GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wait for 2018 GTI, or value shop 2017's now?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
That is not what is holding up the 18s. If that was teh case we would have Golf Rs here. Vw has their timeline set, the public just doesn't know about it

Ninjastyle

Passed Driver's Ed
No one knows but doubt it

Doubt the 2018 deals will be as ridiculous as the 2017 deals. The value of the additional 3 years of warranty will obviously end up getting baked into the prices. So even if you can get a decent year-end deal on a 2018 I doubt the deals will approach what we are seeing now (in terms of % relative to MSRP).

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
That is not what is holding up the 18s. If that was teh case we would have Golf Rs here. Vw has their timeline set, the public just doesn't know about it

Maybe they want to introduce the new R together with the new GTI. I figured the whole Golf lineup would be released all at once.

I don't know the real reason, but I've seen a few people here mention the "clearing inventory" theory...which is motivated by the fact that the 18 is apparently being released later than previous years. If they would just tell us the timeline, we wouldn't have to speculate and come up with theories, lol

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
So I tried a test which may or may not be useful, in an effort to see how much depreciation hit you take when you drive it off the lot. Ran a KBB what's my car worth analysis for a 2016 and 2017 Autobahn GTI with comparable equipment (bi-xenon lights, performance pack), and DSG, with 5,000 miles in excellent condition. As a retail private sale the difference was about $700 for the 2017; as a trade-in the difference was a range of $1-3k.

I would expect the gap to be greater between 2018 and 2017 due to refresh, longer warranty, etc.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Doubt the 2018 deals will be as ridiculous as the 2017 deals. The value of the additional 3 years of warranty will obviously end up getting baked into the prices. So even if you can get a decent year-end deal on a 2018 I doubt the deals will approach what we are seeing now (in terms of % relative to MSRP).

If 2017's aren't moving, then 2018's probably won't move quickly either. Heavy discounts and incentives will start happening early summer.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Maybe they want to introduce the new R together with the new GTI. I figured the whole Golf lineup would be released all at once.

lolololololol

VWoA with a marketing plan for the Golf, needed a good laugh today.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
I'm being offered a 2017 sport DSG for 23k including destination and dealer fees. Debating whether to take it or wait for a 18 with 2x the warranty. I prob won't keep the car 6 years (probably 2-3). Wondering if the extra warranty will help the used car value more than the discounts on the 17's.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
So you know what was appealing about the sport (cloth, no sunroof, PP, and LP) will not be available on the 18. You will be forced to get the sunroof to get LP and PP. it will also come with uglier wheels and some of the DAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I'm being offered a 2017 sport DSG for 23k including destination and dealer fees. Debating whether to take it or wait for a 18 with 2x the warranty. I prob won't keep the car 6 years (probably 2-3). Wondering if the extra warranty will help the used car value more than the discounts on the 17's.

That is an insane good deal. You can buy an extended warranty and still ahead if you bought a 2018.

I bought my Sport in July 2017...and I paid a heck of alot more.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I like the new Dallas/Houston (I've seen both names used) wheels. They kind of resemble razor blades with their angular design, and they make a cool visual effect when in motion. The Austin wheels are bland and boring IMO.

If you don't like them, that's just how you feel. You can't change how you feel about something. I'm glad I don't feel that way.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

I would go with 2017 Sport. You might get more with 2018s when you sell it after 3 years but you will be spending more now as well. And Sport trim has good mix of options and you will not able to get that with 2018s.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I would go with 2017 Sport. You might get more with 2018s when you sell it after 3 years but you will be spending more now as well. And Sport trim has good mix of options and you will not able to get that with 2018s.

I know the sport trim won't be available for 2018, but does that mean you won't be able to get an S with both the performance and lighting packages? Other than the wheels, there's not much else that is unique to the Sport trim, is there?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I know the sport trim won't be available for 2018, but does that mean you won't be able to get an S with both the performance and lighting packages? Other than the wheels, there's not much else that is unique to the Sport trim, is there?

2018 S will not have bigger brakes and front differential.