GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The 'Chimera' - Progression of my 1.8T by SKVeeDubR

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Any info on the Urban Joke V2 tails or a video??!

I'm loving this build.

Haha thanks very much! I am happy with how it is progressing!

for the UJV2 I don't have any videos personally, but you can find a couple on youtube with a quick search. This video gives a quick example of how my tails mostly function. Keep in mind I have the Scandinavian Tails enabled as well so mine will differ slightly as the tails are always on even with DRLs, but they function the same when indicating or with hazards (on/off, alternating)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ufVYNjMA9A

Side note - just installed OEM R LED tails on a friend's 2017 Golf R for him and damn they look good as well.... I'm so torn.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
two questions!

Any plans to add a rear spoiler of any kind?

Any trouble selecting urban joke tails thru the apps? We have the same car and it said it wasn't an available choice for mine. I just went and did it manually.

Quick side note for anyone who wants to reap the benefits of removing the NAR restrictions, you need appropriate hardware to experience any changes.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Answer(s) in bold:

two questions!

Any plans to add a rear spoiler of any kind?

I'm sure you saw the side spoiler (fins) I added.. I have to be honest - I REALLY like the looks of them and have ZERO complaints. That being said, the ONLY spoiler I am interested in otherwise is the Clubsport spoiler assembly. I'm thinking about it. Price is the limiting factor as I can do so much more with $1500 lol.

I have also considered the VW Accessories Golf Spoiler (I am a sucker for OEM+), paint it Pure White to match, then wrap the rest of the original metal spoiler in black to flow with the wrap on the roof, but due to the nature of how that accessories spoiler attaches I would have to give up the vertical side fins which I am not prepared to do.

Whatever I strive do it typically has to be subtle, tasteful, and look OEM to the untrained eye.

Any trouble selecting urban joke tails thru the apps? We have the same car and it said it wasn't an available choice for mine. I just went and did it manually.

I've heard of someone else having such a problem.. By chance had you previously made any changes to your tail light coding? I have again heard (but not confirmed myself), that if you are to use the app for the tail light coding, that you first have to set it to your original settings, then from there you can select your new value(s). I have to admit, I was lazy for the coding of the tails, and just used the app.. It was everything I wanted it to be, worked perfect.

Quick side note for anyone who wants to reap the benefits of removing the NAR restrictions, you need appropriate hardware to experience any changes.

Did you try this? I assume you would need the lighting pkg as all the restrictions in place for NAR under this selection revolve around your car's ability to level/raise lights, swivel lights on curves, and engage cornering lights..

I also heard that removing NAR restrictions make you immune to diesel gate moaners and bellyachers :D

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for your response! I too like the OEM kit spoiler. I think it's the best looking, least gaudy spoiler for the 1.8. I like the fins as well. I'll look at some more pics and see if I want to add them.

I do not have the lighting package. Maybe there is more included with it than I though. It includes the motors in the housings?

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for your response! I too like the OEM kit spoiler. I think it's the best looking, least gaudy spoiler for the 1.8. I like the fins as well. I'll look at some more pics and see if I want to add them.

I do not have the lighting package. Maybe there is more included with it than I though. It includes the motors in the housings?

Just remember, you can only do one or the other with regards to the spoiler vs fins you mentioned, as they are not compatible with each other..

If you do not have the lighting package you will not be able to get the functionality those cars get that do have the LP when removing NAR restrictions..

davidch

SK VeeDubR,

This is awesome thread. I am located in US and just ordered a Tungsten Silver 1.8T TSI Golf SEL with Lighting/Driver Assistance options several weeks back and should arrive soon. SEL in US is very similar to CA Highline except our sport seats are leatherette instead of real leather, we have steering wheel shifters but we do not have factory sport suspension... just standard. I had the factory sport springs on my Golf Mk6 TDI and really enjoy them for all around driving,etc. DG springs are a little lower than what I want on my long rough road commute, but think your factory OEM sport ones would be great compromise and seem nearly identical to what I had on my TDI. Do you happen to know the VW PNs on your original stock springs (front/rear)? Thx.

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
SK VeeDubR,

This is awesome thread. I am located in US and just ordered a Tungsten Silver 1.8T TSI Golf SEL with Lighting/Driver Assistance options several weeks back and should arrive soon. SEL in US is very similar to CA Highline except our sport seats are leatherette instead of real leather, we have steering wheel shifters but we do not have factory sport suspension... just standard. DG springs are a little lower than what I want on long rough road commute, but think your factory OEM sport ones would be great compromise. Do you happen to know the VW PNs on your original stock springs (front/rear)? Thx.

Hey Davidch,

Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated! And congrats on the new car soon to arrive, I know you will be very happy with it, the MQB platform is fantastic, and the 1.8T with some amenities is an extremely nice car! I also have an R as you probably have read, and I definitely don't mind (and sometimes actually prefer) driving the 1.8T haha!

Yes, the factory sport springs that came on Canadian 1.8T Highlines (with sport pkg) are the best of both worlds!

