GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Infotainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics)

Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #273
StealthGTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaguy View Post
Just an update, I programmed my helix with the dongle and really didn't notice any improvement to the sound. I think I may have received one of the helixes that were preprogrammed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHen View Post
I had the same exact experience. My soundbox sounds very nice; much improved over stock. Then when I properly programmed it with the dongle (dialed up 57 for 4-dr GTI, pushed in button, got dots then PF), I noticed little, if any, difference.
I concur with these two observations. My sound changed, just not dramatically. That said, I still think this dongle rental thread is a great idea, even if for some it only serves to make sure the job is complete.

Quote:
The most beneficial tweaking of the box after install for me was adjusting the gain screw. I set it at around 75% and it has very nice, deep bass, but not overpowering/clipping.
I hadn't messed with my gain screw. My system sounds good, especially now that my subwoofer system is tweaked. But it's a good reminder to know that the screw is there. I've been contacted by someone who says his Helix sounds terrible above about 30% volume. I wonder if his gain is cranked too high and causing problems. I'll have to contact him to have him tinker with it.

Scott

2017 GTI Sport, 6MT Reflex Silver, KE4WMF
StealthGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #274
BlueHen

Drives: '16 GTI S PP LP 6M 4dr NBM
Stealth, just make sure to use a true eyeglass repair size Phillips screwdriver. The smallest one in my toolbox, while small in its own right, was still too big to turn it. Go to the reading glass section in the pharmacy area at Super Walmart and they sell repair kits for like $1.99.
No-charge VCDS tweaking in Lower DE - just shoot me a PM
BlueHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM   #275
rawrmcrawrrawr

Drives: 2010 Jetta
Quote:
Stealth, just make sure to use a true eyeglass repair size Phillips screwdriver. The smallest one in my toolbox, while small in its own right, was still too big to turn it. Go to the reading glass section in the pharmacy area at Super Walmart and they sell repair kits for like $1.99.
When you adjusted the gain screw, did you turn it up or down? Do you know what it's set at initially?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
rawrmcrawrrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:22 AM   #276
BlueHen

Drives: '16 GTI S PP LP 6M 4dr NBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrmcrawrrawr View Post
When you adjusted the gain screw, did you turn it up or down? Do you know what it's set at initially?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
I wasn't able to discern where it was initially. Clockwise adds gain.

Save yourself time by adjusting it with the system playing, preferably something with prominent bass. The change is unmistakable when you are adjusting it. At 40% volume, you can swing from barely any bass to clipping like crazy.
No-charge VCDS tweaking in Lower DE - just shoot me a PM
BlueHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #277
StealthGTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the tip. I already have a set of jeweler's screwdrivers. But I think I'll leave the adjustment alone. The system sounds good already. Just nice to know the adjustment is available.

2017 GTI Sport, 6MT Reflex Silver, KE4WMF
StealthGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #278
wy2sl0

Drives: 2016 GTI S
There is no time alignment from the factory. That is the single biggest improvement of SQ with a DSP (this setup). Most people probably don't notice it, but that is the key to somewhat accurate reproduction. I see most people here talking about bass which is not really a factor in SQ.
wy2sl0 is offline   Reply With Quote