GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Suggestions

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
When I replace the 19's (Conti 5P) on my R, I will be looking for the following attributes, in this order of importance to me; comfort, handling, tire wear. Comfort is by far the most important thing to me. I figure I can get a good Michelin or Conti UHP summer tire for $200 each? Same size as stock, BTW.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
This might sound silly but I'd suggest a set of DWS. If i could have one whee/tire setup on the R, that's the setup I'd go with, year round - or at least that's what i told myself while cross shopping the two cars.

Reasons: good tire wear, excellent comfort, exellent rain traction, dry traction is more than edaquate for the R in the straights. The only area where one would not excel in with this tire is if you do canyon runs. The midwest doesn't have that problem.

I run MPSS in the warmer months - can't go wrong with them as im sure you already know that.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
For comfort and wear the normal high performance tires are not what one would think of first. I will suggest this but I know it will never be considered.
A comfortable tire with better wear than most HP tires look at the Bridgestone Ecopia line. I had a set on my truck and at interstate speeds with window down next to a barrier I could not hear them. Most tires would howl on a truck. Ride in a truck can be bouncy when tires new due to extra tread depth. Handling? Not sure on an R but with 4 wheels driving in Florida, likely be ok. If wear and comfort are in the top 3, these might be an option.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If staying at 19", DWS or Pirelli All Season Plus.

But if comfort is that important, why not downsize the wheels.
17" & 18" tires are much cheaper than 19".

You could maybe trade someone for their Austins or Durban or the Golf 17" wheel (Madrid??)

If you want new, selling the Cadiz will pay for a new set of wheels and part of the tires. Here's a set for $1300.

Attachments

• img20170320_234528.jpg
    img20170320_234528.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 388
But if comfort is that important, why not downsize the wheels.
17" & 18" tires are much cheaper than 19".
this ^
If comfort is important any 19" tire must fail. The same Conti SC 5P tire
will ride noticeably better in 18" size.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
While I realize the 35's won't ride as well as a higher profile tire of the same model, I find that lowering the pressures by 4 PSI does. Our roads here are pretty smooth, except where there's road construction. Unfortunately, there's always somewhere I drive with road construction. Our commissioners won't be happy until there's no green left. So while we don't have potholes we do have some rough surfaces and tar strips where they lay utilities prior to repaving.

I just looked at TR's selection tool and see it recommends the PSS, PS4S, and Conti ExtremeContact Sport. Only PSS has reviews. Curiously, PSS beats the Conti 5P in all categories, including treadwear, and it's only a couple hundred more for a set.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
While I'm at it, I was wondering what R owners are experiencing for front to back tire wear. I'm going to check mine this afternoon. They seem to be wearing fairly evenly at about 5,900 miles. I figure I'll have then balanced and rotated front to back next week. They probably don't rotating but I like to check the balances every year and it's not a big deal to move their locations.

Get them rotated when you have them balanced anyway. ;)

I just looked at TR's selection tool and see it recommends the PSS, PS4S, and Conti ExtremeContact Sport. Only PSS has reviews. Curiously, PSS beats the Conti 5P in all categories, including treadwear, and it's only a couple hundred more for a set.
Don't mind, they're all excellent. :) The 5P has slightly softer sidewalls
compared to the PSS, but that doesn't mean a new PSS with full tread
couldn't ride even little smoother. Generally new tires use to ride better.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Ahhh...you were born before they established it ;)

Almost. :) I never paid into it. I was offered a trades apprenticeship by Uncle Sam right out of high school. After 10 years I was offered an technical analyst internship that paid more, so I stayed for another 30 years.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
So what tires did you get?