I can try to get you those PNs as I'm sure they are stamped on the springs - tell ya what, I'll even sell you mine (already off the car, only a couple thousand miles, never saw inclement weather, no salt no snow etc), and I'll sell them for like half price or something vs what you would have to pay new.

shoot me a pm to discuss!

davidch

Hey Davidch,
Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated! And congrats on the new car soon to arrive, I know you will be very happy with it, the MQB platform is fantastic, and the 1.8T with some amenities is an extremely nice car! I also have an R as you probably have read, and I definitely don't mind (and sometimes actually prefer) driving the 1.8T haha!
Yes. I actually like the simplicity and elegant styling of std golf vs gti. The R styling falls somewhere in between but with huge bump in performance:D. Your R in blue is the classic color and the only one I would consider for an R
Yes, the factory sport springs that came on Canadian 1.8T Highlines (with sport pkg) are the best of both worlds!
Agree. We had that option on the mk6 golf TDIs here in US. My 2011 is my DD and now has over 130k miles. Buyback scheduled turn in date is March 4 but may need to delay depending on when my TSI arrives
I can try to get you those PNs as I'm sure they are stamped on the springs - tell ya what, I'll even sell you mine (already off the car, only a couple thousand miles, never saw inclement weather, no salt no snow etc), and I'll sell them for like half price or something vs what you would have to pay new.

shoot me a pm to discuss!
Cool. If they only have few thousand miles, I would be interested. I will do some research and pm you an offer.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Yes. I actually like the simplicity and elegant styling of std golf vs gti. The R styling falls somewhere in between but with huge bump in performance:D. Your R in blue is the classic color and the only one I would consider for an R

Agree. We had that option on the mk6 golf TDIs here in US. My 2011 is my DD and now has over 130k miles. Buyback scheduled turn in date is March 4 but may need to delay depending on when my TSI arrives

Cool. If they only have few thousand miles, I would be interested. I will do some research and pm you an offer.

Hey there!

Confirmed those PNs for the factory Springs directly from my parts guy - looks like the rears may have been superseded from AM to GJ?

Fronts - 5QM 411 105 K
Rears - 5Q0 511 115 GJ

Of course I don't expect anywhere near retail new OEM prices.. Just make me a reasonable offer if interested!

Cheers!

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
03/01/2017 - more 'tweaks' with OBDEleven

Prob one of my fav visual updates, once again to the lighting, was to code the DRLs/Fogs to act as my CH/LH lights instead of the dipped beams (Will post a pic soon). They fade on and fade out, and the car looks slightly more badass now haha!

(Waiting until I swap wheels/nicer weather to put in new H11s in efforts to better match my fogs with my DRLs)

Also coded:
- 'Offroad' data on the multimedia screen
- Video In Motion
- XDS changed from 'Standard' to 'Medium'
- Starting Vibration Reduction from 'Normal' to 'Deactivated'

Will have to see how I like the last two tweaks once the pavement is dry and I have my summers on.. Winter may not be an accurate representation of the full functionality of these changes.. Also performed the above tweaks to my R.. Curious which car the last two settings will have more of an impact on, but I suspect I will notice these tweaks more on the 1.8T..

Last edited:

erichhart

Passed Driver's Ed
I like the fins!..though I'm curious what they would look like if it was also white

so clean

also i just finally bought the part i needed for your short shifter I know its been a while but it will be on soon and I'll post it up on my journal too :)

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I like the fins!..though I'm curious what they would look like if it was also white

so clean

also i just finally bought the part i needed for your short shifter I know its been a while but it will be on soon and I'll post it up on my journal too :)

Thanks - And now you have me thinking too!!

And yes please do post up your review of the shifter and lemme know when you install!

Cheers!

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Oh hey there..

OEM Power Folding Mirrors!

WITH DAP!

and puddle lights!

And this random thing I'm pointing at that I don't recall why I'm pointing but I'm going to include this pic anyways because it's MY thread and I can do what I want!

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
A curious thing..

Here is another interesting thing I thought I'd share. I Bought this Euro power folding mirror switch from Europe..

Just as everyone has said about the Euro switch versus the switch that comes with the Chinese folding Mirrors from AliExpress, these are not painted on the backside. Some have speculated the Chinese market AliEx ones were molded in a different plastic (black as opposed to white), however I can assure you the chinese ones are just painted on both sides, look close on a chinese switch and you will see certain spots in the crevasses that are lightly covered or not painted at all.

The second thing I can confirm is the switchgear on this Euro switch is definitely similar to the mirror switch in our cars now, being a 'soft-touch' or 'soft-click'. The AliExpress ones have almost an audible/crisp snap/click, Now this totally comes down to personal preference. I would say I prefer the 'soft-click' of the Euro piece, however the Chinese piece looks to be better finished on the backside if that matters. There were a few complaints of the AliEx illumination not matching the rest of the car, but those could have just been a bad piece, as most all I've seen look to be spot on.
Now here is the kicker.. this Euro switch - Hecho in China lol!!

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
04/16/2017 - Look what the Easter Bunny brought me!

In my quest to further enhance and refine my OEM+ approach I finally acquired some OEM Pretoria's. You may recall in my original post on this thread I mentioned my desire to have these wheels, well after many trials and tribulations I finally have a set!

I was able to secure a low-mileage set, basically takeoffs, in excellent condition. This particular set was manufactured by Borbet. BBS being the other official supplier of Pretorias. I am not aware of the inter manufacturer differences, although I assume there must be some?

19x8 et50. approx. 21lbs/wheel. Lowered on VW DG springs

Any concerns I had plus-sizing to a 19" on the little 1.8T were immediately swept away during the initial test-drive. The OEM Pretoria's, utilizing flow-formed technology, make for a strong and light wheel. These wheels in fact weigh a few ounces less than my 18" OZ's I previously had on the car. The combination of the overall weight reduction in wheel/tire combo, combined with the superior Continental rubber on the Pretoria's, made for some confidence-inspiring handling in the curves. The stock 1.8T handles these wheels well, as having an even lighter wheel/tire combo on a smaller engine really helps to liven things up! While there is perhaps a slight degradation in comfort when driving over rough roads, this is vastly offset by both the aesthetic and the performance aspects. However, now that I have a very 'open' wheel, I REALLY need to do something about these anemic brakes that come on the 1.8T..

Last edited: