GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Golf R DSG Baseline Dyno

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Hey guys,

One of our employees just picked up a 2016 Golf R DSG the other day. We decided to get some baseline numbers on our AWD DynoJet. Once Cobb releases the AP for the R, we will do some playing with it :) Just wanted to share, as I didn't find too many dyno runs in here.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Link is showing broken for me; maybe work filter.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm seeing it, damn good looking dyno. I think that'll be a solid base line for your tuning, which I'm extremely excited for! Cobb is taking too long! They better hurry or my money will go to a 3 letter tuning company and not a 4 letter one. I'm putting that out there because I know that will speed up their development :)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Nice looking run. Did you do the pull in 6th?

Dyno runs are typically done in 3rd or 4th gear. 6th would be some extremely high wheel speeds on a dyno, and very unnecessary. If I remember correctly, the gear with the ratio closest to 1:1 is ideal/preferred.

NSchultz7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 Turbo Blue S4
So this was done on an AWD dyno.. what should the assumed drivetrain loss be? 15 or 20%?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
About 330 stock flywheel HP by your estimate. VERY nice.

Makes me wonder what APR is selling with their "Plus 320 HP" tune. Don't they usually quote flywheel HP for their tunes?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
About 330 stock flywheel HP by your estimate. VERY nice.

Makes me wonder what APR is selling with their "Lite 320 HP" tune. Don't they usually quote flywheel HP for their tunes?

That's only accurate or comparable for that dyno, that day, etc. I know this has been said ad nauseam but a dyno is a tool for tuning. Dyno's can vary wildly by brand and type, and there can be variations based on temperature, altitude, fuel type, etc.

So this dyno can be used for MAPerformance's future Cobb tuning to show the gains for that car, but it SHOULDN'T be used for comparison of another dyno of a totally different car.

APR provides their "baseline" dyno to show gains for their tune, and that's all you can really compare. Otherwise, you're gonna have a bad time.