GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shocks only or Shocks and springs replacement?

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Evening all,

Got a 2013 GTD with 56k on clocks which has both front shocks starting to weep ever so slightly. Having raised this with VW and found them to be not remotely interested as usual, I'm planning to replace them some time soon as they are going to need doing at some point now they are starting to leak. I just want to know whether you think it is worth getting the front springs replaced at the same time as the shocks are done?? The reason I ask is that I am currently doing 25k a year and with current mileage already on, don't really want to be going back into it all in 6 months for a spring? The springs look ok when looking up through the wheelarch but I just wondered whether you think it's worth it? Independent has quoted me £250 per side for new shocks, springs, top mounts and bearings all genuine and fitted...

Thanks,

Jamie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IDriveaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Unless vw uses really horrible springs I cannot see needing to replace the spring. I have never heard that springs are a wear item. I'd just get the shocks and call it a day.

Now unless you wanted to put some "sport" springs in there. That's a whole different story. Now would be the best time to do them.

If the springs' coat looks ok there's definitely no need to replace them.
Just get new dampers and strut bearings.
As a hint, I'd consider Koni Str.ts and Bilstein B4s as replacements. If
you go for the Konis better to replace all 4 corners. Fortunately they're
cheap enough.

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the advice. I am not looking to upgrade the suspension as such - just keeping it stock. I am having the B4's fitted on the back to combat the noise issue, but are the B4's better than the stock shocks on the front? How do they compare on cost? What is the benefit of the Koni's? Also, the guy who is fitting them for me offered me Boge shocks as an alternative to the genuine VW units for the front... Does anyone have any experience with these - I have never heard of them before? Are they any good? Thanks.

Bilstein B4s are intended as 1:1 replacements. Same twin-tube design as stock, same
(or almost same) valve tuning. So I wouldn't call them an upgrade, though I agree on
that they solve the noise issue.
Contrarily Bilstein B6s and Koni Str.ts are traditional upgrade dampers. Improved overall
design and quality. Bilstein B6 for example are single-tube principle which is more costly
to manufacture. They're tuned slightly stiffer, improving both handling and high-speed
stability, but in no way unbearable. While Konis are still twin-tube design they ride and
handle very similar. Both are great value. Google for Koni Str.t prices. You'll agree they
really aren't expensive.

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply. The front doesn't as far as I'm aware on these cars have any noise issues (apart from lower arm creak which shocks won't improve). As I'm not looking to upgrade and are looking to keep the car standard, I assume that price would be the main factor for deciding which of the mentioned shocks to go with?? I don't believe that the oem (Sachs I believe) front shocks have any underlying issues like the noise issue with the rears??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
SNIP... Bilstein B6s and Koni Str.ts are traditional upgrade dampers. Improved overall design and quality. Bilstein B6 for example are single-tube principle which is more costly to manufacture. They're tuned slightly stiffer, improving both handling and high-speed stability, but in no way unbearable.
As a longtime Bilstein B6 user I agree fully with this comment. In fact I installed B6's on our new 2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed a few weeks after buying the TDI, as we didn't like the performance of the factory shocks at all, with them crashing against their stops on fast roads with major dips. Over time we've discovered that the TDI feels very much like our 2015 Golf R DCC/DSG in 'Normal' suspension mode setting. A very good level of performance in our opinion.
-Rod

Right, Jamie, I too am not aware on any damper-related noise
issues on front. You're fine with Bilstein B4 front struts, but I
still tend to entrust the Koni Str.ts to you, since they're only
modestly stiffer and moreover, they even aren't pricier, making
them excellent value. It even seems worth trying the Konis on
front while keeping the B4s on rear. You'd feel if and how good
they match. Swapping rears just takes 30 minutes.

Thanks Rod. ;)