GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

gripper lsd

kidaho

hello, Looking for advice on 2017 5 speed. i have a gripper lsd made for an 02j and a pre 2004 113mm 3.6 crown wheel im planing on installing. I have ton a ton of research and all signs point to it being compatable but i could not find anyone who has actually installed an earlier lsd with crown on the newer version of that 5 speed. thanks

SRoads

Ready to race!
I have never heard of a gripper lsd. Any reason why you want to a put an lsd on a regular golf? What are you planning on doing with the car?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Any reason why you want to a put an lsd on a regular golf?

It's important :p!

I also haven't heard of gripper LSD's, the two big ones I know are wavetrac and qualife. LSD's for the base golf are a bit confusing compatibility wise. I know for certain that wavetrac has an LSD for the mk7's 5mt, but I can't remember which one and they don't list which one on their site. I'm not sure if it's the one for the 02J, and if it isn't then that might be a problem for you. I remember it being a bit counter intuitive. I'm sure there's someone on here who would have the answer.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Never heard of these but apparently used in racing.

The Gripper is a Weisman-type LSD, which we used in our 300-bhp rally car (see my avatar). These LSD types handle transitions much more progressively than the Quaife Torsen-type when you set the preload low (we typically set a breakaway torque of about 60-ft-lbs.) so the handling on twisty/snowy roads is much better in my experience. The black magic bits are in the clutches/friction material, oil and the ramp design for the pinion gear shaft to ride up on (which is what presses the clutches together). And yes, I can attest to the marketing claims that you can drive the car out of a stage when you break an axle...

As you point out, these units are not maintenance-free like a Quaife. The clutches will wear and toss some friction material into the gearbox. If I were doing one for a street car, I'd go with the Quaife. But if I were doing serious track days frequently, I'd go with the Torsen unit for better handling -- and best to add an oil pump and filter for the gearbox fluid to get more mileage out of the gearbox and your ring and pinion gears.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Source http://www.focusst.org/forum/#/topics/18553

Also can customize
https://gripperlsd.com/product/volkswagon-golf-02a-02j/

SRoads

Ready to race!
If you have rationalized in your mind you "need" an LSD. Autotech Wavetrac is superior to most others.