GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

upgrade rotors?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I've heard great stuff about GLoc, that's a bummer that the streetable pad doesn't come with the carrier clips, I wouldn't be happy either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swoope

Ready to race!
I've heard great stuff about GLoc, that's a bummer that the streetable pad doesn't come with the carrier clips, I wouldn't be happy either.

OK,

Im a bit late to this thread this week. but a was at roebling road. last weekend.

my 15 gti pp has ~ 28 k miles on it. ~ 1k are at RR. .5k are at sebring short coarse.

most have been on stock gti pads. sebring taught me about ebc and now i have been using porterfield s4 on track. little bit of daytona also.

still my rotors are fine. explain.. :)

beers

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
OK,

Im a bit late to this thread this week. but a was at roebling road. last weekend.

my 15 gti pp has ~ 28 k miles on it. ~ 1k are at RR. .5k are at sebring short coarse.

most have been on stock gti pads. sebring taught me about ebc and now i have been using porterfield s4 on track. little bit of daytona also.

still my rotors are fine. explain.. :)

beers

Not sure what that has to do with that quote, but are you tuned at all or still on stock power? My rotors were over 30k miles when I pulled them off, I also got them used with 2 or 3 track days on them from a friend. My last track day smoked them, but could have to do more with the R4-S pads being way over their limit and basically melting.

How do you like the R4 pads? I have a track day tomorrow, looking forward to trying them out.

whiskey

Last edited:

rexneffect

Ready to race!

FYI - The guys at Gloc took some measurements off my R calipers to adjust their backing plates sizing a few weeks ago. Call them and see if they made the adjustment, but I'd gander they have.
Their r8 compound did just fine for a track day and good daily in NC as well. Will likely leave them. Just squeaky, but that's expected. Seems like less dust than stock, but probably not hard to do that!

edge04

Ready to race!
ok, what do you do when this end breaks? You know how it broke so don't ask lol. I didn't chase it so not sure where the other end is, is it replaceable? Of just disable it with VCDS?

By the way, Beat the crap out of my XP10's and cryo rotors today in my first race in the R. They held up well, let's see how long they last, will measure tomorrow.

AR11

Ready to race!
If I were you I'd pull that rubber boot off and use some cutting pliers to get a clean cut and assess how difficult it would be to strip both of the leads and close the loop. If this side of the plug is anything like the other side then it should be a pretty easy task - don't fret.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Brief update on the new brake setup on track. These Porterfield R4's stop on a dime! I didn't have any problems slowing down, I actually could've been more aggressive with them, but had a hard time breaking my old braking habits from my last couple track days. Between those pads, the new Stoptech rotors, and the brake ducts, I was pretty damn happy with how the brakes felt this weekend. Fade seemed pretty minimal and quick to recover.

Only weird thing is something on the pads had some kind of reaction and they turned everything white! Pretty crazy, left a white kind of powder everywhere. Also the calipers got so hot that my paint started flaking away, exposing the cast iron caliper in places. So they must be HOT, although the paint on my calipers is "after market" since they are used Golf R (black) calipers. I scraped the black paint off and put some quality red paint on, which has held up very well up until now. lol! Overall pretty damn happy, curious to see how they hold up in the long run.

The only thing that concerns me is that if it turned white then the pads may be overheating. If that's the case then I really need to get some ducting up to the calipers.

Last edited:

GolfArrr

Brief update on the new brake setup on track. These Porterfield R4's stop on a dime! I didn't have any problems slowing down, I actually could've been more aggressive with them, but had a hard time breaking my old braking habits from my last couple track days. Between those pads, the new Stoptech rotors, and the brake ducts, I was pretty damn happy with how the brakes felt this weekend. Fade seemed pretty minimal and quick to recover.

Only weird thing is something on the pads had some kind of reaction and they turned everything white! Pretty crazy, left a white kind of powder everywhere. Also the calipers got so hot that my paint started flaking away, exposing the cast iron caliper in places. So they must be HOT, although the paint on my calipers is "after market" since they are used Golf R (black) calipers. I scraped the black paint off and put some quality red paint on, which has held up very well up until now. lol! Overall pretty damn happy, curious to see how they hold up in the long run.

The only thing that concerns me is that if it turned white then the pads may be overheating. If that's the case then I really need to get some ducting up to the calipers.

Awesome feedback. Thanks for sharing with us!

Was the white powder just on the pads/backing plates when you took them off? My GLocs did this the first time out as well, after that nothing and they simply look the same old shade of ugly (but work well).

Did you remove your dust shields as well from the front brakes? I've been thinking of doing this when I add some ducting as you've done.

Also good to know on the GLoc backing plate update!!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Awesome feedback. Thanks for sharing with us!

Was the white powder just on the pads/backing plates when you took them off? My GLocs did this the first time out as well, after that nothing and they simply look the same old shade of ugly (but work well).

Did you remove your dust shields as well from the front brakes? I've been thinking of doing this when I add some ducting as you've done.

Yeah, it was just on the backing plate, around the edges, and around the outer edges of the rotor itself (kind of where the "vanes" are).. like a powder.

Yes I removed the shields on the front brakes for better ventilation, and I taped the ABS sensors with some heat-resistant "tape" just to be safe. I probably could've used more.

edge04

Ready to race!
that would be easy however I would think that would trick the system and never display the brake wear warning? What about fixing it back to stock. Guess I could find a connector and remake it?

If I were you I'd pull that rubber boot off and use some cutting pliers to get a clean cut and assess how difficult it would be to strip both of the leads and close the loop. If this side of the plug is anything like the other side then it should be a pretty easy task - don't fret.

Norsk982

Ready to race!
What's good brake rotors/pads for DD GTI PP with APR Stage 1 HO? I do drive aggressive and brake hard as well. I am at 25k miles, have about between 10mm left of the brake pads. My god, the OEM pads do dust badly!

No track days or autox!

edge04

Ready to race!
I'm going to do something similar. These brakes get hot! I've melted the boots, caliper paint has faded and brake pedal gets soft after 20 mins on track. May start to look into fabricating something that brings air to the rotors with tubes. May also switch to slotted rotors to see if that helps.

Yeah, it was just on the backing plate, around the edges, and around the outer edges of the rotor itself (kind of where the "vanes" are).. like a powder.

Yes I removed the shields on the front brakes for better ventilation, and I taped the ABS sensors with some heat-resistant "tape" just to be safe. I probably could've used more.