GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Feel like this didn't warrant a new thread, so this seems like a good place.

I had the yellow Lamin-x vinyl on my MKV fog lights and really liked it, so I've been considering it on the MK7. My concern is that I have the LP and the LED fogs have a blue-ish tint to them. Am I going to be cruising down the road with green fog lights that are obvious to oncoming traffic?

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!

What size hole do I drill for these plate holder rivets?

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I've got a stupid question:

if I get the deautokey led kit for the oem tail lights and I eventually change to the euro spec golf r led taillights will the bulbs be compatible or will I need to get different sized bulbs?

I assume they are diff sizes but haven't seen the different bulb sizes listed anywhere.

Are you referring to the reverse?

If so reverse 921 LED for non-euro LEDs:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-bright-10pc-cree-led-reverse-kit-error-free-plug-play

Or if you have euro LEDs the reverse you require would be here:
http://deautokey.com/product/reverse-leds-for-mk7-euro-led-taillights

greypanter

Ready to race!
So I've got a dum one for y'all. On the tachymeter what is that rounded dot that never lights up? It's right by 7k rpm...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
VTEC? [emoji12]

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Detects of ambient light is enough to need headlights on. Notice that if it gets too dark and your headlights are not on, the lights of the gauge turn off, and you're left with your needle being the only thing lit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

greypanter

Ready to race!
Detects of ambient light is enough to need headlights on. Notice that if it gets too dark and your headlights are not on, the lights of the gauge turn off, and you're left with your needle being the only thing lit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Learning something new everyday. I have my headlights on auto that's why I've never noticed it lit up. Thanks again

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
it does a terrible job at auto-adjusting the gauge brightness in low-light. I've noticed this on my mk6 also but at dusk if you have your headlights off and not on auto-mode the light sensor is supposed to brighten the white gauge lettering so you can see it but it only does it incredibly dimly to the point where you enrage and just turn your headlights on to see the gauges again.

Does it on my mk7 just as piss-poorly

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
it does a terrible job at auto-adjusting the gauge brightness in low-light. I've noticed this on my mk6 also but at dusk if you have your headlights off and not on auto-mode the light sensor is supposed to brighten the white gauge lettering so you can see it but it only does it incredibly dimly to the point where you enrage and just turn your headlights on to see the gauges again.

From what I've read, that's not how VW designed it.

What VW did is used the light sensor to purposely dim the gauge cluster when there isn't enough light so that drivers are forced to turn on their headlights. From a design standpoint (I do software design), that's a smart way to dummy-proof the car a bit. There are many people who drive at night thinking their headlights are on despite seeing absolutely no light projecting in front of them OR they see their DRLs' dim light and think that those are headlights.

@DV52 has a detailed paper on the dimming thresholds of the gauge cluster sensor (and code to override the dimming, iirc).

Raegar

Ready to race!
I'd like to understand how launch control works mechanically in our cars specifically - as in what each piece of the system as a whole is doing during that short time when you're in sport or manual mode, traction control is off, brakes are applied, and boost is being built.

Now what happens if you're in D, WITH traction control on and you've got your brakes applied and giving it gas?...what would the car do in such a case?

mkygod

Ready to race!

That's not how it works.

It works the same way the light sensor does on your phone. In dim lighitng, the brightness dims, in bright lighting, it brightens.

This is because in dark environments, your eyes pickup faint light better, so there is no need to brighten the dials. A bright dial is actually distracting when it's dark. In brighter environments, the sun can outshine and glare over the dials, so you need more light from the dials in order to compensate for it.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Every time I turn on the car the media volume is 0. Is there an option to start it at a certain level or the level when the car was last turned off?