GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I'm jealous. Just not sure if I'm keeping this car long term. I want to keep a wagon and I'm really tempted to trade up to a 4 motion. Just not crazy about the alltrack and want a higher level than S

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
The only thing keeping me from doing this is my frontal lobe, LOL. If I do the IS20, I want to do the DP at the same time. If I do that, then I am concerned about fueling without a flash tune. If I need the flash tune, then it is even more $ and I really just wanted to stay with the JB4. Also, I can see myself trading up to an R or something else in a year or two. So, this would not be cost effective and I really don't want to have to go back in and remove everything. Meanwhile, the auto geek in me just wants to say f&*! it and do it! Decisions, decisions...

Awesome write-up! I wonder if the is20's wastegate needs to be tested/adjusted after the install, similar to the is38? See APR's video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sne8-9svmN0

I was concerned about that when I was doing the install, but when I had both of them next to each other their wastegates felt the exact same, so I figured because my IS20 is used that it was unnecessary. I haven't gotten any issues so I think my assumption was correct. If you get a new IS20 you will probably need to do that.

Wastegate adaption is plug and play. Start to finish job took me 3-4h. Good write up

This was one of my questions. If the IS20 comes off a GTI, and someone hasn't messed with it, then it appears to be plug and play as you guys have obviously demonstrated. However, if you have VCDS, it makes sense to run the test before the DP is installed as they do in the video. You can do it without starting the motor and it just takes a few minutes. Might be good to add this into the instructions as a "tip".

joofcorn

Ready to race!
I'm jealous. Just not sure if I'm keeping this car long term. I want to keep a wagon and I'm really tempted to trade up to a 4 motion. Just not crazy about the alltrack and want a higher level than S

Whats keeping you away from the Alltrack. I just grabbed one and am loving it so far, especially since it gets the 6MT. However, for reference I did just spend the last year stuck in my wife's old automatic Toyota matrix, so just about anything with a manual and more than 130 hp would have helped me forget that 3,000 lb sleeping pill.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The only thing keeping me from doing this is my frontal lobe, LOL. If I do the IS20, I want to do the DP at the same time. If I do that, then I am concerned about fueling without a flash tune. If I need the flash tune, then it is even more $ and I really just wanted to stay with the JB4. Also, I can see myself trading up to an R or something else in a year or two. So, this would not be cost effective and I really don't want to have to go back in and remove everything. Meanwhile, the auto geek in me just wants to say f&*! it and do it! Decisions, decisions...

I think it will be cheaper to swap injectors than get a flash tune.

This was one of my questions. If the IS20 comes off a GTI, and someone hasn't messed with it, then it appears to be plug and play as you guys have obviously demonstrated. However, if you have VCDS, it makes sense to run the test before the DP is installed as they do in the video. You can do it without starting the motor and it just takes a few minutes. Might be good to add this into the instructions as a "tip".

That's not a bad idea. I didn't include originally it because I didn't do it myself when installing as it doesn't work with OBDeleven (at least with my attempts).

Last edited:

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I think it will be cheaper to swap injectors than get a flash tune.

I was hoping to hear more about the injectors from George in the JB4 1.8 thread. I'll ask him about it the next time I email, if we don't find out sooner. I know he was also working on some 1.8 fueling tweaks in general that may come out in the next JB firmware, so hopefully we'll find out more about that as well.

The ECU is so intelligent running in closed loop all the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are a simple plug and play upgrade. Plus, since the JB4 let's you adjust the fuel pressure at the top end, I would moreso be concerned about the ECU compensating properly during idle and normal cruising. Seems like it should work fine. They would run about $90 each and I would have to install them (depressurize high pressure fuel system, make sure you don't pinch an o-ring causing a leak etc.). Not hard from my experience on a couple other cars, but a little annoying since there isn't anything wrong with them, LOL. My luck, I would get bad part and it would be a PITA, hahaha! Always in the back of my mind though since it is my daily driver.

P.S. from the pics of the fuel rail, it looks like you would have to pull the whole rail out, replace the injectors, and reinstall. Not a big deal if doing all 4 at the same time. Kinda sucks for replacing 1 injector though.

That's not a bad idea. I didn't include originally it because I did it myself when installing as it doesn't work with OBDeleven (at least with my attempts).

Cool, I see you updated the instructions with the VCDS tip, thanks! I was wondering if OBD11 worked for things like this. It wasn't out yet when I bought my VCDS, but I would have been tempted to buy if it was. Hopefully they will fix it if it is not working.

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Whats keeping you away from the Alltrack. I just grabbed one and am loving it so far, especially since it gets the 6MT. However, for reference I did just spend the last year stuck in my wife's old automatic Toyota matrix, so just about anything with a manual and more than 130 hp would have helped me forget that 3,000 lb sleeping pill.

