GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intro and questions from a VW noob

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Watch this just for fun
https://youtu.be/06q4ekARSN4
You do not have to pay for dealers add on that you don't want, that's it. If they want to remove the dealers installed light thingy that's fine but you do not pay for crap that you do not want or asked for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StephanieH

Not stretching myself thin; I just feel that if I'm going to not get much of a deal relative to a new 2018, why not wait and get the longer warranty and bigger touchscreen? I'm actually willing to pay more for a 2018 than the offer I rejected on the 2017.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Not stretching myself thin; I just feel that if I'm going to not get much of a deal relative to a new 2018, why not wait and get the longer warranty and bigger touchscreen? I'm actually willing to pay more for a 2018 than the offer I rejected on the 2017.

The question you have to ask yourself then is how much more are you willing to pay since 18s aren't going to have any discounts for awhile that are anywhere near that good.

StephanieH

Well, I feel at the $21-$23,000 price point the Golf is a great car for the money. I am taking the risk that the 2018 SE won't match the Wolfsburg in features for price point.

The thing is, IMO, what the first dealer offered wasn't a great deal because it blocked me from getting the interest payments and monthly payments down by using all of the down payment I saved up.

I talked to another dealer with the same model/color on the lot who seems much more motivated and said they'd work with me and wouldn't limit my down payment. If they will match the same offer as the other dealer but with no limit on downpayment, or take less off but offer better APR to a similar price point, I'll take it!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The Questions Begin:

1. The near-universal reaction I got from people when I told them I was thinking of buying a VW was, "But aren't they unreliable cars?" The results of my research on this subject were mixed. So I ask: How long should I expect to drive this car before I start having issues? How good is the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty and the 6-year drivetrain warranty beyond that? Should I expect to drive this car for ten years or to want to be replacing it in three to five?

2. In relation to the above, would it be worth it to wait until the next model year, when the "VW People's Warranty" comes into effect, doubling the span of the bumper-to-bumper warranty?

As a long-time Honda owner, I too was skittish about the supposed unreliability of VW products, especially when it comes to the electrics. There was once a time when that was indeed the case. But, there was a time in the not-too-distant past where you couldn't say "Kia" and "reliable" in the same sentence with a straight face, and kind-of a lot has changed since then.

My brother is coming up on the end of a 3-year lease on a 2015 GTI, and it has yet to make one unscheduled visit to a dealer. If the 6-year warranty helps you sleep at night, wait for a 2018. Having said that, I bought my 2017 just after they announced that, because the 2018 vehicles are mostly identical to the 2017s, which means if VW is willing to double the warranty on their cars, they're good cars. Really long warranties are the car companies' way of putting their money where their mouths are on the subject of reliability, so if they're willing to back next year's slightly different version for twice as long, I'm betting this year's car is just as good, but with better incentives available.