GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

:: ECS Tuning :: New ECS Climate Control Rings For Your MK7 - Click Here !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman1979

Keep them coming!

Andy

Doh! I have the notched ones and there are IMPOSSIBLE to get off; had to use a rubber mallet to get them on and now they will simply take them back.

You are going to have my OEM climate control knobs also (CANT GET THEM OFF)....

So +++1 on the auto-knobs. Stop being cheap; it assure you it isn't that difficult to omit that aspect of the knob in it's production!

Brian

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Doh! I have the notched ones and there are IMPOSSIBLE to get off; had to use a rubber mallet to get them on and now they will simply take them back.

You are going to have my OEM climate control knobs also (CANT GET THEM OFF)....

So +++1 on the auto-knobs. Stop being cheap; it assure you it isn't that difficult to omit that aspect of the knob in it's production!

Brian

You used a rubber mallet on you dash to install?:eek:
Your sandman name might be revoked for this!;)

sandman1979

You used a rubber mallet on you dash to install?:eek:
Your sandman name might be revoked for this!;)

No, LOL! I took the dials off and then placed them on the garage floor (with padding to prevent scratching) THEN took the mallet to them. Jerks at ECS said 'there are no directions, simply push on'. I am surprised my hand didn't go through my climate control section of my car...good thing the cars are made better than the aftermarket products we buy for them :mad:

Can't revoke the name. If you are stupid enough to get it tattooed on your arm, then you are stuck with it ;).

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
No, LOL! I took the dials off and then placed them on the garage floor (with padding to prevent scratching) THEN took the mallet to them. Jerks at ECS said 'there are no directions, simply push on'. I am surprised my hand didn't go through my climate control section of my car...good thing the cars are made better than the aftermarket products we buy for them :mad:

Can't revoke the name. If you are stupid enough to get it tattooed on your arm, then you are stuck with it ;).

Ouch.

runnerdm6

I bought these for my incoming car. To those who have done this mod- to get the climate controls off the car so I can install the rings, do I simply pull them off? Has anyone been able to install the rings directly to the climate controls without removing them from the car? Thanks in advance!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I bought these for my incoming car. To those who have done this mod- to get the climate controls off the car so I can install the rings, do I simply pull them off? Has anyone been able to install the rings directly to the climate controls without removing them from the car? Thanks in advance!

Below is some info on a different type of dial covers I use. I have not modified as mentioned below. Hard to find better opting as the groove cut in part controls diameter of prong that fits. Sorry below not linked. Tried in Tapatalk and it moved an entire copy over. [emoji15]. Well pics did link. Good.

I think the ECS covers install similar. Not sure if held by Oring. If you like Leyo better, maybe return ECS.

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Leyo Motorsports has a nice looking web site and some interesting products, with more coming. However, one should be able to order thru the web site. Looks like site is being worked on for some time. You must email them if you want to place an order. My only other issue was shipping cost is high. Quick but high. Parts come from Taiwan. Based on web site I would have thought they had a distribution office in the USA.

Packaging is top shelf. Nice box and presentation.

Part work looks good on machining and knurling.

The radio covers fit tight. The covers have an O-ring inside and are held on by friction. (no glue or tape)

Due to the radio covers being tight I had to install by adding a little wipe of spit and they slid right on.

Yes, I know, now my car has spit on the knobs now. But it works well and dries in place. :)

The larger covers are not as tight. I think they should fit a little more snug. They slip on and stay in place. They turn the knows with no issue but they can be lifted of fairly easy. I have not had them fall off but if you have kids they may get lifted. All can be removed quickly for cleaning.

They feel great to the touch. Knurling is not too harsh or too smooth. Just right. Takes some getting used to as the OE knobs are smaller (radio) and when driving it feels odd to grad a knob that is larger than one expects. (no comments);)

I will likely ask Leyo if they have a larger O-ring to make the larger AC knobs fit better. A larger circumference O-ring might help this. I will also just try Lowe's and see if I can find a better fit.

The fit is not a deal breaker. They fit and work fine, I just would like it a little tighter.

I think they look great. High end look. :cool:

See below.

Two stickers with item. One white and black.

Also an information card on product inside.

Like a business card.

Cost - $47

Shipping - $27:eek:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_fid=112413&share_type=t&share_pid=344284

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sandman1979

IMO, the ECS web site was:
1. devoid of information. Made it sound like the rings could fit on anything MK7.
2. After receiving, and ultimately being disgusted with the product I sent them back. Then they updated the site to indicate that it was designed without the Climatronic system and also conveniently say "Please note, Climatronic (automatic) systems do not have illuminated dial indicators as they spin infinitely, however, the machined indicator window gives an excellent reference point for dial location".
But if a dial rotates infinitely, why the hell do you need to know a reference point? If you want to spin left, spin left. Also, the 'notch' always seems like it is on the bottom. It looks ridiculous also.

IMO, this is a super cheap mod and yet ECS still manages to charge $30-40 for them (not including shipping cost).
If you have the climatronic system:
1. You will be forced to use a rubber mallet to get them on.
2. You will have to use a hack saw to get them off.

This experience alone makes me with I had another option to purchase some of the MK7 products that only they have :(.

So, don't waste your $. If you already purchased them, send them back while you can still get your $ back instead of store credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.