GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

7.5 track comparison.

Pickleahoy1

Ready to race!
That was a fun watch. The R doesnt really do well as a track car off the factory, it only shines if the road is wet so it stops being such an understeering dog in stock form.

Isn't it pointless to run a Diesel on track?
Isn't it pointless to compare a non-PP GTI to an R?
Isn't it unusual measuring laptimes with a standing start?

nate704

Go Kart Champion
That was a fun watch. The R doesnt really do well as a track car off the factory, it only shines if the road is wet so it stops being such an understeering dog in stock form.

Yes, R sucks at the track due to its weight, and not having the LSD/VAQ doesn't help either.
But, it is good for everyday driving in public roads since 99% of the drivers in the world don't/won't drive on the track at all.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Isn't it pointless to run a Diesel on track?
Isn't it pointless to compare a non-PP GTI to an R?
Isn't it unusual measuring laptimes with a standing start?
You didn't like this clip? I did. It struck me as interesting from a curiosity perspective. As I'm sure you know, probably half of all Golf sales worldwide are diesels, a phenomenon brought on by tax policies as much as fuel economy. VW has wisely chosen to cater to those who want the handling of a GTI married to a car that's inexpensive to own and run. It only makes sense that those who test these things for a living would opt to compare a diesel with its gasoline equivalent.

With regard to the decision to run a non-PP GTI, I agree it would have made sense to run a PP GTI, but I'm going to guess they chose to "run what they brung," or more likely, what was made available to them to test. Also, in a sense, this was an apple-to-apple comparison: The diesel wasn't a PP car nor was the GTI. Thus, this was a comparison of two cars with different motors but the same chassis and brakes, etc.

As for the standing start, beats me why they chose that. If your point is that the difference between the GTD and the GTI would have closer with a running start, I agree. But macht nichts -- it was entertaining enough. What impressed me most, however, was the fact that running a Golf, any Golf, around a race track isn't an absurdity in itself. To the contrary. The cars acquit themselves well. They handle well, the cars are responsive, and the brakes are up to the task. I'm impressed.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
And yet the GTI still came within 7 seconds of the R. :eek:

Does this mean a PP GTI can perform nearly as well as an R?
It was actually within 3 seconds, seems that the PP would do better yet? [emoji41] [emoji106]

Sent using Pied Piper middle out compression app

I think the Audi LMP1 cars proved diesel could run quite well at a track.
Did it prove ANY Diesel should be run on a track?
Is a Golf GTD any similar to an LMP car other than it burns Diesel?

It was actually within 3 seconds, seems that the PP would do better yet?
Just guessing, the PP should be closer to the R than it's to the non-PP GTI,
but PP is even well worth its price when it's somewhere right between.

VW has wisely chosen to cater to those who want the handling of a GTI married to a car that's inexpensive to own and run. It only makes sense that those who test these things for a living would opt to compare a diesel with its gasoline equivalent.
I don't question you could have fun with a GTD on winding roads, even if it's
less as it is with a GTI, but driving on several tracks with lots of different cars
in the past decade, I'm sure it'll be way less fun with a GTD on any track, as
on track you keep the engine very most of the time where it delivers most of
the power. Do you think it's 'fun' revving a TDI up to 3500 to 4500 rpm for
several laps? Secondly, it's lacking power. Even a GTI is lacking some power
(on track). You can even feel the heavier Diesel engine in tighter corners.
Being little anal, no, the GTD doesn't handle the same as a GTI.