GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8 TSI Making Tapping Noise on Acceleration

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!
2017 Golf SEL TSI
Less than 2k miles

Upon acceleration, let's say getting up to speed from a stop light with about 10-15% throttle, I'm getting this tapping/clicking noise from the engine/front area. It's not obscenely loud, took several times to get audio. I have not heard it from the outside of the car. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out, now i'm waiting for the regional dude to come take a look. They described it as a "faint knocking." So far, the car has been great but this noise is pretty annoying. It does not happen at first start, it seems to come on when the car warms up. I'd say i can replicate it about 89% of the time. I'm really glad the dealer heard it, now they know i'm not crazy.

What do you think? Here's some sound clips, you might have to turn your speakers up.

Listen from 2-7 seconds
Listen from 3-8 seconds
LISTEN - Got more sound

Edit: Dealer has checked the normal things under the hood and below to make sure nothing was loose. They've also installed a kit from VW to hold the fuel lines so they won't rattle.
Edit: updated sound links

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
That does sound weird. I have no idea what it might be.

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!
LISTEN - Got more sound

The tapping is growing louder. Dealer said they drove a few golfs on the lot and said it made the same noise. Brought my car back and let them drive it, noise - totally different. I know what "normal" engine noise is.

Still waiting for when the VW engineer is going to come down and take a look. So far, just a couple of questions he sent via email.

oilcountry

It is most likely wastegate noise. We were quite concerned as well and took ours in for diagnosis. The clip they use causes it to rattle somewhat, in the same situations that "knocking" would happen. There is a technical bulletin for the mk6 to replace the clip, nothing yet for the 1.8tsi mk7. Took our car in with the same concern, they replaced the turbo and it made the same noise, took them a couple days to figure it out. All cars on the lot made the same noise.

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!
Where are you in the Pacific Northwest? BC? We had ours diag'd at White Rock VW.

WA - Got a msg from the dealer. They said it’s the fuel lines rattling underneath the frame rail. They didn’t mention the wastegate being an issue. They said they put pressure on the lines in that area and the noise went away. So now they’re waiting for VW to give them direction.

I surely hope that’s it. They’ve previously put some items on the fuel lines before and it didn’t sold it.

The other cars on the lot did not make this specific noise.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
that sounds like rod knock to me...but then again that makes no sense if it goes away between shifts. It coincides with the engine rpms though.

I'd go with what oilcountry is saying if they had the same issue and it was fixed. Idk how a wastegate could make sounds like that but it does only make it under power/spool so that could be it