GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Button under Accelerator

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sandman, you're mistaken the speed limiter with the cruise control. The speed limiter do just this. It limits the speed to a preset velocity no matter how deep you press the gas pedal. Until you press the "button" at the end of the travel. I don't know though, if the NA models even have this function. All European models from all makes combine the cruise control with the speed limiter for a decade now.

I do not think NA has this speed limit option.
We can set a speed warning that if exceeded alerts us but we can drive thru as normal. If ROW has this option, then now I understand how this button works along with speed limiter

Sound like in USA the MT has not much use for button but has the button in pedal but not activated and the DSG uses it as a panic button to quickly accelerate if needed. So the MT guys could hook this button up to activate nitrous!

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
When I have raced I usually turn off my air so I guess wouldn't notice any changes with the button. 6mt. Also tuned so idk if that disables the button. As far as speed limiter with cruise control, I'm confused on this topic because I see cruise control as a setting to stick to one speed, why would u go wot lmao, I would think if u have a speed limiter applied no matter if u are on cruise on control or driving it would still hit u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
When I have raced I usually turn off my air so I guess wouldn't notice any changes with the button. 6mt. Also tuned so idk if that disables the button. As far as speed limiter with cruise control, I'm confused on this topic because I see cruise control as a setting to stick to one speed, why would u go wot lmao, I would think if u have a speed limiter applied no matter if u are on cruise on control or driving it would still hit u.

The cruise control is active above ~40Km/h (I don't remember the exact speed). The speed limiter works from lower speed to not exceed the speed limit of an area of 30Km/h for instance. Do not forget that the roads in Europe are much smaller and extra safety is required in a school area which is into a small suburb of an old city for example. Then, the cruise control could not operate but a speed limiter is functional in this scenario.

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
Yea I'm in Miami Florida here and everyone is a certified NASCAR driver even the 90 year old blind woman. Safety is over rated lmfao I need to gtfo of here

I have ACC and this speed-limiter-and-button-under-accelerator-thing and let me say I love it.
While I use radar-based ACC every day, I still need to override it for certain situations. As I
prefer not getting a ticket, I still appreciate having the speed limiter. Again, I want to be able
to override that one also.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
The best kick-down switch I have ever discovered was in a 5.0L TDI Touareg. I replaced the turbos and took it for some drives. I did that for a few days in a row before delivering it back. But during the test drives I got braver and braver, pushed the new turbos more and more. I found myself very disappointed with the WOT, not the V10 TDI people had told me about.

Little did I know I wasn't pushing the pedal down all the way, or hard enough. The kick-down switch was very stiff, almost like the owner hadn't pushed it down for a long time themselves. When it did though, my skinny ass was practically through the seat seam and in the backseat lol. WOW!

KyleKisstro

Passed Driver's Ed
On a manual what does it do when pressed?
It can not drop a gear so how strong is the reaction when pressed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Button feels the same from my DSG and my 6MT. Next time I'm driving I'll see if there's any added poooof by pushing it in versus just before it. I always push it in for satisfaction.

e3syler

Passed Driver's Ed
So as some have said when you engage the button it drops a gear or two and I asked myself like others why do I need it when the computer will drop it down in the preferred gear while driving in D mode when I floor it so I decided to test it this morning on my way to work via the interstate and as I suspected when I accelerated (weather it be slamming to the floor or a steady but quick push to the floor) I found the result the same, the computer would respond as quickly as I did to drop to the preferred gear BUT I had a thought, will it do the same in manual shift mode? So I pushed the shifter to the M potion and cruised at 68mph and slammed it to the floor without activating the button and I got nothing it just accelerated faster but no drop in gear so I did it again and this time I activated the button and she dropped to 3rd gear (tried it twice) so I thought to myself maybe the sole purpose of the button is for manual mode as it's easy to forget your in M mode when cruising on the interstate.
Just my thoughts and results from playing with it I'm my 16 autobahn pp edition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
2015 Manual GTI SE and I can confirm the kick down button is NOT there.

KyleKisstro

Passed Driver's Ed
I would be very disappointed if my car didn't have it because my other VW did. I'm glad they added it even if it does nothing for the manuals. Maybe it's a placebo to make us think we are going lightspeed

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So as some have said when you engage the button it drops a gear or two and I asked myself like others why do I need it when the computer will drop it down in the preferred gear while driving in D mode when I floor it so I decided to test it this morning on my way to work via the interstate and as I suspected when I accelerated (weather it be slamming to the floor or a steady but quick push to the floor) I found the result the same, the computer would respond as quickly as I did to drop to the preferred gear BUT I had a thought, will it do the same in manual shift mode? So I pushed the shifter to the M potion and cruised at 68mph and slammed it to the floor without activating the button and I got nothing it just accelerated faster but no drop in gear so I did it again and this time I activated the button and she dropped to 3rd gear (tried it twice) so I thought to myself maybe the sole purpose of the button is for manual mode as it's easy to forget your in M mode when cruising on the interstate.
Just my thoughts and results from playing with it I'm my 16 autobahn pp edition

There is a difference between kickdown (110%) and full throttle (100%) in DSGs. Kickdown will select the absolute lowest possible gear for the given speed you're going. In other words, if you're moving a speed that, if the car were to downshift to 1st gear @6K RPM, it would. Which is useless, because it'd shift back to 2nd a quarter of a second later once 1st got to 6500RPM. Whereas, at the same speed, if you had gone full throttle (no kick down switch) it would downshift to 2nd which is a more ideal gear.

In essence, kickdown is really just a useless feature (in America, at least). It aims to put you in the lowest gear possible for a the speed you're moving at the time you activate it, which more often than not puts you out of the power band of the engine/turbo.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
There is a difference between kickdown (110%) and full throttle (100%) in DSGs. Kickdown will select the absolute lowest possible gear for the given speed you're going. In other words, if you're moving a speed that, if the car were to downshift to 1st gear @6K RPM, it would. Which is useless, because it'd shift back to 2nd a quarter of a second later once 1st got to 6500RPM. Whereas, at the same speed, if you had gone full throttle (no kick down switch) it would downshift to 2nd which is a more ideal gear.

In essence, kickdown is really just a useless feature (in America, at least). It aims to put you in the lowest gear possible for a the speed you're moving at the time you activate it, which more often than not puts you out of the power band of the engine/turbo.

Agree.
Unless it can also blow flames out the back.