GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheels stuck to axle (and wheel alignments)

mawallace

Ready to race!
I have two questions:-

1. I had a puncture last night. I jacked the car and loosened the nuts but the wheel would not come lose - it was "stuck" onto the axle.

I called out the emergency breakdown service - they freed it by hitting it from underneath the car while I pulled from outside. It took the two of us as he could not do this on his own.

Is this common? If so, is there anything I can do to stop it from happenind again?

2. I took the car to have the wheels aligned. They only had data for a 2013 Golf - are the measurements the same for all Mk7's?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Wheels sticking to the hub because of "dissimilar metal corrosion" is very common & old news..my first car way back in 1994 had this....

The car manufactures do not see this as a problem & refuse to solve it....

The solution is to remove the wheels & apply a thin film of copper grease to the mating surfaces...infact you will notice that the wheel contact area is smaller than the hub so apply to the wheel only & around the inside of the centre bore of the wheel & the sticking out olive section on the hub.

Then also apply a thin film to the bolts & the radius ball part which tightens up against the wheel...

As for wheel spec, 2013 onwards it what it should say....where did you take it...