactly what you need based on your car/camber/ride height etc.

All that aside, the tire shape changes dramatically based on what wheel it is fitted to.

I agree that researching wheel fitment is frustrating but there is no obvious resource out there other than looking at what other people have done with the same tires and wheel specs and then taking some calculated risks on your own.

Gotcha. I'm essentially just looking for the widest, grippiest tire I can put on the stock Austins. I don't think I can justify throwing down a bunch of money on wheels, so I'm trying to get the most out of the Austins as far as looks and performance is concerned.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Gotcha. I'm essentially just looking for the widest, grippiest tire I can put on the stock Austins. I don't think I can justify throwing down a bunch of money on wheels, so I'm trying to get the most out of the Austins as far as looks and performance is concerned.

Widest grippiest street tire you can reasonably fit on 7.5" wide wheels:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...idewall=Blackwall&partnum=24WR8Z2SS&tab=Specs

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...wall=Blackwall&partnum=44WR8RE71RXL&tab=Specs

These are almost the same width. The first is 8.5" and the second is 8.6". The second is a bit taller than the first, heats up faster, doesn't hold heat as long, and is better for autocross. The first is better for track days. Both will pickup dirt/dust and sandblast your car. Stock tires are 7.5" wide, fyi.

If you want grippy road tires, that are not designed for the track or autocross, i'd recommend the PSS or indy500s in whatever size is closest to 8" wide. True road tires, like these, have very soft sidewalls compared to the above two options and will not look as square or fit as tightly if you oversize.

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Widest grippiest street tire you can reasonably fit on 7.5" wide wheels:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...idewall=Blackwall&partnum=24WR8Z2SS&tab=Specs

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...wall=Blackwall&partnum=44WR8RE71RXL&tab=Specs

These are almost the same width. The first is 8.5" and the second is 8.6". The second is a bit taller than the first, heats up faster, doesn't hold heat as long, and is better for autocross. The first is better for track days. Both will pickup dirt/dust and sandblast your car. Stock tires are 7.5" wide, fyi.

If you want grippy road tires, that are not designed for the track or autocross, i'd recommend the PSS or indy500s in whatever size is closest to 8" wide. True road tires, like these, have very soft sidewalls compared to the above two options and will not look as square or fit as tightly if you oversize.

I was thinking of going with the Falken Azenis RT615K+ in 235/40. Will that work with the 7.5?

Engineer90

Ready to race!
Man how do you guys run such wide tires, maybe I'm a touch too low. But that white R looks to be at about the same height. I'm running BC BRs, 18x8.5 ET42 with a 225/40ZR18 BFG(7.6" tread width rated for a 7-9" wheel). At the track a few weeks ago it sounded like I was running a belt sander in a few corners lol. Since the track day I've took a cut-off wheel to the fenders and bumper clips. Shouldn't have an issue now, but I'd like some more tread.

what wheels are these?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Well I can finally join this thread WITH 18x9 ET45 wheels on my car!

Wheels: Konig Rennform 18x9 ET45
Tires: Conti Extreme Sport Contact 235/40-18
Total weight 41.2 lbs

No rubbing, no fender mods. Lowered on eMotion (ED) springs, no rear spring spacer. Saved 4ish lbs over the factory wheels, very happy with the setup. Will probably add 5mm rear spacers later to even everything out.

IMG_20171216_091531 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20171216_083958 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20171216_092830 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Well I can finally join this thread WITH 18x9 ET45 wheels on my car!

Wheels: Konig Rennform 18x9 ET45
Tires: Conti Extreme Sport Contact 235/40-18
Total weight 41.2 lbs

No rubbing, no fender mods. Lowered on eMotion (ED) springs, no rear spring spacer. Saved 4ish lbs over the factory wheels, very happy with the setup. Will probably add 5mm rear spacers later to even everything out.

IMG_20171216_091531 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20171216_083958 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20171216_092830 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Looks amazing. Clearance looks good to. I do the occasional track session and i have ED springs and am basically going to for same setup as you but different wheels

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Looks amazing. Clearance looks good to. I do the occasional track session and i have ED springs and am basically going to for same setup as you but different wheels

Thanks! I hope to really hit the car hard in the mountains during next weekend and feel out any clearance issues, but I'm not expecting any. If I have any issues I will definitely post them.

My camber currently is -1.1/-1.2 front and -1.8/-1.8 rear, from my last alignment. If you're similar on the same springs we should be able to compare notes, unless you go with some meatier/squarer tires.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
Thanks! I hope to really hit the car hard in the mountains during next weekend and feel out any clearance issues, but I'm not expecting any. If I have any issues I will definitely post them.

My camber currently is -1.1/-1.2 front and -1.8/-1.8 rear, from my last alignment. If you're similar on the same springs we should be able to compare notes, unless you go with some meatier/squarer tires.

these are the exact wheels I'm looking at. lol. im running ed springs as well without the rear pucks.. so far you still have no issues rubbing or anything?

Engineer90

Ready to race!

There's a user in the vortex forums who has Eiback ProKit, Neuspeed RSE10 18x8.5 et45 with 245/40/18 BFG SportComps, and he says absolutely no rubbing. They are the more square tires since the 8.5 width wheels are straight with it and don't stretch the tire at all.

Point being, you with 235 you should be ok. Might rub in deep dips tho.

mk6chrs

Car(s)
'15 GTI mt, '16 Jeta
these are 18x9 et 45 with 255/30s all around, another 15mm further out wouldn't work or look good

Sorry to bring up an old thread, I have a 2015 GTI S . I have a set of 17x9 +45 wrapped in 245/40s on my Jetta and want to put them on my GTI. I test fitted them on the GTI and they fit up front no problem. However, when I get coils or bags, I am scared that it won't clear the front strut. I had to use a 3mm spacer in the front of my jetta to clear these wheels with bc br coils. I would really appreciate any insight. Trying to figure out what to do.... thanks!

ps goal is no spacers lol

Last edited: