GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dodgy 2nd to 3rd manual gear changes

RTID75

Passed Driver's Ed
New to the manual box on the GTD, having previously had a DSG GTD.

Probably one in eight changes from 2nd to 3rd gear doesn't go in. I'm tall and I thought maybe the seat (being all the way back) was too far back and I wasn't getting the clutch all the way in, possibly explaining not finding 3rd. I moved the seat forward slightly and it didn't make any difference.

It seems to me that perhaps the gear lever isn't centred 100% when I push forwards to get third. It's like the gear isn't there. When I let go and try again it'll go in.

I've driven manual cars for 21 years and never had this problem on any other.

Can anyone else relate to this? Do you think I have a problem?

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Had similar but on a 6 speed box in a mk4 1.9 Gt tdi, yours is still under warranty so if you have any concerns at all take it back to the dealer.

SRoads

Ready to race!
New to the manual box on the GTD, having previously had a DSG GTD.

Probably one in eight changes from 2nd to 3rd gear doesn't go in. I'm tall and I thought maybe the seat (being all the way back) was too far back and I wasn't getting the clutch all the way in, possibly explaining not finding 3rd. I moved the seat forward slightly and it didn't make any difference.

It seems to me that perhaps the gear lever isn't centred 100% when I push forwards to get third. It's like the gear isn't there. When I let go and try again it'll go in.

I've driven manual cars for 21 years and never had this problem on any other.

Can anyone else relate to this? Do you think I have a problem?
Look up VW 6 speed linkage adjustment on youtube.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Current VW linkages are rubbish...various How to guides to retro fit various metal arms etc from Audi TT etc I did on for MQ250 & somebody else did one for MQ300 (yours)..all in the DIY section..

.also fit 42DD bushes into the eyes..I've just done the last possible mod of Dieselgeek delrin bushes for the gearstick rod in the cabin..

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Might just take some getting used to, but there's several mods to enhance clutch and shifter feel.

Clutch bleeder block delay valve removal

Short shifter (oem or aftermarket)

Heavy weight shift knob (BFI is the most OEM quality I've seen)

This is all observations since my shifter is stock, I just installed ECS tunings bleeder block and love it.

RTID75

Passed Driver's Ed
First and foremost I think I'll have to get VW to look at it. They sort of already have when they were fixing a carpet issue a couple of weeks back, but it was really an afterthought on my part so I expect they didn't have an in depth look.

Thanks for the replies. :)

RTID75

Passed Driver's Ed
It's been a while, the issue persists and they've had it in twice under warranty and once for service and I asked them to have a look at this issue each time.

Sadly all I'm getting is 'we've taken it out and our technician can't get it to happen', and that's as far as it goes. :(

Maybe my initial estimate of how many times it happens was a bit strong, but it's happening, guaranteed, at least once maybe twice or three times each time I drive 10-11 miles to and from work.

What do you do when something doesn't happen when VW take it out,
but you know it happens every day? It's very frustrating and it's spoiling my enjoyment of the car.