GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hubcentric rings for aftermarket wheels on the track

teemmy

Ready to race!
Do I need to/should run hubcentric rings for my aftermarket rims that have a bore of 66.56?

I think from my understanding people recommend them as they're a way to help you mount the wheels but they don't carry any load so they're recommended but not necessarily required

If I should get them, should I run aluminum rings since I plan on tracking the car with the rims?

Thanks

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I've heard of people melting the poly rings on track, so aluminum would be my recommendation.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
yes you should get hub rings that make them 57.1. The plastic hub rings hold heat fairly well, but as stated above if youre tracking hard you should consider aluminum. Down side to aluminum rings is that they get stuck on the hub and sometimes are hard to get off.

I've used both for the track the last few years. Haven't really had a preference of one or the other. I do about ~10 track days a year

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I've tracked the plastic ones, they might get sticky after but I have't had them just melted and gone away. Aluminum one can seize on steel parts and that is way harder to remove....

I just treat the plastic one as wear part and replace every season...

teemmy

Ready to race!
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm going to try the aluminum rings and put some anti-seize around them as I put them on. Hopefully this helps!

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm going to try the aluminum rings and put some anti-seize around them as I put them on. Hopefully this helps!

aluminum doesn't actually seize in the traditional sense, but instead what's happening is that it's oxidizing and then bonding to the ferrous material around it. What you really don't want to happen is for some of this oxidized/bonded material to fly off and get into your moving bits. I recommend running a properly fitting wheel first, but if that's not possible for whatever reason, run a high temp plastic or machined SS and replace periodically.

If you poke around at the Lotus and NSX forums you'll find guys that have destroyed hubs because of hubrings, have had weird vibrations, etc.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yeah dissimilar metal corrosion is no joke, I'd rather use plastic than potentially have to mess with cutting off a set of aluminum rings

Remember they're just for wheel alignment on install, so really no structural load on them while driving to worry about. If they get melty they'll harden up again when they cool. Might not look as nice, but hey at least they're easily removed

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

It won't. I had a set of aluminum rings, and after a month or so, they had to be removed using a blowtorch, and that was with a generous application of anti-seize.

I'd try the plastic ones first; if they don't work out, you've only lost $10.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I've been using aluminum rings and anti-sieze for years without an issue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk