GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will I get charged extra for ordering?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
How would I negotiate a price and then drop them with the, "I'd like to order mine please"?

You say "I would like to order a GTI and here is what I would pay (name your price and exclude VW incentives). I would assume that any VW incentives at the time would apply on top if this (receive a head nod of conformation). Great! Let's put it in the order bank."

Not sure why you wouldn't negotiate up front. Why create an instance where they expect you to pay a much higher price? How disappointing would that be to wait months for you car and then them basically throw some stupid price at you because you didn't hammer out one prior?

I agree with the others. Buy one on a lot somewhere. Might have to concede to your 2nd color but you would save a lot more money. If you HAVE to have your exact car then you will certainly pay more for it.

bennybmn

Ready to race!
I did something similar recently, actually I'm in the middle of it. I put a refundable deposit down on a 6MT Alltrack in November as soon as I got my dieselgate letter. They waited and waited to hear from the motherland... I traded a few emails along the way, asking for updates, saying I'd seen some come in to other dealers, and asking if my deposit was still refundable. Finally a couple weeks ago one showed up in their system in one of my top color choices (it has the DAP which I wasn't going to go out of my way to pay for...). I said it sounds like it fits the bill, and give me a buzz to setup something. The sales guy called me and asked me what he could do to nail down the deal :eek: I was feeling the same way as you.. . how do I bring up price? What do I say? I'm not a pushy guy, ya know? But he brought it up. So I said let's make sure that loyalty bonus is still there when it comes in March, and knock some more off since I didn't want to pay for DAP. Definitely not the crazy sick deals guys are getting on GTIs, but it's a new model and I ordered it so I wasn't expecting miracles...

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Would you get charged extra? No. Would you lose negotiating power? Most likely, though not necessarily.

GFL

The plot thickened in my situation. The dealership called me today saying that the exact car I ordered was recently found "in port". I asked about the build date, mileage and exact location where it was found. The salesman said he did not know any of that information. I reminded him of a comment he made to me several weeks ago about VW sending an email to its dealerships saying that the Delmarva area had a pool of approximately 200 GTIs that would be the only remaining 2017 models available and that dealerships could select from that reserve. He eluded to VW having to make sure there was sufficient inventory to fulfill TDI buy backs. At that time, the salesperson also spoke about rumors of the factory in Mexico not making any more 2017 models as it was preparing for the upcoming facelift models. He remembered telling me- bet he wished he had not. I asked him about negotiating a price and he responded that he could and would not until the car was in the lot citing company and VW policy. Feeling like I was getting the run around, I cancelled my order immediately

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
So you're getting that GTI?

And if you need the VW discount (invoice minus $500)...send me a PM.
It's in addition to any incentives, btw.

So have them offer you their best price & then tell them AFTER....that you have that too, and it should drop a little from there (since they get reimbursed from VW using that, as opposed to just eating into their profit and/or using all the dealer cash)

GFL

I'm leaning toward a 2017 Audi A4 MT. Has to do as much with the dealership experience as anything else. Shame- I really enjoyed the GTI and practicality it offered.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm leaning toward a 2017 Audi A4 MT. Has to do as much with the dealership experience as anything else. Shame- I really enjoyed the GTI and practicality it offered.

I agree. This is one of the reasons I avoided VW so long. We have a pretty poor group of dealerships in our area, but any time I tried to deal with the local VW dealership, I felt like I was negotiating a deal at a buy here/pay here place. I finally just sucked it up and went to Atlanta. Definitely not the Audi experience but more similar.