GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Excessive engine vibration/movement

Jondar

Ready to race!
I have recently been having a lot of engine movement while reversing and I didn't think about it too much at the time, but now it is happening more frequently. It is also happening now while I am driving forwards. Usually while idled at a stop sign/or light, as soon as I accelerate normally I get a few engine kicks (This does not happen all the time).

The best way to describe the movement is as if the engine were jumping.

I tried to isolate some recent modifications that I've done that possibly have something to do with the issues I am experiencing.

1. Unitronic Stage One

2. I tried to install 034 type 1 insert but couldn't fit it, I didn't have a rubber mallet at the time so I decided to put off the installation. In doing this, I couldn't get the factory mount screw back in because a few layers of the mount/frame weren't aligned. I had to pull/push all the layers together to fit the screw back in. - I am thinking this is probably the reason why I am experiencing heavy vibration, but I can't be sure.

3. Another possible reason; I was using tiptronic (I have an auto), and like a dyslexic scrub, I was downshifting instead of upshifting and the car stalled for a few seconds, while also losing power. EPC and check engine light came on and I had to park, power down and restart. As soon as I got home I plugged OBDeleven to see if I could troubleshoot the issue, couldn't find anything so I cleared the errors and proceeded to baby my car for the following week. I don't know if this could even be related to the issue I am having - but full disclosure.

Has anyone experienced anything thing like this?

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
My guess is that it has something to do with your attempted installation of dogbone insert.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You don't need a mallet to insert the 034 insert, if it does not slip in then you have the wrong one. Have you checked the bolt has not fallen out?

Jondar

Ready to race!
You don't need a mallet to insert the 034 insert, if it does not slip in then you have the wrong one.

My initial thought was that it would slip in, but it's a bit tight (No sexual innuendo intended). After triple checking the mount, it is indeed the correct insert. I am able to fit the insert, but bolting it on is where I run into trouble. It doesn't seem to align right where I can screw in the bolt all the way. The whole process using force seemed a bit iffy to me, so I decided to not install it. I'm thinking I have to tighten the bolt a bit more, however I don't have any means to measure ft/lbs. I am hoping I didn't screw up the mount in the process. - Worst case scenario I will just change out the whole lower engine mount.

Have you checked the bolt has not fallen out?

I thought it would be a lot more obvious if the bolt fell out, but there's only one way to be sure.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
3. Another possible reason; I was using tiptronic (I have an auto), and like a dyslexic scrub, I was downshifting instead of upshifting and the car stalled for a few seconds, while also losing power. EPC and check engine light came on and I had to park, power down and restart. As soon as I got home I plugged OBDeleven to see if I could troubleshoot the issue, couldn't find anything so I cleared the errors and proceeded to baby my car for the following week. I don't know if this could even be related to the issue I am having - but full disclosure.

This baffles me... It should be impossible to downshift where it's not safe with the auto (at least it was with my mk6), but you even got a check engine light and EPC! I don't know how you managed to pull that off!

Anyways, did you make sure to reinstall the dogbone bolt with a torque wrench to the proper spec? If not then it's probably that.
EDIT: I just read the above post. If you have an autozone near you then you can borrow ("rent") a torque wrench from them for free. If you can't do that find somewhere/someone with a torque wrench and borrow it. I believe the correct torque spec is just under 100ftlbs, so you'll really need to crank it down.

Jondar

Ready to race!
This baffles me... It should be impossible to downshift where it's not safe with the auto (at least it was with my mk6), but you even got a check engine light and EPC! I don't know how you managed to pull that off!

Normally I believe with auto/tiptronic, it helps you out if you are being and idiot and will upshift for you. However, I was punching it, meanwhile downshifting like a mad man because I was wondering why the gear wasn't changing. When I came to realization it was already too late, the car starting stalling. Incredibly dumb and embarrassing. I've sort of done this before, but it wasn't as dramatic, and the car shifted for me. I can't help but to think it may of been due to the tune.

Anyways, did you make sure to reinstall the dogbone bolt with a torque wrench to the proper spec? If not then it's probably that.
EDIT: I just read the above post. If you have an autozone near you then you can borrow ("rent") a torque wrench from them for free. If you can't do that find somewhere/someone with a torque wrench and borrow it. I believe the correct torque spec is just under 100ftlbs, so you'll really need to crank it down.

Going to do this today and see this eliminates the issue. - Thanks for suggestion.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
One of the most annoying things about the tiptronic was that the shifting is backwards :p.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
One of the most annoying things about the tiptronic was that the shifting is backwards :p.

What is it backwards compared to? I grew up with TH400 and TH350 transmissions. Unless you went full race on the thing and put in a reverse valve body, it was first all the way back. Then you pushed forward to upshift for second and third. Ford and Chrysler did it the same way. This is my fourth tiptronic and I never had issues or made a mistake. BMW does it the other way though. You push forward to downshift. I would screw that one up all the time.

Jondar

Ready to race!
Update:

Torqued the mount bolt to 100 nm per specifications and I am still having the same issue; just a bunch of motor movement while reversing.

Last edited:

Jondar

Ready to race!
Fixed:

Tightened the bolt using 130 NM. No more sick motor hops. Still can't figure out why the insert wont fit, it is definitely the correct version.

Edit: specs

Last edited:

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
If you downshifted to over-rev (which should be impossible), its very likely that the drivetrain jerked hard enough to damage the transmission mount. That's probably why the bolt wont fit. I can't imagine hammering the Tiptronic enough to cause the car to stall. You should probably drive a bit more calmly going forward.

Jondar

Ready to race!
If you downshifted to over-rev (which should be impossible), its very likely that the drivetrain jerked hard enough to damage the transmission mount. That's probably why the bolt wont fit. I can't imagine hammering the Tiptronic enough to cause the car to stall. You should probably drive a bit more calmly going forward.

To be honest I'm not all sure what went wrong. There were a few variables as to why it could of stalled. I had a OBD in reading boost during all of this, it may of been interfering with the computer.

My main issue is I am not able to actually fit the mount, it doesn't go in enough to even hold. When I press the insert against the mount and look into the bolt hole, the mount and dogbone are not aligned. Which is the reason why the bolt won't go in. Without the insert the bolt goes in just fine.

Last edited: