GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mud Flaps/Splash Guards - Yes or No

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I decided to take a gamble on some OEM replica MK7 GTI mud guards from a company called "Red Hound". I'd never heard of them before but I found them here. Most of the OEM replicas I'd seen were for the Golf not the GTI. Got them for $40 so I figured why not.

They are a US company but the guards are made in China. The plastic itself is decent quality and blends in well with the other black trim on the car. The fit is very good - maybe not as perfect as OEM but I haven't seen those to be able to really comment. The drivers side front I got a small 2-3 mm gap but that was probably my installation (didn't quite get the positioning of one of the screws perfect). The screws they provided are not great and one of the rear ones I stripped the screw while mounting so I used the OEM one instead and it worked fine.

Basically, if you're looking for a less expensive but decent quality alternative to the OEM ones you might want to give them a try.

Pics: (please excuse the dirty car, we're expecting rain again this week so haven't bothered washing her)

So do these look exactly like OEM? Sorry I haven't seen enough mudflaps up close to know the difference. Looks good though.

I think mudflaps look best on dark colored cars.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
So do these look exactly like OEM? Sorry I haven't seen enough mudflaps up close to know the difference. Looks good though.

I never thought of it that way but that seems to be a big deciding factor now that you mention it. Black or other dark cars seem to pull them off. But when I see a white WRX w translucent red flaps I cringe.

Still no for me, in answer to the question. But the OEM ones look best IMO so I'd go w those if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdave79

Ready to race!

As far as I can tell from pictures they look exactly like the OEM ones but I haven't seen the OEM ones in the flesh. From a distance you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart I think. I'd say if you're a perfectionist you might want to spend the extra $50 and go with OEM. But these are more than good enough and better quality that most of the cheaper knock offs you'd find on AliExpress or eBay.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

efa5

Ready to race!
I decided to take a gamble on some OEM replica MK7 GTI mud guards from a company called "Red Hound". I'd never heard of them before but I found them here. Most of the OEM replicas I'd seen were for the Golf not the GTI. Got them for $40 so I figured why not.

They are a US company but the guards are made in China. The plastic itself is decent quality and blends in well with the other black trim on the car. The fit is very good - maybe not as perfect as OEM but I haven't seen those to be able to really comment. The drivers side front I got a small 2-3 mm gap but that was probably my installation (didn't quite get the positioning of one of the screws perfect). The screws they provided are not great and one of the rear ones I stripped the screw while mounting so I used the OEM one instead and it worked fine.

Basically, if you're looking for a less expensive but decent quality alternative to the OEM ones you might want to give them a try.

I was on the fence but these seem like a great price for a fairly good fit. Might have to try them out, especially since I threw on the ECS flush kit with my Austins.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
As far as I can tell from pictures they look exactly like the OEM ones but I haven't seen the OEM ones in the flesh. From a distance you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart I think. I'd say if you're a perfectionist you might want to spend the extra $50 and go with OEM. But these are more than good enough and better quality that most of the cheaper knock offs you'd find on AliExpress or eBay.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

How was the install for these. Do you have to drill holes? If you do have to drill holes, can you see them if you remove the flaps?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
How was the install for these. Do you have to drill holes? If you do have to drill holes, can you see them if you remove the flaps?

On the OEM flaps you need to drill holes on the fender liner, I installed mine two years ago so not clear on how many holes but if you remove them you will not notice them

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
As far as the OEM ones, you'll need to drill Two holes in the liner plus one underneath for each front mudflap, 1 hole underneath and two holes in the wheel well liner for the rears as well. Take the wheels off to make it easier or, if you've got a right angle drill you may be able to do it with the wheels turned completely to one side.

ACE2

Ready to race!
Been thinking of getting some for my gti lately especially since my new wheels will be coming soon and they are wider. Was thinking of going OEM flaps but been doing a lot of reading about people getting dirt stuck in between flap and car which resulted in rubbing and paint/rust issues (maybe they installed wrong but it was a few different people). Then I saw rally armor didn't like the price and the length! Rokblockz was the next one I was looking at and they look really promising and cheapest of all 3 options. Just wondering what others think about them? My car theme is red and black but red flaps will be too flashy and an eyesore to most lol..so maybe just black ones
*edit* now looking at all the pics and what people are saying I think I'll go with oem lol
Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
I installed the rally armor flaps on my girls 2015 wrx. They look much more Rally than the VW OEM ones (hence the Rally Armor name probably). The VW OEM flaps probably sacrifice some function over aesthetics, but the look and fit of the OEM ones is what I was going for. I installed mine after a wash to limit the amount of grit between them and the body, but the tears only contact the wheel well and/or plastic bumper. The fronts may actually touch some metal on the lower corner of the front doors but I'm not too worried about rubbing as they are pretty tight fitting.

ACE2

Ready to race!
I installed the rally armor flaps on my girls 2015 wrx. They look much more Rally than the VW OEM ones (hence the Rally Armor name probably). The VW OEM flaps probably sacrifice some function over aesthetics, but the look and fit of the OEM ones is what I was going for. I installed mine after a wash to limit the amount of grit between them and the body, but the tears only contact the wheel well and/or plastic bumper. The fronts may actually touch some metal on the lower corner of the front doors but I'm not too worried about rubbing as they are pretty tight fitting.

Thanks for the info. Yea I think the aftermarket flaps are too big and bad looking on our cars now...at first I liked them but seeing how our cars are refined better than subies it doesn't make a good cosmetic look. Now I have to go buy or find some cheap OEM ones

ACE2

Ready to race!
I put the OEM mud flaps on my 2007 GTI and didn't have any rubbing/dirt/rust issues. I just put them on my 2017 Golf with no worries.
That's good to hear! I'm thinking like I mentioned before is that the people who complained about it hurting their paint after installation didn't adjust them right or something

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
That's good to hear! I'm thinking like I mentioned before is that the people who complained about it hurting their paint after installation didn't adjust them right or something

2 years with mine, no issues and they look as they should look.
No offense but to me the Subby Rally look on a GTI just makes it look like a clown car but that subjective and I don't like to criticize other members preferences but that's why I like the OEM flaps

ACE2

Ready to race!
2 years with mine, no issues and they look as they should look.
No offense but to me the Subby Rally look on a GTI just makes it look like a clown car but that subjective and I don't like to criticize other members preferences but that's why I like the OEM flaps

Have you ever tried removing yours for any reason and seeing what it looks like where it contacts the car by chance?