I don't like all of the cladding and the high ride height. My GSW handles better and I can easily swap springs and sway bars for improvement. I'd imagine the alltrack would need new dampers to lower it as well. Then there is still the cladding. I would love the awd traction though. I was excited when I heard that the GSW was getting 4motion, but then totally disappointed when I saw it's only in the S trim. They are forcing people to have to go to the alltrack. The 6 spd manual is a nice offering, but I would do a dsg all day. Car is a daily driver outside NYC and I've already had my share of stick shift cars in my 29 years of driving

Ton

Go Kart Newbie

Ply your frontal lobe with some whiskey and pull out your tools. Even without injectors or a flash the IS20 is well worth doing.

I don't have a flash or injectors and the gain with the is20 feels insane compared to the is12. Where the 12 gives up, the 20 keeps pulling. Its silly really.

I have a test spot where there is a long uphill after a sweeping corner. I take the corner in third then hammer down. If the roads are wet, the is20 will brake the tires loose at past 60mph in this spot and engage the traction control. It's kinda crazy for a car that started at around 160 wheel hp.

Injector set is 100-150 on ebay if I want to add more silliness.

Mk7 platform in all variants is some kind of gift. Talking with a guy at work about this stuff, he thinks I'm making it up, or being an idiot. Then I show him Burger, APR, Uni, and some timeslips from this site. Mouth shut.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Ply your frontal lobe with some whiskey and pull out your tools. Even without injectors or a flash the IS20 is well worth doing.

I don't have a flash or injectors and the gain with the is20 feels insane compared to the is12. Where the 12 gives up, the 20 keeps pulling. Its silly really.

I have a test spot where there is a long uphill after a sweeping corner. I take the corner in third then hammer down. If the roads are wet, the is20 will brake the tires loose at past 60mph in this spot and engage the traction control. It's kinda crazy for a car that started at around 160 wheel hp.

Injector set is 100-150 on ebay if I want to add more silliness.

Mk7 platform in all variants is some kind of gift. Talking with a guy at work about this stuff, he thinks I'm making it up, or being an idiot. Then I show him Burger, APR, Uni, and some timeslips from this site. Mouth shut.

Hahaha, good stuff. Your words are likely just as strong as the whiskey...just sayin'. I agree, this platform is pretty amazing. MAF/Shaff, we don't need no stinking MAF, 100% closed loop is king!

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Can anyone else confirm that the TDI uses the same injectors as the GTI? If so, what about all of the cars getting crushed, will they sell parts off of them? And so far I'm running trims as high as 50 with good AFR. 20.5psi with 50 IAT. Carrying over 20 psi from 3,500-4,600. I'm a little over 18psi at 5,000, but it drops to 13 by 6,000. I'm going to tweak it a little more today since I have a little milder weather. Should be able to pick up a little more across the range

Last edited:

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Can anyone else confirm that the TDI uses the same injectors as the GTI? If so, what about all of the cars getting crushed, will they sell parts off of them? And so far I'm running trims as high as 50 with good AFR. 20.5psi with 50 IAT. Carrying over 20 psi from 3,500-4,600. I'm a little over 18psi at 5,000, but it drops to 13 by 6,000. I'm going to tweak it a little more today since I have a little milder weather. Should be ab
le to pick up a little more across the range

Your still is12 right? If so, isn't 12-13 psi maxed out at 6000rpm?

Also

http://m.ebay.com/itm/15-16-VOLKSWA...INJECTORS-OEM-J-949A-/142242813972?nav=SEARCH

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Hahaha, good stuff. Your words are likely just as strong as the whiskey...just sayin'. I agree, this platform is pretty amazing. MAF/Shaff, we don't need no stinking MAF, 100% closed loop is king!

I may have been born with whisky brain. Part irish so I'm told

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Your still is12 right? If so, isn't 12-13 psi maxed out at 6000rpm?

Also

http://m.ebay.com/itm/15-16-VOLKSWA...INJECTORS-OEM-J-949A-/142242813972?nav=SEARCH

From what I've seen, APR is getting like 14+ on stage 2. Don't know if I can do it with JB4. I was at 13.9 at 5,968 rpms, but I had to shut down early and couldn't wind it out all the way. That was also when I had my targets lower. My trims were hitting 48 at that point, but my AFR was 13.4-13.5 steady up to it. IAT was 55. I'm going to see if I can get another log in a bit. I ran one this morning but had my target set at 12.1 at 5,000 instead of 21. I forgot to remove the 1 when I upped it from 19. And I don't mean to hijack this great thread and right up, I just figured it is still useful for the fuel injector limits that guys will be up against without stacking.