GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > General Car News and Discussions

Old 04-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Some of These Car Features Go Too Far

Next thing you know, it will park your car if you curse, and warn you not to curse again. Hit your horn too many times? Same thing. And don't even think of exceeding the speed limit or passing a car, or Verizon will use your GPS to send the cops after you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/a...ions.html?_r=0
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.

Last edited by The Fed; 04-09-2017 at 01:22 PM.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
EXEA189

Drives: 2017 /// GTI Sport
I'm not too sure what all of VW's "Eco tips" are, but I had started my Gti and was doing something with my iPhone and an eco tip popped up on the MFD about how idling for too long wastes gas.

Then a friend said he was driving in the interstate with his windows down, and his 2017 Golf Wolfsburg pooped a message up... something about "Don't be a drag, it's more aerodynamic with the windows up." Apparently the car knows when you're at highway speed and the windows are down. LOL!
EXEA189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
The Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEA189 View Post
I'm not too sure what all of VW's "Eco tips" are, but I had started my Gti and was doing something with my iPhone and an eco tip popped up on the MFD about how idling for too long wastes gas.

Then a friend said he was driving in the interstate with his windows down, and his 2017 Golf Wolfsburg pooped a message up... something about "Don't be a drag, it's more aerodynamic with the windows up." Apparently the car knows when you're at highway speed and the windows are down. LOL!
First I hear of this one. Anyone try it?
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:39 AM   #4
Sandman GTI

Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Slowly your freedom will be removed.
Many laugh at this but stand by and watch, it will happen.
Soon your car will send an email to dealer telling them what mods you have made.
Then you will get an email stating your warranty is voided.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
TheWombat

Drives: Golf R MKVII 2016 manual
Monitoring and reporting is all part of the essential framework for eventual autonomous operation. Already there are systems that allow cars to talk to each other and exchange information, as well as report information to other monitors. It makes sense that internally the vehicle has to be aware of pretty much everything going on in its own systems, and those systems are already highly computerized (which means, totally monitored and recorded in some fashion).

Don't expect the car manufacturers to resist this trend either. They care not one whit whether the products they sell are engaging road machines requiring operator skill and engagement, or interchangeable autonomous people pods. As long as they sell something, to someone, and it has their label on it, it's golden. And make no mistake: autonomous operation, or even semi-autonomous operation, will require near universal integration of all the vehicles on the road. Not immediately, of course, but the logic is pretty clear. You can't put in the money for the infrastructure, you can't deliver on the promise of safety, without pretty much every car being in and integrated with the system. So even if, for a while at least, you have a car you "can" drive yourself, it will have an override mode for when you transition, say, into the Los Angeles Autonomous Motor Vehicle Zone, where the system (SkyNet?) will take over your fancy Mk XII GTI and plod you along at 35MPH in bumper to bumper traffic.
TheWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
Faceman

Drives: 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
I've received both of those messages in my 17' 4Motion.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
MeltedSolid

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSI Launch Edition
Considering other humans have a very difficult time determining my thoughts and mood based on my facial expressions I would be very hard pressed to believe that a car will be capable of that any time soon... I wonder if it will have a back off mode when I stare at it angrily. And if it turns on the god damn music when I want it to be silent it should know what's coming for it. That's already a problem with my golf, it's been turning on the music every time I start the car for the past few weeks now and it's irritating...
2015 TSI Launch Edition | Deep Black | 5-spd manual | APR Stage 1 + JB4 + IS20 swap | DIY Turbo Muffler Delete | 17" Enkei RPF1's | 034 dogbone insert V1 | BC Racing BR series Coilovers | ST 25mm rear sway bar | DIY HD Clutch Stop |
MeltedSolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #8
The Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
I've received both of those messages in my 17' 4Motion.

I do a lot of idling waiting for the wife and never got a message about it in my R.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:23 AM   #9
Faceman

Drives: 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion
My foot accidentally bumped into the accelerator while the car was running and in Park. I caught a glimpse of another Eco Tip, but will have to recreate the scenario to pick up the exact message.

Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #10
zimmie2652

Drives: 2015 GTI S
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
First thing I did was figure out running off certain tips via vagcom. I got tired of the windows one constantly popping up real quick.

Future: is38, wheels & tires, coils/springs (undecided)
zimmie2652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
EXEA189

Drives: 2017 /// GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmie2652 View Post
First thing I did was figure out running off certain tips via vagcom. I got tired of the windows one constantly popping up real quick.
No need for vagcom, I believe you can disable eco tips under Car button > cog symbol.
EXEA189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #12
odessa.filez

Drives: 2016 GSW 1.8T S
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEA189 View Post
No need for vagcom, I believe you can disable eco tips under Car button > cog symbol.
I just wish VW would allow me to reset throttle and trans adapt on my own, with their blessing. For these items "learning my habits" seems to lead to rough 3-2 shifts. Fine tune that first please, before moving on to all these "enhancements".

edit sorry wasn't meant as a response to the quote. Just a general sarcastic comment.
odessa.filez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #13
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
RIP freedom
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote