GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD Hissing Noise on Idle

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Evening All,

Was topping the screenwash up this eve with engine running and noticed a sort of hissing noise coming from the top right side of the engine on idle. When revving the engine with the car stood, the hissing noise become a sort of whooshing noise? Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? No loss of power and no engine light on. Not sure whether it is connected but have also noticed a sort of thudding noise in time with the engine tickover coming from this side of the engine - could they be connected? Noise is there with clutch in and out so I don't think it is flywheel?

unido

I had a hissing noise on mine which sounded like one of my tyres was going down. After searching about online, ended up being the fuel pump and VW replaced under warranty. I had no issues with performance being affected etc it was just an annoying, pretty loud sound.

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a hissing noise on mine which sounded like one of my tyres was going down. After searching about online, ended up being the fuel pump and VW replaced under warranty. I had no issues with performance being affected etc it was just an annoying, pretty loud sound.

I've already had the noise you are thinking of and have had the fuel pump in the tank replaced. This is more of a hissing noise from the top-right hand side of the engine, sort of above and behind the gearbox area? Turns into a 'whoosh' when the throttle is pressed. No loss of power though....