GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

visiting san antonio this next week. anyting to see and eat?

Festivus1

Passed Driver's Ed
Lots of cool sites around San Antonio. There are Spanish missions much like what you have back in Cali, and of course the Alamo which is in the downtown area. In that same general area there is the Riverwalk with a bunch of high end stores, restaurants etc, and the Hemisfair tower from the 1968 World's Fair.

If you are more into outdoors activity, there is a Six Flags amusement park (Fiesta Texas) on the northwest side of town, right across the highway from UT San Antonio. It is very easy to get to from the airport area. A short drive futher in that same direction will take you to Boerne and then to Kerrville which are nice areas in the Hill Country - there are several caves like Cascade Caverns. Going a bit north from that area you can zip over to Fredericksburg (old German town with a nifty WWII museum), Luchenbach, Llano. Near Llano you can visit Enchanted Rock (big granite dome) or hunt for blue topaz, visit any of the Highland Lakes in the area.

Just north of San Antonio is New Braunfels, which has one of the world's top water parks (Schlitterbahn) centered on the Comal Springs, one of the biggest natural springs in Texas. In our state, clear natural ground water is an EXTREME rarity so the springs are kind a national treasure for folks. In this same area people go tubing on the Guadalupe River (floating along on an inner tube with a cooler of beer floating behind). A bit further north of New Braunfels is San Marcos, which has the former Aquarena Springs which is an even bigger spring than the one in New Braunfels, you can take a glass bottom boat ride or do some paddle boarding.

If you are a younger guy and looking for non-outdoors activity, about an hour north of San Antonio (easy drive on I-35) is Austin, home of the University of Texas and also the state's most "happening" night life venue which is the Sixth Street music district. Lots of fun, the general atmosphere in Austin would make a Californian feel right at home since the city is packed with expatriate Californians now. Austin of course has a major spring of its own, Barton Springs which is one of the biggest spring fed pools in the state and generally packed with a luscious assortment of UT co-eds that makes a a trip there well worthwhile. :D

If you are looking for more Texas-like activity, all around San Antonio are ranches and gun stores, you can go rent a horse and do some riding or visit a gun range and rent some hardware to do some target blasting, lots of fun stuff a very short drive from the airport area.

Hope you have a great trip!!!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wow. Pretty much sums it up.

I will add some restaurants depending on what you like.

Asian hole in the wall
Kung fu noodle (there make their own)

On the Riverwalk
Boudro's

best gourmet pizza
Dough

best breakfast, but reserve ahead of time
Magnolia pancake haus

Awesome lamb burger
The Cove. Mostly outdoor seating so if it's hot, might think about it

Damn good Middle eastern
Pasha

awesome high end
Cappy's

Top tip
If going to Tower of the Americas, instead of buying tickets, just go have lunch at restaurant at the top, then your admission to Tower is free and you can use tar towards lunch, which admittedly is pricey. Still works out in your favor.

And if you're a basketball fan, try to catch a Spurs game.

Ready to race!
great recommendations guys. I might try them all. I'm always willing to try something new. eating is my thing. I would like to try the shooting range. it sounds dangerous but in a safe capacity. never done cave touring. I don't want to get lost or trapped in one of those. I don't drink so I'm thinking I might be missing out on the night life over there. unless there are more to that?

Festivus1

Passed Driver's Ed
Some people drink of course on 6th street :D but the main attraction is the live music scene, it is packed with clubs with a wide diversity of music. Used to be the home stomping grounds of Stevie Ray Vaughn, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, lots of other rock / blues / folk / country / jazz acts. Endlessly entertaining.

The cave things are perfectly safe, they are conducted in tours no chance of getting lost. Cascade Caverns near Boerne has a waterfall inside, pretty neat. On the north side of San Antonio right off I-35 before you get to New Braunfels is Natural Bridge Caverns, it is pretty cool. If you want to drive up through the Hill Country north of San Antonio, a really cool cave is just south of Burnet, it is called Longhorn Caverns and has some interesting features and history - over the years the main large room in the cave was used by Indians, then by Confederate soldiers, later as a speakeasy and dance hall during the Prohibition era. Has a bunch of nifty crystal formations that are worth seeing. Caves are particularly fun in the Texas summer heat because of the cool temps down inside.

The gun ranges are also perfectly safe, places that rent guns just ask you for your driver's license and typically charge a nominal fee for the lane rental and the gun. If you want to try out pistols for example, a typical range visit might cost you $50 to $80 total including a box of ammo. The advantage of doing the rental is that they will generally let you try as many different guns as you like during your rental period with no additional cost, for example if you have bought a couple of boxes of 9mm ammo you could shoot a couple of clips through a Glock, then switch to a Sig, then a S&W, etc. Some of them also have full auto rental which will cost more, but is one hell of a lot of fun. For a hundred bucks or so you can play with some things that most people never get the opportunity to do. :D

EDIT: Also if you have never fired a gun before, most ranges will have people that are glad to give you some basic instruction and start you out with something like a .22 pistol or rifle. .22 LR ammo is pretty cheap so you can fire hundreds of rounds at nominal cost. You would likely be surprised how rapidly your marksmanship improves and be ready to move up to larger calibers very quickly. Shooting is a very fun and challenging hobby.

Festivus1

Passed Driver's Ed
Forgot to mention the stuff around the UT Austin campus. They have the Blanton Art Museum and also a large collection of rare books at the Ransom Center including the Gutenberg Bible. You can see the famous tower and the spots where scumbag nut sniper Charles Whitman killed a bunch of people in 1966. The campus is fun to explore, very large science and engineering facilities and one of the largest libraries in the country. They have a Tokamak, a very large linear accelerator, and various / sundry other installations that they used to let people visit, don't know what is accessible in the modern age where everybody is terrified of possible terrorist activity all the time.

Right up the street is the LBJ Presidential Library, which has some exhibits worth seeing. Austin also has the O. Henry museum and if you like that sort of thing O. Henry's house in San Antonio is also worth a visit.

Hope you have a great vist!